Swiss stock exchange introduces gold as a trading currency

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Some news from September 2011 that I didn't post here before:
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/swiss_franc/Swiss_stock_exchange_bets_on_gold.html?cid=31202904

Good thing that news didn't get reported here in the USA. It would likely have blown the Bernank's mind.

Tradition!

Bravo, Switzerland!

I hope that kind of thinking spreads. Word does seem to be getting out, slowly, but it DOES seem to be getting out:

Gold, bitchez!

Very, very clever... I wonder if it wasn't in the cards, when they have pegged CHF to Euro (AFAIK, CHF was pegged to gold beforehand)

Direct democracy at works... The more I learn about Switzerland, the more I like it...

Do you know that general public in Switzerland gathers regularly to vote on certain changes in law, that is their process of law-making? And afterwards, it is parliament's work to incorporate the direct wishes of the people into the laws of the country. That is amazing.

regards,

Look what we're currently trying to get a referendum on :wave: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f2/switz...les-snb-storage-only-ch-min-20%-reserves-434/

I think the direct democracy idea works for the swiss because they have a very well educated public. In the USA, we'd probably be much worse off right now because such a vast majority of the public are emotional and irrational with their voting. I'm not saying Switzerland doesn't have their share of morons, but we've definitely got more per capita in the USA.

Voting participation in referendums averages 40%, the media is prohibited from running political ads before the vote. The ballots have to contain pro and con arguments, and the government can be sued for misleading the public about the consequences of a particular referendum. A referendum also has to be constitutional, so there are some restraints on such votes. We have a 700 year tradition of direct democracy, and maybe the citizens are a little bit better educated as you said.

Having said all this: We still had bad votes, e.g.
- to use money raised from gold sales to fund the Swiss SS.
- to ban minarettes from Switzerland (unconstitutional imho).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…