Central Bank Actions in the EU

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vox

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Here is what I'm understanding has happened so far. Can you guys check me and make sure I'm not missing something here:

------------------------------------------------------------

Sometime over the Thanksgiving holiday it became apparent that there were one or more major European Banks that were certainly insolvent and about to blow up for lack of funding and liquidity of assets.

The action taken was an attempt to ease the capital constriction and prevent the meltdown.

Fundamentally, we have a several banks in Europe that have severely impaired balance sheets - they are holding debt (in bonds) from the PIIGS and unfortunately that debt, according to the market is junk. It's worth 50 cents on the dollar, if that. The catch here is that the Banks are carrying it all as if its worth 100 cents on the dollar - which its not. To further complicate this matter, these banks are levered at 20, 40 maybe even 50 to 1 in that theater with ZERO transparency. Meaning, we cannot view/review balance sheets - we have no idea wtf is actually occurring on their books. (unlike American Banks which have to report to the SEC and Banking Commissions on a quarterly basis).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom