The Wood Database

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goldhedge

GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Just got turned on to this site. If you're into wood, this is it. There's even a book!

The Wood Database​

HOW IT ALL GOT STARTED . . .​

2020-01-profile-600x600.jpg

Database creator:
Eric Meier

It all began back in April of 2007. I had recently checked out some wood identification books at the library, and I wanted a way to organize all of the most helpful data into a single reference file on my computer. After cataloging the wood’s common and scientific names, weight, approximate cost, and any other notes or observations that I thought were unusual to that species, I printed the file out and used it as a reference guide in my shop. (At that time, I was involved in making psalteries—a type of stringed musical instrument.) Over time, I found myself referencing this chart so many times, and I had made so many additions and alterations to it—adding my own observations, density readings, etc.—that it became nearly indispensable. Many times when a project would come up, I would consult the chart as a guide to help me use the most appropriate wood possible.

HOW MY WOOD LIST GREW INTO AN ONLINE PROJECT​

As a long time woodworker, I have used this site for a lot of wood species identification. As well as detailed photographs of the different species, he also provides a lot of data sheets on them. If you can't find it on this site, it probably doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom