State Wants You to Get a Discount for Using Self Checkout

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

State Wants You to Get a Discount for Using Self Checkout​

Steve Lehto
Feb 13, 2023

And Rhode Island also wants to limit the number of self-checkouts per store. 11:49

Do they expect me to help unload the 18 wheelers at the loading docks as well?

Only way I am doing self-checkout is if I get paid for it. And I've been known to walk out of a grocery store leaving a loaded cart behind because they had long lines and only two checkers. Went up the street and got my groceries elsewhere.

Paying 10c for plastic grocery bags at the grocers will probably offset any discount.

Going from paper to plastic sure saved forests!

Of course we're saving the planet from certain death.

Never mind that plastic is used for every packaging imaginable from meats to cookies!

But hey, at least we're feeling good about it.

Those paper straws are what is going to save the Earth. Never mind the fact that they are individually wrapped in little plastic bags. Just ignore that fact. John Kerry has taken it upon himself to save us all from ourselves. What selflessness. A real hero.

green3.jpg

It's all going to automated order picking and home or drive thru delivery...my son is heavily involved in this....Walmart n Kroger are set to battle it out..... fwiw we refuse to use self checkout and will leave a cart if needed

Last edited:
It's all going to automated order picking and home or drive thru delivery...my son is heavily involved in this....Walmart n Kroger are set to battle it out..... fwiw we refuse to use self checkout and will leave a cart if needed

I've noticed that as well, but I'll be damned if I am going to have some 80 IQ gender-confused retard with green hair picking my produce for me. I want to squeeze those avocados myself. And the bananas have to have just the right amount of green on them.

I've noticed that as well, but I'll be damned if I am going to have some 80 IQ gender-confused <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets> with green hair picking my produce for me. I want to squeeze those avocados myself. And the bananas have to have just the right amount of green on them.
It's going totally automated ie robotics..ie no green hairs....if you want to pay twice the price and travel to a store you will be offered a "neighborhood walmart".......its already in the works whether we like it or not

It's getting so's one needs to learn how to grow their own food... i.e., homesteading....

This hopes to plug into customers' outrage at disappearing customer service.

But...when did it become the prerogative of government, to determine prices, profits, and order discounts? The crap in the store is property of the business (or its financier-banksters) until conditions are met, and a trade is concluded. That generally means money changing hands.

A third party, determining how much each should be, vis-a-vis each other, is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

When that third party is government, it's TYRANNY. Specifically, Price Controls. A key element, and first step, of a Command-and-Control economy.

No like the self-serve? Don't use it. Don't shop in stores where it's the only option.

You no like the higher prices at Hole Foods? Hey, that's the tradeoff..

I prefer the self-server...quicker, and I don't have to deal with the Special-Ed cashiers which seem to be the only kind left. THAT, I have a problem with. When I was a kid, a grocery-store cashier's job was a good-paying job. Women (always women) who could work the unique keyboard on a mechanical cash register quickly, could make about 5x Minimum Wage. About $8-$10 in those days.

The wages stayed the same, but inflation ate up the buying power. Meantime the grocery mega-corporations spent million$ installing bar-code readers. Suddenly, zero skill required.

AND...a new trick, done with the consent of the grocery workers' union. Keep the "new" hires at a part-time status and wage for YEARS...the carrot dangling just out of reach, for ten years and more, while they made about $6 an hour (1995 wages; I knew someone who was a cashier in a Denver Safeway).

Finally, just slowly phase out the job.

I have to wonder how it was we had affordable groceries AND professionally-trained-and-paid cashiers in the 1960s. But that's their watch; apparently one thing Black Rock and the Banksters never learned, was, the most-expensive thing in the world, is cheap help.

But it's their business. State Command-and-Control structures are just going to make things far worse.

It's getting so's one needs to learn how to grow their own food... i.e., homesteading....
We have to relearn how to do everything.

Because the autistic dweebs in Tech, and the Lizard Men in business, have made simple things SO frightfully difficult.

Like, simply getting a phone. Remember when after a move, you went down to the Mountain Bell office, met with the front-counter person, asked for service, answered a few questions, put down a deposit, and left with a time and date to meet the installer? NOW you have to navigate contracts, prices, TYPE of phone, BRAND of phone, hope the phone model is not unusable (pejorative) - and many of them are.

Watching tevee. Remember buying a set, getting it home, plugging it in and turning it on? Nope. Gotta have proprietary remotes, converters, services, contracts, Internet, Roke-eewww, that all add up to over $100 a month, OVER your Internet connection. So you can get 1000 channels of Woke.

Microwaves that can't be made to work properly - no pressing a time on a pad; no, you have to go through a long sequence of obscure buttons. Wristwatches with 150-page instruction manuals.

Now, I have to worry about the Jabbed quacks, COLLECTING MY JAB-REFUSNIK STATUS. Which is leaving me, effectively without medical care. All the rational physicians have been fired or marginalized - just the Woke zombies, Jabbed, brain-fogged, worshipping Fow Chee and Pfize-Er.

From the link:

Walmart, the largest private employer in the US, revealed on Tuesday plans to automate a large swath of its stores and warehouses within a three-year timeframe. This move aligns with the surge of artificial intelligence technologies being introduced into the economy to enhance efficiency; however, it also threatens to displace millions of jobs.

Picked up a few things at a Walmart yesterday. Busy place in NE Philly. Their self-checkout used to be a one way in - one way out arrangement with maybe 10 older and small machines. That's been replaced. Now there are around 20 state of the art machines with easy access. They had 3 checkout clerks working.

Paying 10c for plastic grocery bags at the grocers will probably offset any discount.

Going from paper to plastic sure saved forests!

Of course we're saving the planet from certain death.

Never mind that plastic is used for every packaging imaginable from meats to cookies!

But hey, at least we're feeling good about it.
The logic is mind boggling. We were at the woke childrens museum. I bought drinks for all of us. The drinks were served in heavy duty plastic cups with dome plastic lids. However they banned straws. WTF :rolleyes:

We have to relearn how to do everything.

Because the autistic dweebs in Tech, and the Lizard Men in business, have made simple things SO frightfully difficult.

Like, simply getting a phone. Remember when after a move, you went down to the Mountain Bell office, met with the front-counter person, asked for service, answered a few questions, put down a deposit, and left with a time and date to meet the installer? NOW you have to navigate contracts, prices, TYPE of phone, BRAND of phone, hope the phone model is not unusable (pejorative) - and many of them are.

Watching tevee. Remember buying a set, getting it home, plugging it in and turning it on? Nope. Gotta have proprietary remotes, converters, services, contracts, Internet, Roke-eewww, that all add up to over $100 a month, OVER your Internet connection. So you can get 1000 channels of Woke.

Microwaves that can't be made to work properly - no pressing a time on a pad; no, you have to go through a long sequence of obscure buttons. Wristwatches with 150-page instruction manuals.

Now, I have to worry about the Jabbed quacks, COLLECTING MY JAB-REFUSNIK STATUS. Which is leaving me, effectively without medical care. All the rational physicians have been fired or marginalized - just the Woke zombies, Jabbed, brain-fogged, worshipping Fow Chee and Pfize-Er.

Just make yourself a vax card. Ridiculously easy. Took me 15 minutes. Although I did have to buy an entire ream of 110# card stock.

Showed it to them last time I went for a physical and they entered me into their database which is shared between all medical providers in the state of Virginia. Easy peasy. Now I'm officially a "vaxxed" person without having to worry about the blood clots or the myocarditis.

If anyone dares to question your "vaxxed" status, simply call them a vax bigot. If that doesn't work, screw up your face like Justin Bieber or this Canadian actress so they will know that you've had your compliance injections. :ROFLMAO:

bieber1.jpg

bieber2.jpg

Just make yourself a vax card. Ridiculously easy. Took me 15 minutes. Although I did have to buy an entire ream of 110# card stock.

Showed it to them last time I went for a physical and they entered me into their database which is shared between all medical providers in the state of Virginia. Easy peasy. Now I'm officially a "vaxxed" person without having to worry about the blood clots or the myocarditis.

If anyone dares to question your "vaxxed" status, simply call them a vax bigot. If that doesn't work, screw up your face like Justin Bieber or this Canadian actress so they will know that you've had your compliance injections. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 8007

View attachment 8008
So, you're gonna lie to your HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL?

You gonna USE a "health care" "professional" who is totally brain-pfukked - the Jab is the answer, what is the question? Jab, Jab, every month, note it on the card, count the cash the government prints for you?

A "physician" who's Jabbed himself - who's not only a Woketard, incapable of critical thinking, but is probably suffering Brain Fog?

You can if you want.

and they're sketchy at best... not the brightest in the bunch

Mine was a friendly and courteous female working what is basically a dead-end job. Don't know how "bright" she is but she's trying to make a buck. Can't fault that.

If they have a good work ethic, there are plenty of better jobs available.

and they're sketchy at best... not the brightest in the bunch
That's a common theme, these days.

I was at the local Auto Zone, in a non-peak time...the manager was there, alone. Aside from dumb questions over the phone (I knew they were dumb because the answers he gave, and had to repeat, over and over) he had little to do. He helped me find my thing, and then I commented on how he was the Maytag Repairman of parts.

We went on to discussing his help situation. He had mostly new hires - of course; nobody makes that kind of job a career. But he was amazed that they were so STUPID.

He's not Jabbed, but he wasn't plugged into the events around the Clot Shot. He just never got it because he didn't see he needed it. Like a shingles shot, or flu shot.

So, when I pointed out that most young people in the area have had the Jab...and that it causes neurological impairment...Brain Fog, like suffering a bad hangover...he was amazed. "That's exactly what they're like," he said. Obviously they were not retarded and had good previous-employment backgrounds, but they couldn't focus, couldn't remember. Sequential tasks had to be written down for them; and they couldn't easily learn new tasks.

I have to remember that, as I deal with WinCo and Walmart cashiers who're struggling to make change or enter produce into the checkout computer terminal.

I refuse to subsidize these larger corporations/chains. Why should I help pay their employees? I also refuse to round up for charitable requests. Why should the corporations/chains get the advantage of a tax write off using my money? Why should I pay anywhere from a few percentage points to well into double digit percentages when these $13/hour clerks ask me to round up? I donate plenty to charities on my own.

No more self-checkout? Delaware ShopRite stores bring back full-service checkout​

Do you prefer checking out your own items or having a cashier ring them up for you? ShopRite stores in Delaware bring back full-service checkout with cashiers after customers complained.

Over the years you may have noticed the empty cashier lanes are being replaced by self-serve kiosks. Stores such as Target, Walmart, and even Wawa have more self-checkouts than cashiers.

On social media, many shoppers have complained about self-checkout and employees complain that they are not being paid to bag groceries.

More:

I prefer the self-server...quicker,
Me too. It also allows me to check the prices in the computer vs the shelf price. Over the past couple years I've caught 'em trying to charge higher than shelf price on several items.
I always call someone over and tell them to fix it to reflect the shelf price. If it's off by a bunch, I'll usually go back and get more of whatever it is while I can still get it at the lower price.

I have to wonder how it was we had affordable groceries AND professionally-trained-and-paid cashiers in the 1960s.
Because the currency wasn't as debased as it is today.

Just make yourself a vax card. Ridiculously easy.
Yup. Especially when anyone can simply d/l an official file of the card directly from the cdc that is ready for printing.

Because the currency wasn't as debased as it is today.
Hmmm....you can blame a lot of the insanity on money-printing and currency debasement, but not, IMHO, that.

How little the currency is worth, is irrelevant. The test is, what will a week, a month, a year of work, buy in the market.

In Japan, a can of Coke cost 125 yen. Now, how many million yen does a guy working on the Toyota line make? That's the issue.

What we have, is the looting of Americans' savings and buying power. The currency is being debased, but not for its own sake. So as to give the seigniorage to favored players - it goes through the Fed, through the Banksters' house stock accounts (formerly illegal under Glass-Steagall) and thus inflates the net worth of oligarchs' and banksters' portfolios. From there they buy up, with money they got for nuffin.

They got the money free, but the value was sucked out of my dollars and yours. THAT is why we can't afford to have table waiters or grocery checkers, or steak or vacations or new cars.

So, we insist on a higher minimum wage then discount away minimum wage jobs? I wonder if they understand what they are doing? Either way, it is scary.

That was accomplished a long time ago.

It's now Trickledown. Debased Ejewkayshun -> stump-stupid koledge grajewates. -> ignorant new people in the professions, crafts, and as young new heads of households. -> Delusions about what happens with money-printing (MMT is a popular idea in their world) and about what inflation is and what causes it ("Greedy Grocers," Justin Castro-Turdew tells his Canadian cultists).

Leads to economic collapse.

We're well under way.

Good for them. I'll stay away.

I like self-service lanes. Not THAT it's the best option; but it IS the best option. What we have are, a phalanx of new/untrainable grocery-checkers; we have STOO-PIDD customers who can't find their money, can't understand why their Amazon Store Discount card doesn't work in the card reader like VISA or SNAP. The ones who want to yakk and prate.

The self-service line just scans, and then when I hit PAY on the screen, asks me 20 annoying questions. Which is still less annoying than a cashier trying to find the PAPER currency change for a twenty. Long ago almost-all stores got computer releases for the silver change, but that just made cashiers dumber.

Were it not for the push for Surveillance State Cashless Society, I'd rather deal with machines and even no cash. I understand where it's leading, but I understand also, most cashiers today don't have the sense not to blow their noses into their palms.

customers who can't find their money, can't understand why their Amazon Store Discount card doesn't work in the card reader like VISA or SNAP. The ones who want to yakk and prate.

Yeah...........some people do seem to have a hard time. The talkers...........maybe they're lonely :dontknow: I try not to judge. Then again............I enjoy interacting with the cashiers. Some are friendly, others will talk about the customer that was in front of you (lol) and others will comment on what you bought. Makes for a fun checkout experience.

The self-service line just scans, and then when I hit PAY on the screen, asks me 20 annoying questions

Honestly never had this happen. The ones I've used just take your card and give you a receipt.

I prefer peeps to machines.

Do they expect me to help unload the 18 wheelers at the loading docks as well?

Only way I am doing self-checkout is if I get paid for it. And I've been known to walk out of a grocery store leaving a loaded cart behind because they had long lines and only two checkers. Went up the street and got my groceries elsewhere.

I switched to self-checkout because frankly I can't stand most people and the levels of stupidity of some of these cashiers is overwhelming. For example, you pay cash and then they went too quickly and closed the drawer. They can't figure out how much change they owe you and have to ask the manager to not only help re-open the drawer but also to help calculate what they owe you. But on the flip side, I have lately been dealing with NPCs who start shoving their crap down the belt/rollers because they aren't smart enough to realize there's a little flapper arm/switch that they can use to have their own bagging side. I have been shoving their shit right back at them.

Were it not for the push for Surveillance State Cashless Society, I'd rather deal with machines and even no cash.
Most self checkout machines I see will take cash too.

Added benefit of the self checkout is the ability to more easily verify that the computer price is the same as the shelf price.
Over the past couple years of rapidly rising prices, I've had numerous cases where the shelf price hadn't been updated.

Only way I am doing self-checkout is if I get paid for it.

What I see some people do at the self checkout is to ask the attendant for help, then they just have them scan their stuff for 'em.

See it at Kroger's fairly often. Especially in the night time hours before closing.

Walmart makes major change to self-checkout kiosks in 4,500 US stores​

Walmart will be offering buy now, pay later options at its self-checkouts across 4,500 stores, as customers around the country complain about the store's self-service kiosks.

The major change will mean customers can walk away with their items, without paying in full, instead settling the costs later.

Walmart is following Amazon and Target with the new announcement, making a deal with finance company Affirm.

More:

Back
Top Bottom