Please give me your feedback on how to improve pmbug

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Instead of the streaming ticker, could we do a static one like Kitco or Goldshark?

Give me a link to the one you would like to see. I chose the scrolling ticker because it uses very little vertical real estate.

OK, I removed the scrolling ticker and added the kitco table to the top right of the page. Is that better?

lol. I can't please everyone. Should we take a poll?

I'll have to research options for that when I get some time. Some of those mapping widgets suffer from extreme code bloat (they slow down page load performance) and some might have privacy issues (sending your IP address and browsing history [on this site at least] to a 3rd party database).

Bug, if I understand attachments correctly, there are two ways to attach images:
1) By direct upload of an attachment from the poster's computer.
2) By linking via the "IMG" tag to a image hosting service such as TinyPic.com.

#2 works well, but personally I think #1 is a quicker and easier method. The problem with #1 is that the image shows up as a small icon in the post and reader needs to click on the icon to view the image (sometimes it it more aesthetic to have the images show without having to click icons).

Is there a way that you can arrange it so that method #1 actually posts an image, rather than an icon, in the thread?

BTW, thanks for a very well-run site.

Bug, if I understand attachments correctly, there are two ways to attach images:

Correct.

Is there a way that you can arrange it so that method #1 actually posts an image, rather than an icon, in the thread?

No, the attachment system was designed this way to save bandwidth (and keep the costs of hosting the site down). That's why I prefer uploading to tinypic and using the IMG tag.

when you click on the search drop down feature at the top of the page, when you are in a thread, the "like" bar gets in the way. try it.

This depends upon which browser you are using. The problem is evident on some browsers, but not others. I've contacted the folks who maintain the script that adds the like feature, but they didn't seem to have any solution other than to update my browser. Maddening.

Did pmbug get it's first sponsor? :D
image-5717438-10929490

Sort of. It's an affiliate relationship, not a direct sponsorship. I haven't yet set up a policy/program for potential sponsors to contact me or know what's available. I was going to wait on that until the site has grown a bit more (and thus would be more attractive to potential sponsors).

Fortunately, this site is piggybacking off of my dedicated, managed server that is hosting another site (totally unrelated subject matter) that does have sponsors/revenue so I'm not desperate for funding sources to cover pmbug expenses.

Maybe you could use another gold and silver prices banner at the top of the site.
Today some markets are open. Your charts say "markets closed". Kitco doesn't show the changes in prices.

The charts of www.24hgold.com show the changes in prices:
usGOLDn.png

usSILVERn.png

Good suggestion. The charts I was using had the cleanest look of all the ones available. I decided to run with the charts from goldseek and silverseek for now. For some reason, I just find them easier to read than the 24hgold charts.

I know real estate is an absolute premium Bug, but the Clustermaps thing is awesome and will give us a direct way to see where the site traffic is coming from, possibly giving us additional information and allow us to better respond to newbies and their questions. Sometimes I tend to be a bit impatient.......even downright intolerant of extreme newbies because the questions the can ask are so completely beginner as to beggar the question; "Did you do ANY research first, or are you asking us to hold your fucking hand here"? And, although I want to help and educate as many as possible, I have noticed at my own blog, there are more foreign readers than I would ever have thought, and they are from places as far from our society as Kazahkstan and India.

I'm just saying....

The issue with the maps isn't so much real estate (I wouldn't put it at the top of the page) as performance and privacy. I really don't like the idea of giving a 3rd party information on who is visiting pmbug if I can help it. It's another reason I don't have Facebook and Twitter plug-ins all over the place.

I'm a bit vexed that Ron's campaign sent out an email saying they wouldn't be spending any money campaigning in remaining primary contests. Hard to ask people to donate money when it's not clear what it is going to be spent on. :shrug:

I've seen that beeing posted, but maybe they still need money to make sure their delegate strategy is working out like it should, i.e. paying lawyers etc?

If Ron Paul has enough delegates, he may be able to wrangle the Veep slot. As far as I am concerned, something is better than nothing. I sent in 50 bucks on Sunday.

GO RON PAUL!

Last edited:
Silly quirk of the website: It lets you rate threads you created

Was it designed that way on purpose?

How do you:

1) edit a poll you created?
2) delete a thread you created?

Last edited:
oi !

just cos you dont like the way the voting is shaping up, now you want to edit it !!!

ever thought of becoming a politician ? :rotflmbo:

A section for advice or questions specifically for people new to PM's. Seems like we got a lot of people that new to PM's wanting basic advice and the advice we have given can be lost with all the other discussions going on so we should have it centrallized in one section.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll get on it when I return to the office (I'm at a convention presently).

Give a man a fish and he's happy for a day. Teach a man to fish and he's happy for life.

Back
Top Bottom