War in Yemen

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
It looks like we're on target to bomb the hell out of Yemen. Our good buddies from Saudi Arabia began an aggressive bombing campaign last night and we're already hearing the freedom rhetoric from the least democratic administration in the history of this nation.

I suppose that ought to fix the whole oil price problem.

Oh great! Yemen is a wellspring of love and goodwill. /sarc

Old Yemeni saying: "Touch Yemen, get burned."

I believe it.

IIRC, Egypt got involved with Yemen in the 1960s or so (this would be easy to look up...). Now the Saudis and Emirates seem to want to jump in.

Time for the USA to go home and stay home from ANY place where we are not wanted by all locals (that would include Okinawa, Japan now, the locals do not want us there).

This is what "success" looks like according to barry. I'm afraid to find out what failure is.

images

At any moment, Saudi troops could march through Yemen, heating up an already intense conflict that could have ramifications across the Middle East.

On Monday, a Saudi-led coalition of nine countries continued airstrikes against Shiite Houthi rebels, who have captured key parts of Yemen and ousted that country's President, and who could spread Iran's influence in the region.
But if the coalition takes the fight to the ground in Yemen, the consequences could be severe. Houthis are battle-hardened guerrilla fighters and could cross into Saudi Arabia. They've already threatened suicide bomb attacks inside Saudi Arabia.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/30/middleeast/yemen-saudi-arabia-intervention/

This likely isn't going to end any time soon.

I am of the opinion that bombing the shit out of Yemen is an act of desperation that only legitimizes their rebellion. Keep in mind that this was a very popular rebellion in the 1st place. Now you have the foreign invader angle to unite those that were on the fence. If you put yourself in the shoes of the average Moe:rotflmbo:.. It's easy to see why they would get off the fence and support the rebels once a foreign government started bombing them.

I think there is an aspect to this that you aren't considering. This has to do with a pretty clearly defined [religious] segregation in the population. I'm pretty sure the Yemenis are clear on the politics of who is supporting the Shiites (Iran) versus Sunnis (Yemen govco, Saudis, etc.).

This isn't like Republicans vs. Democrats with a population that can vacillate from one political party to another on a whim. People in a [religious] camp rarely leave it.

Much like the struggles elsewhere in the middle east, this conflict isn't new. It's just now highly escalated in a region that's been just been percolating previously.

I think there is an aspect to this that you aren't considering. This has to do with a pretty clearly defined [religious] segregation in the population. I'm pretty sure the Yemenis are clear on the politics of who is supporting the Shiites (Iran) versus Sunnis (Yemen govco, Saudis, etc.).

This is a political conflict, not a sectarian. That is basically just propaganda to portray the rebellion as irrational and justify Saudi Arabia's actions.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/03/qayemen-sectarian-war-150326110539304.html

Keep in mind.. this didn't happen over night.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/23/middleeast/yemen-how-we-got-here/

Drones have been killing people in Yemen for years now. These aren't cavemen. They want their children to grow up and have grandchildren etc. Having their children missing limbs or be incinerated by a missile for years and their government allowing it to continue is what caused them to revolt. That is why you have the Houthis fighting along side with their military allies. It's not over religion. They want to be able to live without being bombed. That is why this is a popular insurgency.

From your Al Jazeera link:
The conflict essentially remains a political one for power and influence in the region between Iran and Saudi Arabia (and its Arab and western allies).

This is what I understood. But the root issue on the conflict (ie. what drives the race for power and influence) between Saudi Arabia and Iran is largely sectarian. Their interest isn't about colonialist style expansion.

I have not done a lot of investigating on this issue, so if there is a significant percentage of Yemen's Sunni population joining in the revolt, that would definitely cast a different perspective in the situation. I just haven't seen any reports indicating that this is the case.

All the action in the middle east is beginning to lend some credibility to the argument that we are headed in to WWIII. The Jade Helm domestic army training being done in our cities in the south are further signals that we're not done over there.

Back
Top Bottom