The Art of making Colloidal Silver / Silver Ions / Electrically Isolated Silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

abeland1

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Three factors will determine the quality of the colloidal silver that you make. The first is the water that you use. It must be distilled to a high degree of purity. You will need to check that the water you are using is pure enough. The distilled water sold in grocery stores in 1-gallon containers will generally be good enough. You will still need some way to check it. That can be done with a conductivity meter or by some method included in the design and function of whatever generator we use.

The second factor is the purity of the silver that we use. We want silver ions and preferably no other metals. We want to make a solution containing silver ions, as they are proven to benefit significantly. Many different metals can do us great harm. We must take every precaution to avoid taking toxic metals into our bodies. That is why we use only 9999 silver wire and insist on a certificate of analysis showing the present impurities. In the case of the highest quality silver, the most significant contamination will be copper, which is not bad in small amounts. That will be the case with silver that comes directly from silver ore. If you buy silver without an assay certificate, it could contain scraps from manufacturing facilities that alloy silver with any other metals. So it's not just a matter of it being 9999, but what is the nature of the additional .01%. When we make colloidal silver, the result is a liquid solution with silver in parts per million (PPM). It makes no sense to try to economize on this. If we consider making colloidal silver at a strength of 10 PPM, for example, 1 ounce of silver wire could theoretically make 100,000 ounces or 1500 gallons of colloidal silver.

The third factor is the amount of time that we allow the process. Hydrogen will appear at the cathode (the negatively charged electrode, where electrons enter the water), and oxygen will appear at the anode (the positively charged electrode). In the days of the 3 9 V battery and silver coins method, we would wait until we saw a cloud. We were told that pieces of silver had formed in the water and stopped the process soon after. In reality, the cloud was created by hydrogen and oxygen microbubbles which meant that the process was in a runaway mode. If you were lucky, disconnecting the batteries at that point would perhaps get you a five PPM colloidal silver solution. It would not keep its strength very long as the larger particles quickly collide with and absorb the silver ions. A few of us promoted using current limitations to prevent the runaway condition. Some of us noted that the higher resistance we used, the better results we obtained in higher PPM and stability. Many of us tried every conceivable method of stirring to allow the use of a higher current to speed up the process. All of my efforts in this direction failed. I could not get around the fact that for a given surface area of silver anode only a certain amount of current was allowed. There is a region surrounding the anode called the Nernst diffusion area. That region will only allow a specific density of ions to exist before they agglomerate into larger particles. So for those with your setups for making colloidal silver, try reducing the current and allowing more time, and let us know the results.

Another item that you will find useful is a quality laser pointer. Nothing from China. High-quality laser pointers have a current regulating circuit which ensures that the output of the laser remains the same no matter what the condition of the batteries. The rated power is maintained until there is no laser action whatsoever, at which time the batteries have to be replaced. The cheap ones from China will vary in power, therefore making a very poor test instrument. The laser pointer will enable you to see the generation of the small particles, as they are being made. This will occur after you have achieved the highest possible ionic portion, the ions are combining to form larger particles. In the days before we had laser pointers to use, we did not know whether or not we had made colloidal silver until a yellow hue appeared. The yellow hue was caused by the presence of particles larger than of 40 nm in size. It creates a yellow because the particles block the blue part of the spectrum. If you subtract blue from the rest of the spectrum, you have a red green that you see as yellow. The smaller particles are more desirable as they have more surface area.

[imgur]
[imgur]
[imgur]
I have started this thread to rationalize the wildly varying information about making colloidal silver. The earliest experimenters used silver coins and 3 9 V batteries. This method, though wonderfully simple, has some problems that we will detail here. The worst thing was that many people added salt to the distilled water to speed up the process. That was the method favored by the "blue man."
I was fortunate as a little kid to have an uncle willing to spend time answering my endless questions. Uncle Bill was a science writer working for the National Institute of Health, and his job was to take the work of scientists and explain it so that it was intelligible to the nonscientist. A little over 15 years ago, when I retired as an electronics design engineer, I visited Uncle Bill in Florida. He was in his 80s but still in good shape and sharp as a tack. I had come across colloidal silver to fix my sinus problems and had become a believer. Not trusting anyone to make it for me, I had, as a hobby, spent a lot of time researching and experimenting with ways to make a potent and stable product. I had designed and arranged to have made a line of laser pointers of high quality. I used to do a lot of lecturing and was annoyed that I could not find a reliable, high-quality laser pointer. I had already begun selling these on eBay with some success. I had almost accidentally discovered that my laser pointers could be a valuable aid in the manufacturing process of colloidal silver.
When I met with uncle Bill, he asked me what I was up to and my plans for my so-called "retirement." I told him about the laser pointers, gave him a couple of them, and then told him about my colloidal silver experience. I intended to set up a small factory and start manufacturing, bottling, and selling it. He replied, "Arnold, I never thought of you as a "snake oil salesman."
I was quite taken aback. This comment was from a man who, throughout my life, had done nothing but encourage me in everything I had attempted. He would never say anything to me in a mean way. He said what he said with the best of intentions. It was time to think things through. I had spent my entire working life, from my teens to the time of my retirement, in electronics. As a technician, field engineer, and design engineer, and finally did original design work in complex systems. Upon reflection, I never had to sell anything. The Air Force told me what they wanted me to do. When I was with NASA, it was obvious what we needed to do, and we just did it. As a consultant to large corporations, it was just a matter of the phone ringing and someone asking for help and organizing my schedule. No one questioned my work or my expertise.
So now I'm going to go out and sell something? Colloidal silver? It helped me a great deal with my sinuses. It quickly healed any infection or burn. Made properly, it could do no harm. Yes, I knew this and that it was true for me. Was I prepared to tell others it will cure something they believe ails them? No, of course not. What are the other people selling colloidal silver telling people? That's the problem. I would inevitably be tarred with the same brush. Am I willing to take this? Is my skin thick enough? Do I feel an irresistible urge to save the world by sprinkling colloidal silver over it? Do I need the money? The answer was no. I decided to go ahead and have the 9999+ wire made. Since I had to buy 2000 ounces to do the deal, I started offering it to people like myself who worried about purity. My offerings of very simple generator kits came about due to so many customers of the silver wire asking for advice on how to use it.
I believe we have covered everything that the do-it-yourselfer will find helpful in setting up to make their colloidal silver. Some areas of refinement will result in a more effective and stable product. Still, these methods are not practical for someone who wishes to use a voltage source, a current limiting device (resistor), and pure silver in pure water. An example of this would be the act of reversing the polarity of the electrodes periodically. That not only evens the wear but also eliminates the hard-to-remove silver oxide build-up on the cathode. It preserves a smooth finish on the electrodes and reduces wastage. The electrodes also become very easy to clean, requiring only a quick wipe with a paper towel instead of a plastic scrub pad. I incorporated a double pole double throw switch in my larger generators to accomplish this, but it's too much to ask people to use. As a result, most users flip the switch from one batch to another, even the wear factor.
Any further efforts to improve the process would involve developing an "expert system" incorporated into an automatic colloidal silver generator. The so-called "automatic" generators on the market are cut off with a timer or a particular voltage level at the electrodes. There are now many people offering "automatic" Colloidal Silver Generators. I find amusing their habit of creating their own "forums" in which their products are favorably reviewed and others' products canned. Why don't they come here and tell us how their electrons have more energy, their ions can jump higher, and their particles are smaller than anyone else's?

Last edited:
Once the Nernst diffusion area saturates would it not be ideal to have the solution stirred lightly? About how long on the low setting does it take IYO to saturate the area? Also, I still think that particle Size is going to be More important in killing bugs than the number of particles (PPM). Not sure I have the time to test these things but some literature is starting to come out on silver.

[imgur]
[imgur]
[imgur]
I have started this thread to rationalize the wildly varying information about making colloidal silver. ....Why don't they come here and tell us how their electrons have more energy, their ions can jump higher, and their particles are smaller than anyone else's?

Some have tried to give different information Abe. However my electrons don't have more energy and my ions don't jump higher and my particles are just finely sized thank you. But poking fun at someone does diminish their information I see. :)

"Once the Nernst diffusion area saturates would it not be ideal to have the solution stirred lightly?"
I did a lot of stirring. I even placed electromagnets (electromagnets) around the beaker. All that I accomplished was to make a round mirror.
"About how long on the low setting does it take IYO to saturate the area?"
Low setting? Of what?
Some searching on:
Will help.

Some have tried to give different information Abe. However my electrons don't have more energy and my ions don't jump higher and my particles are just finely sized thank you. But poking fun at someone does diminish their information I see. :)
Hi Chris,
Glad to see you join the group. Your contribution in the old group was very valuable. Pointing out the variability of my Manual methods impelled the development of the ultra generators.
As a younger person, I placed a high value on having easy access to an extensive library. When I became interested in something, I wanted to dive deeply into the subject to the limits of my ability. Now we have the Internet, which can be compared to a vast library. We must continuously be aware of one significant difference. The library of the old consisted of books that had been published and printed. To be posted and printed, they would have been vetted by at least the publishers.
That is not the case of what you find on the Internet. There is a great deal of information that consists of thinly concealed infomercials, gibberish, and downright dangerous instructions on how to make colloidal silver.
Arnold

Learn how to make colloidal silver
Stay away from all the snake oil salesmen. Very few of them have any idea what they’re making and selling. There is no need to buy any particular thing from any specific supplier.
Chemically produced Silver nanoparticles have been around for a long time. Dilute forms of silver nitrate were used before antibiotics dominated the field of medicine. It has become necessary to explore the antimicrobial properties of silver-based chemicals again because microbes have gained resistance against the wide range of present-day antibiotics. The advancements in medicine and technology started to merge to combat microbes' adaptability as they successfully become tolerant to antibiotics. It manifested in the form of current technology, Nanomedicine.
In recent years, silver nanoparticles (Ag NPs) have been the subject of many studies due to their potential as antimicrobials. Their special and unique properties can be attributed to their smaller size and larger specific surface area. Many preparation processes have been proposed for controlling the physical or chemical characteristics of Ag NPs. The pharmaceutical industry is well aware of the problem of antibiotic resistance. They want to use silver. Silver is the obvious choice as an antibiotic, antifungal, and antiviral substance.
Pharmaceutical companies are developing patentable processes to produce Ag NPs with diameters of less than 10nm using a process that employs D-glucose as the reducing agent and soluble starch as the stabilizing agent. The particle sizes of Ag NPs are controlled by modifying reaction system parameters such as pH, temperature, and reactant concentrations. The choice of stabilizing agent is an essential factor for controlling the particle size of Ag NPs since it is reduced within the nanoscopic templates of the stabilizing agent.
The fact that the silver ions are the effective agents is well documented. They cannot sell silver ions as there is no profit in it. The freely available knowledge in "The art of making colloidal silver" and other publications have made it possible for anyone with access to water, silver, and electricity to make EIS, electrically isolated silver.

Similarities and Differences between Silver Ions and Silver in Nanoforms as Antibacterial Agents​

Silver is considered as antibacterial agent with well-known mode of action and bacterial resistance against it is well described. The development of nanotechnology provided different methods for the modification of the chemical and physical structure of silver, which may increase its antibacterial potential. The physico-chemical properties of silver nanoparticles and their interaction with living cells differs substantially from those of silver ions. Moreover, the variety of the forms and characteristics of various silver nanoparticles are also responsible for differences in their antibacterial mode of action and probably bacterial mechanism of resistance. The paper discusses in details the aforementioned aspects of silver activity.

Are any of these generators worth purchasing?

This is the one I use. Easy to use, works great. I can easily pump out a gallon a day with it, and have.

Max on it however is about 20 ppm. The standard 10ppm works great for me.

Last edited:
hen I started experimenting with making colloidal silver, ionic colloidal silver, a test instrument that measured microsiemens accurately cost thousands of dollars. In the last few years, conductivity meters have become available to do this for under $20. They give us the ability to test colloidal silver. The other way they contested is to make sure that it is clear. Ionic colloidal silver should always be clear.

Here is an EC meter that will read in microsiemens. This will give you a reading of ionic silver PPM directly on a one-for-one basis.

Attachments

• 2022-12-07_16-24-30.png
    2022-12-07_16-24-30.png
    771.1 KB · Views: 4
1.5 hours with 10ga. silver wire. Does it look safe to drink?

20221213_170011.jpg20221213_170023.jpg20221213_184333.jpg20221213_184316.jpg

I came down with a runny nose sinus infection. I laid upside down and poured about a teaspoon of CR in each nostril yestetday afternoon. This morning my symptons are 90% gone.

Can one use saline as a water medium to make CS?

Can one use saline as a water medium to make CS?
Not to my knowledge. One uses distilled water. My machine won't work without distilled water. I accidently used spring water once and the machine shut off.

Nine years ago today, I started a thread on a forum called goldismoney2. It was a forum created by people who believe in investing in Precious Metals. It was unique, not allowing any commercial content whatsoever. Any advertising or product promotion was strictly forbidden. It was well-moderated and allowed complete freedom of expression for the members. If the members did not engage in obnoxious behavior, they could express themselves freely. I chose this forum as it was the only one I could find with a section concerning Alternative Health topics, including colloidal silver. It was the only place to get honest information about colloidal silver. Someone in a colloidal silver business, every other source I can find, or they advertise on the site. Let's face it. If you accept money from somebody, you will not criticize them for what they say. Once you take money from someone, you are their prisoner. Let's not kid ourselves. Money Talks, BS walks. Goldismoney2 is supported entirely and only by occasional contributions by the members.
I gave the three most important factors I had found for making colloidal silver. Many members of goldismoney2 had been making colloidal silver for years. They used various methods, and many had colloidal silver generators from multiple manufacturers.
Sadly, it is no more. The plug has been pulled. The good news is that I have been able to capture images of all 1000 posts on the thread. They are available for viewing at:

If you choose to roam around the rest of the site, please excuse the fact that you will find many links to the now extinct gold is money site. I have a lot of work to do to correct this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is that I have been able to capture images of all 1000 posts on the thread. They are available for viewing at:

I can attest that the stuff works pretty well. Maybe not so much for colds/flus (though I think so) but just in general its a great anti-bacterial / anti-fungal spray. I had a bad batch (power went off in the middle and I forgot it) so I just saved that and sprayed my vinyl siding and LP tank. Did a great job of keep the grime from coming back (after I had washed it) and even a decent job where i just sprayed my leftovers on like my tank.

We also have some outdoor cats and one or two of the males would come back with some decent wounds (no idea who or what they are fighting). But I'd just wash em out a little and spray the silver on them and they heal pretty quickly. A kitten also had some eye gunk and a wash or two and then sprayed with silver and that has cleared up as well.

I drink it and it keeps my pipes healthy.

I need to use an egg timer. I put on a batch and forget about it again . This is after cooking 3 hours today. It looks like a urine sample,but assure you it's distilled water and silver wires. The flavor still has a wang to it.

I use very thick silver wires and clean them every time. I also rotate the polarity.20230725_201507.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom