Priceless pot of gold discovered

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So that's where my great, great, great grandpa put that ... :paperbag:

Did anyone else catch this line:
"Just two of the 108 gold dinars could have provided for an extended family of 12 to 24 people for a month"

I wonder how much gold was in each piece. If we could find that out, it would pin point a closer approximate value of gold almost 1000 years ago.

Your first link is blocked, but according to the second the 108 coins represent 14 ounces. If 2 coins could support a large family for a month, then (14/108)*2 = 0.259 ounces of gold could support a large family for a month.

Unless you think you can support a large family on $411 a month (0.259*1588), I think gold is undervalued today compared to that time period.
:cheers:

Your first link is blocked, ...

:(

4.25 grams of 22ct gold / 1366.oz ... (0.1252 troy oz. AU)

Silver Dirhams Coins - 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 dirhams.

Gold Dirhams Coins - 1/2, 1, 2, 5, and 8 dinars.

According to Islamic law, the dinar is a gold coin is 4.25 grams @ 22k
According to Islamic law, the dirham a silver coin is 2.975 grams of pure silver.
According to Islamic law, 7 gold dinars must be equal in weight to 10 silver dirhams.
∴Half dinar gold coins @22k = 1/20 troy oz gold coins @24k
∴the 2 dinar gold coin @22k = 1/4 troy oz gold coins @24k
∴the 8 dinar gold coins @22k = 1 troy oz gold coin @24k

:mrt:

I *have* supported a middling family on under 500/month. It's not that hard, but look at the situations now and then.

There was no such thing as big screen TV - and cable bills - same for me.
No rent - you were a freeholder - same here.
No expensive medical - they didn't have it, and we chose to do without.
No air conditioning - ditto.
No power bill...no phone bill, no preprocessed boxes of cereal that cost 10 times the value of the grain in the box.

The definition of "support" has changed quite a bit - thus your argument for gold being undervalued because of that is rendered questionable. You have glass windows! Did they? See what I'm saying here?

Back
Top Bottom