The empty ATM - PBS documentary on the economic collapse in Argentina

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Although the link no longer takes you to the video, I have seen it and it is truly unnerving. Can it happen in the US? Absolutely. We have had a bank holiday before and will have one again. We are already limited to a relatively small amount of cash that we can withdraw from the bank. If you go to BAC they will tell you that to get more than six of seven grand, you have to order it in advance, and you will be subject to all kinds of questions and scrutiny. We are already a corporate fascist country and are on the way to becoming a world class police state. The very best single thing for this country would be an outright and complete collapse of the fiat banking system. Billions of people will be wiped completely out. Those people with tens of billions in paper wealth will become paupers overnight. Those who have real assets such as gold and silver coins and bars will become the new wealthy. Gold, silver and food. Those who have started large gardens will become rich by virtue of having one of the three things absolutely essential for human survival.......food. Aside from water and air, food is something we all need, yet take for granted. When the just-in-time delivery mechanism fails as a result of a fiat collapse, the world will learn about hunger the hard way and many millions will starve to death.

There are many naysayers out there who pooh pooh the idea of collapse, saying that we are too advanced as a civilization for that to happen, and to those people I would say look no farther than the wars in the Balkans. Money became worthless and canned goods, fuel and bullets became the defacto currency. Those who had some lived, and those who did not simply died.

SA,
There is a guy who lived through the great reset in Argentina, whose name I cannot immediately remember, but whop wrote a blog about it. What he wrote closely resembles my own take-off about what will happen here, albeit with significantly less violence.

I predict major racial strife, as African Americans and "disaffected" Latinos and Latino youths rampage through our neighborhoods in search of food and fuel. That said, I pray I am prepared enough to withstand the Golden Horde. In fact, i think we should have a thread here solely about The Big One.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video sa posted yet, but thought this thread should also mention this excellent documentary about the collapse as well:

Ferfal's blog: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

Some of the older posts on his blog are really interesting.

SA,
There is a guy who lived through the great reset in Argentina, whose name I cannot immediately remember, but whop wrote a blog about it. What he wrote closely resembles my own take-off about what will happen here, albeit with significantly less violence.

I predict major racial strife, as African Americans and "disaffected" Latinos and Latino youths rampage through our neighborhoods in search of food and fuel. That said, I pray I am prepared enough to withstand the Golden Horde. In fact, i think we should have a thread here solely about The Big One.

You might be talking about ferfal? His blog is at:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/ ,
which is also chocked full of other good info.

And here is one of his earlier descriptions of his experiences during the collapse in Argentina:

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

I spent a half hour today, looking through some of the accounts of what it was like in the balkan "cleansing" a while back, and it woke me the hell up. Those who think shit will carry on as usual, or anything remotely resembling "normalcy" are in for a seriously rude awakening.

Got Guns, bullets, beans and band aids? While I am at it, got tanks of propane and drume of gas/deisel?

No!?!?!?! Get some!

yup that Balkan bloggers experiences are chilling.

'We all did terrible things ... you had to, to survive'

Civilisation is a very thin veneer, eh ?

I think the best skill for me to learn is to master distilling alcohol since I have no survival skills at all.... good idea?

I think the best skill for me to learn is to master distilling alcohol since I have no survival skills at all.... good idea?

Thanks Shelby for a much needed jolly chuckle on that one!

Well as they say, having some skills is better than having none! And at least you will learn one other skill while you are at it: plumbing.

That might be worth a chuckle, but seriously, that would be a very good skill. Even putting the bartering functions aside booze may be an important source of clean drink when water is scarce, something to cook food in, and it can be used for disinfectant. I'd put brewing/distilling in the same catagory of fundamental skills as sewing, welding/blacksmithing, gardening, first aid and the like.

That might be worth a chuckle, but seriously, that would be a very good skill. Even putting the bartering functions aside booze may be an important source of clean drink when water is scarce, something to cook food in, and it can be used for disinfectant. I'd put brewing/distilling in the same catagory of fundamental skills as sewing, welding/blacksmithing, gardening, first aid and the like.

I completely agree with you Bro, I got a chuckle first but also realize that it indeed is a useful skill to have.

Very useful skill to have. Who doesn't like alcohol in a crisis ? I'm planting an organic orchard at the moment and am learning how to graft new trees myself. Both of which I think should be pretty handy things to have in a year or two.

Thanks for the input. I've read both the Argentinian and Balkan experiences detailed above and tried to put myself in their shoes and how I would survive having very little ground level skills... Being able to created safe alcohol allows me to:

1. create a product with a wide variety of sources (potato, fruits, rice, etc.)
2. can be used as barter
3. recreational drug
4. medicinal drug

Maybe its something all of us should learn since it seems like it would be very useful if SHTF. Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and start doing it.

Thanks for the input. I've read both the Argentinian and Balkan experiences detailed above and tried to put myself in their shoes and how I would survive having very little ground level skills... Being able to created safe alcohol allows me to:

1. create a product with a wide variety of sources (potato, fruits, rice, etc.)
2. can be used as barter
3. recreational drug
4. medicinal drug

Maybe its something all of us should learn since it seems like it would be very useful if SHTF. Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and start doing it.

Plus you could make a lot of friends merry during a SHTF scenario.

The only "bug" a boo with it is that you essentially need to become a yeast farmer in a SHTF scenario.

I believe fruit wines can be made by simply leaving the top off of the container for a day or so before covering and allowing the fermentation process to occur.

The Irish have it right

this is only an intro though )-:

heres a bit more

and now I have to revisit Ireland (-:

Well, the ATM's are reportedly empty in Athens, as well as evcery major city in Greece. I expect some crazy shit over teh next few days if these knuckleheads follow through with the austerity vote. :popcorn:

I found the link:

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f6/empty-atm-pbs-documentary-economic-collapse-argentina-515/

This is a very valid and important discussion DC, thanks for keeping it going here. As you are probably the single most prepared person on this site, and likely one of the most prepared in the country, your information is equally important. You are shooting for 100% complete self sufficiency, while many of us here are shooting for a sort of self sufficiency that keeps us merely alive and fed. I truly wish I had your location and resources because I would be constructing the same systems for myself.

While I have consciously stored away solar panels and components required to provide power, I refuse to pay the vig to my county seat merely to install them on my own home. To install my panels would cost 2 grand for stamped, engineering drawings and calculations, another 5 hundred for permit fees with 35 dollars for an inspection at five definable levels of completion, another fee to a licensed electrician, another fee to a licensed tree trimmer to take care of a big water oak in the way of my free sunshine........etc. etc. etc.....seemingly to infinity.

All that said, I hope to be moderately comfortable when the balloon goes up. At least I hope to be so as long as our little coalition holds together.

Last edited:
heh

ever wondered why the controllers insist we all are only capable of doing one thing ?

Back
Top Bottom