Speed up the internet

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I have been bogging down lately while browsing so I spent some time messing around with ,sconfig, services.msc, cmd and so forth to see exactly what was going on inside my computer. All it took was simply opening my browser using the following method:

Go to Start
Click on "Run"
Enter iexplore -extoff

Remember to place a space between iexplore and the dash.

My machine is no longer locking up in Internet Explorer and is blazing fast. :wave:

What this does is stop all the bullshit widgets, facebook nonsense, etc. from slowing down your machine. I tested it by loading the loathesome Huffingtonpost website, which usually takes a full minute and a half and it loaded in seconds.

I'm not using IE any longer. I'm using a lot of flash stuff for real time financial data and IE seems to be not suited to deal with that efficiently.
I'm using Chrome and Firefox now.

If you have Spybot Search & Destroy installed (it's free and it works great IMO), try opening the Tools menu on the left hand side and then check the ActiveX and BHO options (one at a time naturally). Remove whatever you don't need or want. Check the System StartUp as well for same.

Ya Mike, I have firefox on the home machines, but here at the office I have four machines and five monitors that I use in my office, one FedGov, one State, one Municipal and my personal in-office speed demon. I use IE because that is what the goveernment agencies use. If i send a link in anything other than IE, they get kicked back. We do a lot of paperless stuff such as submittla packages and technical proposals which require massiv e internet usage, so I do what I can with the dinosaur they allow me to use.

First thing - get rid of internet exploder (well, you can't really, but you don't have to use it for other than microsoft update). It's the slowest and buggiest out there, though people are starting to say version 9-10 or so aren't as bad as they used to be....which means, still pretty bad, since every version before was simply amazingly horribly bad.

In my case, while I run windows in virtual box for those things that need windows - net access isn't one of those, and I set VB to not allow any of my windows instances to have connectivity to the 'net at all - they can share folders with the linux host for moving things around. Who needs microsoft security updates that take forever and break things if there's no way to get to my windows instance from outside? None of their update crap seems to actually fix anything, and sometimes does break things.

Then, download Chrome or Firefox. Heck, get both. Faster, safer, more speed than IE by far. Then, get adblock plus - which eliminates virtually all ads (works better on Firefox than on Chrome, since google is, after all, and ad company...). Some people also get noscript, which disables javascript (which has exploits for most browsers) but this makes some pages not work at all - lucky it's easy to turn on and off.

After you learn Firefox, you'll be amazed at the things it makes easy to customize to suit you. I've got around 30 tabs open right now, but tab groups is a feature that rocks too - you can bookmark/open pages in groups, so I might have a group for my day trading, one for hangin out, one for maintaining my website...and one click switches from this batch to that.

And, you lose a whole lot of attack surface compared to IE re things that can root your box. Firefox doesn't do ugly things like DCOM, which allows foriegn, unsigned code from ??? to run in your browser...but IE does, though I hear it's not the default anymore.

I do my money stuff from pure linux with firefox. Period. Nothing else even comes close to that safety level.

A penetration tester I paid couldn't crack my box from outside, while he was able to hand me both sides of my isp's RSA key in under a minute, and they were pretty freaked when I contacted them to ask if it really was their key...because it was. For that guy, a windows box wouldn't even take a minute to completely rape, root, install keyloggers etc. If you do business, using windows could be considered a lack of due diligence - if you lose customer data, it's your liability, for example.

Ancona, "send a link from anything but IE" I don't understand. A link is a link (universal resource locator). Has nothing to do with browser. OK, all browsers have a ID string they send with post requests - and guess what - even IE sometimes spoofs that to appear to be a safer browser(!). It's trivial to change this ID string in most browsers, but it does require editing a text file in some cases.

I'd still say it's worth the effort to get off IE if possible - you're willing to tweak that, this is often even less work.

Last edited:
I use FF and I am continually getting pages that do not respond. It was especially horrible when Flash was on this computer, but I uninstalled it years ago and it helped immensely. Of course, that means that I cannot watch videos of any kind, but I hated having pages lock up for 5 minutes at a time.

That said, I know there must be a hook somewhere in FF to disable more of the junk, like doubleclick and so on. I just don't know where to find it nor what the settings are.

However, I do know about the configuration hooks at about:config. I just don't know which ones will do the job. And ignorantly playing with that location could really screw up FF, possibly beyond hope.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd?hl=en

EDIT: sorry posted by mistake too early

For those stuck with IE, because of things you need/must use, see the link above. This is extension to Chrome, that opens a tab, within which, it launches &embeds IE (the way that you don't even see it). In short, it is a Chrome tab, with IE "backend" rendering, displaying, and doing all the work to present the page for you. It runs EXACTLY like IE, because it is IE - just embedded in Chrome tab. So things like ActiveX, broken pages that ONLY work with IE, SharePoint - you name it.

I am using it that way ever since. My work depends on IE/intranet sites, IE is the only supported browser by our IT department, but since I have discovered IE tab, I am not using IE anymore - happy days :)

With a little bit of configuration of IE Tab you can even add links/URLs, that will automatically open in IE Tab, therefore the whole thing starts to work seamlessly, and feels like Chrome all the time.

hope it will help some :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom