Wrongful Arrests & Convictions

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Ohio man wins $45M after 20-year wrongful imprisonment​

Jared Gans
Tue, November 22, 2022 at 1:59 PM·2 min read

An Ohio man was awarded $45 million after he won a civil lawsuit against a local police department for being wrongfully imprisoned for more than 20 years.

The Columbus Dispatch reported that Dean Gillispie sued the police department for Miami Township, located in southwestern Ohio, and a former detective over suppression of evidence and tainting of eyewitness identifications, which he argued led to his conviction for rape and kidnapping in 1991.

Read the rest here:

Man Gets $45M for 20 Years in Prison While Innocent​

Steve Lehto
Nov 23, 2022

It happened in Ohio and it might be a record.
13 mins 7 secs

I'm a little cautious about jumping up and down on this.

He has his story, and the jury bought it. A jury is holding Alex Jones liable for BILLIONS for ONE misstatement, not even malicious.

Jurors aren't solons. (Not even when they're from Solon, which BTW is in Ohio).

It could be a defense assertion; it could be a mischaracterizing of police action, or it could even be that the defendant was guilty, even in spite of police misconduct. Anyone remember Billy Ayers? "Guilty as hell; free as a bird. Is this a great country, or what?"

Anyone remember Billy Ayers?

The 60's were a neat time to grow up in. All sorts of stuff going on. Race riots, Vietnam, protests against the war, bra burning, draft card burning, turn on - tune in -drop out, cool cars, hijacking planes to Cuba, defections, cold war, uhf tv channels, great music, some of the best shortwave radio listening ever and more.

The 60's were a neat time to grow up in. All sorts of stuff going on. Race riots, Vietnam, protests against the war, bra burning, draft card burning, turn on - tune in -drop out, cool cars, hijacking planes to Cuba, defections, cold war, uhf tv channels, great music, some of the best shortwave radio listening ever and more.
A lot of really destructive crap, too.

The SDS and Weathermen, were nearly as crazy as Antifa and BLM are, now. Ayers was thick in that...and if the aim was to embarrass the Establishment, it worked - if not fairly.

Kent State came back to haunt Gov. James Rhodes for the rest of his life. Not for wrongdoing, but for his poor instinct there. One of the best governors Ohio had, he did exactly the wrong thing at that time; he planned to keep Kent open at gunpoint, rather than close as the SDS wanted. To do that, and to make a visual impact, he used the Ohio National Guard. Which happened to be untrained in riot control (Ohio Highway Patrol was in fact trained and equipped) and the ONG had been deployed a month in a violent Teamsters truckers' strike.

They were fatigued, untrained, trigger-happy...an accident waiting to happen, which did happen. The accident was (by my research) five Guardsmen who'd had enough and were working on private signals, ignoring commanders' orders. Two of them were misreading their leader's signals and dropped to a firing position, TWICE, in the three minutes prior to the actual volley into the protest crowd.

So the Leftist-sympathetic press had a field day lambasting Rhodes for the next five years - for (they insinuated) ordering the shooting. And all of it could have been avoided by shutting down the school and administratively expelling the entire student body, and involved professors.

But that was the chaos. To say NOTHING of Johnson's Splendid Little War, with My Lai, Laos, Cambodia...and Nixon picking up where Johnson didn't have the time (from his fornicating). Proving for the first time, the literal truth of the Political Elites' Uniparty.

Thanks. I'd rather have the 1980s.

I have a friend here in Ohio going through similar shit right now. I'm dumbfounded as to how his SS number was attached to a warrant for his arrest. Pretrial is Thursday and no one wants to hear they got the wrong guy. Not even his lawyer. To top things off his case is marked secret so not even his lawyer can have access to it to defend him. It's the most bizarre thing I have ever heard of. If this can happen to him it can happen to anyone and that's frightening.

I have a friend here in Ohio going through similar shit right now. I'm dumbfounded as to how his SS number was attached to a warrant for his arrest. Pretrial is Thursday and no one wants to hear they got the wrong guy. Not even his lawyer. To top things off his case is marked secret so not even his lawyer can have access to it to defend him. It's the most bizarre thing I have ever heard of. If this can happen to him it can happen to anyone and that's frightening.
You'll need to update your avatar :)

Man found innocent after nearly 25 years in prison​

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A Tennessee man is free after spending nearly a quarter of a century in prison.

Last week, the state said it would not re-prosecute Wayne Burgess after a judge overturned his conviction. Since 1999, Burgess has been sitting behind bars for a crime he said he didn’t commit.

“I said, ‘What in the world am I doing here?’ You know, because I was raised to do the right thing and I would do the right thing, and so I said, ‘How did I end up in a place like this?’ People just didn’t believe, didn’t believe me at first,” Burgess told News 2.

More:

Court throws out conviction after judge says Black man 'looks like a criminal to me'​

DETROIT (AP) — An appeals court on Thursday overturned the drug conviction of a Black man, saying his rights were violated by a Detroit federal judge who was upset over delays in the case and declared: “This guy looks like a criminal to me.”

“Such remarks are wholly incompatible with the fair administration of justice,” the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Murphy III, who is white, apologized nearly two years later when the case against Leron Liggins finally was ready for trial. He explained that he was mad at the time “and I regret it.”

Nonetheless, the appeals court said Murphy should have removed himself as Liggins' attorney had requested. The court threw out a heroin distribution conviction and 10-year prison sentence and ordered a new trial with a different judge.

More:

Man Compensated After Being Wrongly Imprisoned for 21 Years​

Sep 18, 2023

13:20

The evidence against him appears to have been quite thin.

'The truth has finally set him free.': Man released after serving 28 years for crime he didn't commit​

A man who was sentence to life in prison at the age of 18 for a crime he didn't commit has been freed after serving 28 years.

Gerardo Cabanillas was convicted of robbery, kidnapping and sexual assault in 1995 based on what the California Innocence Project called in a post "bad eyewitness identifications, a false confession and police misconduct."

The California Innocence Project, a nonprofit that focuses on freeing wrongfully convicted people from prison, worked in tandem with the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office to revisit the case and work towards an exoneration for Cabanillas, who had maintained his innocence throughout the criminal proceedings.

More:

Man Gets $400K After Police Arrest Him for DUI While Sober​

Dec 14, 2023

It's actually quite a bizarre story.

11:16

Longest-imprisoned US inmate exonerated 48 years on​

An Oklahoma judge has exonerated a man who was in prison for almost half a century for a 1974 murder, the longest wrongful sentence to be served in the US.

Glynn Simmons, 71, was freed in July when a judge ordered a new trial.

But a county district attorney said on Monday there was not enough evidence to warrant one.

In an order on Tuesday, Oklahoma County District Judge Amy Palumbo declared Mr Simmons innocent.

More:

Finding an error in the trial, is not the same as a wrongful conviction.

It's evidence of procedural error.

A failure or inability to retry, is not to proof that the accused did not commit the crime.

I take what the lying legacy mediuh assert, these days, with a huge brick of salt. We already know what they believe about guilt and innocence - from their eagerness to railroad those with different politics than their own Wokeidiocy. Accusations are proof of guilt. Holding different opinions, are treason and insurrection. Process crimes, secondary to civil investigations, are suddenly felonies.

REAL criminals should be released without bond, not prosecuted, allowed voting rights. POLITICAL enemies should be serially prosecuted, even to double-jeopardy...double, triple, quadruple. Keep on indicting until we get a result they like.

This time, a procedural error suddenly becomes, INNOCENT MAN!!

They Were Wrongfully Convicted. Now They’re Denied Compensation Despite Michigan Law.​

After his murder conviction was overturned in 2020, Marvin Cotton Jr. checked into a Comfort Inn outside Detroit, ready to begin a new life after nearly two decades in prison.

Freedom, however, was frightening. Night after night, he awoke every 15 minutes or so, wrestling with the covers, wondering if he’d hallucinated it all. He kept the television on to remind himself he wasn’t in prison anymore. Its noise broke the first complete silence he’d experienced in half a lifetime, he said, which “scared the hell out of me.”

More:

Hair Sample That Put a Man in Prison Turned Out to Be Dog Hair​

From bite marks to shaken babies, the Center for Integrity in Forensic Sciences is debunking bad science.​

Kate Judson is a lawyer who often deals with crimes that did not occur. As the executive director of the Wisconsin-based Center for Integrity in Forensic Sciences (CIFS), her job is to examine ostensible scientific evidence to see whether it backs up prosecutors' claims.

"Some people who died were classified as victims of homicide when they were really the victim of illness, or accident, or suicide, or medical error—that kind of thing," says Judson. "We had a case of a family that lost their child. The caregiver was accused of attacking her. It was later discovered, based on new medical evidence, that the child had been really ill with a disease she was probably born with."

Evidence can't bring a child back, obviously. But it can get an innocent person out of jail. And it can give a grieving family some peace of mind. To learn that your child "was held and comforted in their last moments, instead of attacked," says Judson, "would be important to know."

More:

Hair Sample That Put a Man in Prison Turned Out to Be Dog Hair​

From bite marks to shaken babies, the Center for Integrity in Forensic Sciences is debunking bad science.​

Kate Judson is a lawyer who often deals with crimes that did not occur. As the executive director of the Wisconsin-based Center for Integrity in Forensic Sciences (CIFS), her job is to examine ostensible scientific evidence to see whether it backs up prosecutors' claims.

"Some people who died were classified as victims of homicide when they were really the victim of illness, or accident, or suicide, or medical error—that kind of thing," says Judson. "We had a case of a family that lost their child. The caregiver was accused of attacking her. It was later discovered, based on new medical evidence, that the child had been really ill with a disease she was probably born with."

Evidence can't bring a child back, obviously. But it can get an innocent person out of jail. And it can give a grieving family some peace of mind. To learn that your child "was held and comforted in their last moments, instead of attacked," says Judson, "would be important to know."

More:

That's what comes from blind faith in "experts" - without any knowledge or ways of checking their pronouncements.

The ultimate example is the Plandemic, where we trusted "public health experts" who advocated toy masks, "social distancing" and a bogus test that turned up whatever the tester wanted.

And then we relied on "pharmacological companies" to deliver a promised Warp-Speed "vaccine" - and they did none of that; their product was poison, not a vaccine; it was pre-developed; and the companies were under the control of Davos Man, who is under control of the mental illness known as Malthusianism.

This is a lesser example; but it's useful if it helps drive home the lesson. Experts are just other people; and people today, are less likely to have any moral footings. Someone either didn't want to be bothered actually testing that hair, or was incompetent; and for that, a man went to prison.

This is WHY we have peer juries; and they should not abdicate their duty to "experts."

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Of the nearly 3,500 people exonerated of serious crimes in the U.S. since 1989, more than half had their cases marred by alleged misconduct by police or prosecutors, according to a national database.

But experts say it’s rare for anyone to be held accountable for the harm — for the coerced confessions, hidden evidence, false testimony and other dubious work that contributes to flawed convictions.

The pending perjury trial of three retired Philadelphia police detectives could prove an exception, if they themselves are not cleared by alleged mistakes by District Attorney Larry Krasner’s office. Former detectives Martin Devlin, Manuel Santiago and Frank Jastrzembski have asked a judge to dismiss the case. The judge plans to rule by April.

Convicted in the court of public opinion?

Russell Brand Responds to Coordinated Smear Campaign Against Him​

Governments colluded to shut down and destroy @RussellBrand. This is his first interview since that happened. It’s one of the most brilliant explanations of the modern world you’ll ever hear.
46m

The DNA Scandal That Could Threaten Thousands of Criminal Cases​

For nearly three decades, Yvonne “Missy” Woods was Colorado’s star forensic scientist, relied on by police and prosecutors to test DNA evidence in the state’s most baffling crimes.

Her work was considered the gold standard by colleagues and helped put away infamous murderers, including the “Colorado Hammer Killer.”

Then, in November, Woods abruptly resigned. The same day, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation said it had discovered anomalies in her work during an internal review and was launching a criminal probe.

The unfolding scandal—potentially one of the largest in the history of forensic DNA testing, according to experts—is throwing Colorado’s criminal justice system into chaos. The state said it would need to review and retest approximately 3,000 DNA samples that Woods handled. Public defenders estimate thousands of cases could be affected.

Prosecutors are bracing for numerous legal challenges from people charged or convicted based on Woods’s findings. State lawmakers recently allocated nearly $7.5 million for possible retrials and case reviews, along with the retesting.

At the center of the storm is a mystery: Was Woods just sloppy, or has she been purposefully cutting corners for decades to put people behind bars?

More:

Back
Top Bottom