USA's 4th largest city (Houston Tx) Admits it is Bankrupt

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

foolsgold

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
The Mayor of Houston says the city is 'broke' after overspending for decades.

Democrat John Whitmire, who was elected in December, gave the bleak warning at a City Hill meeting this week where he proposed a five percent cut across all city spending to alleviate the cash-flow problem.

'I think we can all agree that we're broke,' Whitmire said, before proposing the planned cuts.

The last two mayors Houston had were terrible. Mayor Turner was a fiscal disaster but his friends did very well. Issues with Firefighter pension fund and such have been festering for years.

The last two mayors Houston had were terrible. Mayor Turner was a fiscal disaster but his friends did very well. Issues with Firefighter pension fund and such have been festering for years.
Isn't this guy related to Kathryn Whitmire, the much-hyped "fiscal conservative" mayor of the 1980s? She was an accountant by trade, IIRC.

This guy her son? How's Mom feeling about how he's doing?

John Whitmire has only been on the job (as Mayor) for a couple of months. He was just elected. Considering that his main opponent in the election was Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, he's the most conservative choice that Houston realistically had (city politics skews D).

Sounds just like Rust Belt politics of 40 years ago.

The stuff we were glad to put behind us. Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately - for me, the job down in Houston didn't last.

But it wouldn't have been fun to watch liberalism kill another area; and I've seen it plenty of times. Watching Colorado self-destruct was heartbreaking. I'm not liking what I see in Dallas or Austin, even at a distance.

Isn't this guy related to Kathryn Whitmire, the much-hyped "fiscal conservative" mayor of the 1980s? She was an accountant by trade, IIRC.

This guy her son? How's Mom feeling about how he's doing?
Sister-in-law.

Well, at least John has maturity going for him.

Back
Top Bottom