Silver Toning

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jd1123

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hey all -

Just bought some JM 100oz poured bars. They look much different than other stuff I have bought.

The silver appears to be "toned," with the sides and bottoms of the bar having an almost black appearance. It looks cool, but will it affect the value if I decide to resell them at some point?

Thanks.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/jd1123/photo_zpsb5235e15.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all -

Just bought some JM 100oz poured bars. They look much different than other stuff I have bought.

The silver appears to be "toned," with the sides and bottoms of the bar having an almost black appearance. It looks cool, but will it affect the value if I decide to resell them at some point?

Thanks.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/jd1123/photo_zpsb5235e15.jpg

The look as if they were painted and it has chipped off. Did you purchase from a door stop company!? lol.

Me.. I would remove all uneven toning with E-Z-Est coin cleaner for the gorgeous shine. Want tone... combine petroleum jelly and sulfur, available as soil acidifier and tone it.

Bars like that are sweet! I traded all mine for 90% US coinage. Because that size is for generational investment, not transactions.

Again sweet!

Yeah - I buy all sorts. These bars were offered at he same price as NTR machined bars, so I went with them for some variety. Got them from a reputable shop so I certainly hope they weren't used as doorstops. But I guess if you've got the type of money to have a silver doorstop, why the hell not?

In general, tarnish does not affect resale (bullion) value - it can affect potential numismatic premiums. Paint on the other hand, might affect both.

In general, tarnish does not affect resale (bullion) value - it can affect potential numismatic premiums. Paint on the other hand, might affect both.

Dealer is telling me it is in fact paint and does not affect resale value. I don't know if I agree with him. Any way to remove the paint without ruining the bar?

Dealer is telling me it is in fact paint and does not affect resale value. I don't know if I agree with him. Any way to remove the paint without ruining the bar?

My painters eyes thought it was. I would use a citrus based no voc paint remover.
Before such, toothpicks and toothbrush may separate paint from surface. Both are used with coins that are dug up. If you remove most or some melt the pieces and smell which type of paint it is. Then you could try LIFT-OFF paint remover. Sold at Homedepot and this stuff truly is magic. Does what is says without a doubt. I have back-up spray bottles off it in case it is rendered "unsafe". Or... in a pot you do not care about, boil it. Silver will not care. If wanting a fresh shine while boiling, add salt. This removes all tarnish, thus part of paints adherence capability. You could also try freezing the bar and with a wooden mallet, tapping the brittle paint off. Or a piece of wood(dowel) and hammer. Avoid sharp edges or points. Have fun, I would.

The only practice to avoid; abrasion.

Last edited:
d-Limonene will do it like '47 says. Then, take a chopstick and smash the fat end with a hammer so you have a stiff brush then soak the silver and use the "brush" to clean out the nooks.

Or, how about a heat gun? Heat won't hurt the metal but will waste the paint.

Back
Top Bottom