The Bogus Historians Who Teach Evangelicals They Live in a Theocracy

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
This isn't about religion as most people think of religion. It's about money grubbing lunatics who want to control every facet of your life. Take it fwiw and dyodd.

The Bogus Historians Who Teach Evangelicals They Live in a Theocracy​

I had never seen a sanctuary so full on a Tuesday night.

The people packed into FloodGate Church in Brighton, Mich., weren’t here for Bill Bolin, the right-wing zealot pastor who’d grown his congregation tenfold by preaching conspiracy-fueled sermons since the onset of Covid-19, turning Sunday morning worship services into amateur Fox News segments. No, they had come out by the hundreds, decked out in patriotic attire this October evening in 2021, to hear from a man who was introduced to them as “America’s greatest living historian.” They had come for David Barton. And so had I.

It would be of little use to tell the folks around me — the people of my conservative hometown — that Barton wasn’t a real historian. They wouldn’t care that his lone academic credential was a bachelor’s degree in religious education from Oral Roberts University. It wouldn’t matter that Barton’s 2012 book on Thomas Jefferson was recalled by Thomas Nelson, the world’s largest Christian publisher, for its countless inaccuracies, or that a panel of 10 conservative Christian academics who reviewed Barton’s body of work in the aftermath ripped the entirety of his scholarship to shreds. It would not bother the congregants of FloodGate Church to learn that they were listening to a man whose work was found by one of America’s foremost conservative theologians to include “embarrassing factual errors, suspiciously selective quotes, and highly misleading claims.”

James Carville: 'Christian nationalists' like Speaker Mike Johnson are a 'bigger threat than al-Qaeda'​

Democratic strategist James Carville sounded the alarm on new Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson, saying he and other "Christian nationalists" are a bigger threat to the country than al-Qaeda.

Appearing as a panelist on Bill Maher's "Overtime" segment, Carville was asked about Johnson, who is from his home state of Louisiana.

"Mike Johnson and what he believes is one of the greatest threats we have today to the United States," Carville told Maher on Friday. "I promise you, I know these people."

Back
Top Bottom