Salvation Army pans for gold (coins)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
A Salvation Army secret donor returns, this time outside a grocery store in Libertyville continuing the much-anticipated holiday tradition of donating gold and silver coins during the annual Red Kettle campaign.

A half ounce South African Krugerrand gold coin valued at $1,200 was discovered Thursday evening in a Salvation Army Red Kettle at a Jewel-Osco in Libertyville.

“It was a huge boost to our morale as a team here,” said Dan Faundez, corps officer at the Salvation Army Waukegan Crops, who found the gold coin. “As we started our Red Kettle campaign a week and a half ago, it was a very slow start.”

“It’s just fascinating how whoever it is doesn’t show any sign of making this a big deal or giving us any hint of who they are,” Faundez said.

Donations received during the Red Kettle drive stay local, so the gold coin will fund programs and services in the Waukegan and Libertyville communities such as rental assistance, food, toiletries, transportation assistance, thrift store vouchers and medical assistance.

That's pretty generous.

I'm sorry, but I'm a cynical old man.

Every year I read these stories, I can't help but think that for every one of the articles we see that mentions a gold coin being found, there are several others that were pocketed by someone working at the facilities.

i found it intresting in our local area bell ringers got started about 2 weeks ago making for a long season

Another report, this one from Indiana:
Two gold coins were discovered in the Salvation Army’s Red Kettles on Wednesday. Volunteer bell ringers from Dupaco Community Credit Union found the coins which had been dropped in Red Kettles at Crossroads Hy-Vee and Walmart in Cedar Falls.

He probably bought it back when it was $200!
My guess? Someone got it as a gift from a relative, or found it in their parents' property when closing the estate. He had no clue what it was worth - less than a Hershey's bar, just ask Mark Dice.

So he tossed it in the Sally pot to diss them.

I'm glad someone recognized it for what it was. As posted above, I'm sure more have wound up there, and were thrown out as slugs, or pocketed by kettle-ringers.

i found it intresting in our local area bell ringers got started about 2 weeks ago making for a long season
The kettle take has dropped - since the Sally went Woke.

I won't give to them. Not anymore...all they stood for, is gone. Now it's not about temperance or Christian living, but Social Justice and skin hue, and how they're going to re-mold man based on color chips and Die-Vers-Sitty.

Rare gold coins, worth $2,000, left as donations in Salvation Army red kettles nationwide​

Secret Santas in several U.S. cities are in ringing in the holiday spirit by leaving extra-generous donations in the Salvation Army’s red kettles.

Every year, shoppers flooding mall and stores across America in search of the perfect presents for their loved ones come across someone standing in all sorts of weather conditions ringing the charity organization's red kettles and donating bills or spare change.

More:

Maybe somebody will drop a 1794 flowing hair $1 in the bucket?

You kid, but people inherit valuable stuff all the time without a clue as to true value. I think that dynamic helps keep the Pawn industry alive.

The Salvation Army is the only charity I would donate to. But they went WOKE a couple years ago and I will not throw money in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom