Greece is burning

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Anyone besides me watching this fucking spectacle?!?!?

If the technocrats succeed in forcing austerity down the throats of the working class, I guarantee a revolution. They will burn this fucker to the ground......and rightfully so.

The Greeks need to tell the banksters to go pound salt. I see no way for them to even make their scheduled interest payments, much less pay off the principle they owe. Someone needs to explain to me in plain English exactly how hundreds of billions in new debt do anything but put them in a deeper fucking hole.

I am so completely beyond angry about he situation I cannot even find proper adjectives to describe it. I watch these jackasses wearing thousand dollar suits make speeches, trying to explain how borrowing money to repay the Rothschild family their blood money is a good thing, yet still cannot reconcile the math.

I am so completely beyond angry ......

heh :pffftt:

Wish it would play out as you would like Ancona.

Divide and rule is what we see ....
easy to make the angry ones look like they are 'the problem' or 'making things worse'

When I saw how the Irish rolled over, I was frankly astonished but eventually realised it was further affirmation of how effectively the controllers can manipulate public attitudes .

First came to my attention when Argentinia took back the Malvinas, or stole the Falkland Islands, depending on whose media was being pumped your way.

and within a few weeks they went from being a friendly lot who gave us corned beef to get us through hard times during and after WW2, to a bunch of 'terrorists' who we should use our Trident submarine nukes against.

Tabloid newspaper headlines like 'go kill an argie' and 'Nuke Buenos Aires' were actively encouraged here in blighty and we all went along with it.

Still astonished at how blatant and how effective the process of 're educating' is.

To be honest, the Greeks needed to impose fiscal austerity on themselves a long time ago. Their economic foundation is way over tilt (too heavy with unsustainable retirement plans/benefits and public sector spending) and that's why they are in the debt mess they are in.

I agree that kowtowing to the banks for more debt isn't the way forward. They need to break their chains - strategic default and leave the Euro. But if they don't significantly cut back on public sector spending and entitlements/pensions, they will find themselves back in this boat very soon again.

Athens burns and the dollar is down. Take whatever you want from that...

Yeah, at least some of the Greeks had a long nice free ride off borrowed money. Not knowing any better than plain human nature and how it works everyplace else, I'd guess that those at the top of things got most of the "benefit" before any trickled down.

It's no different here - when we print, guess who gets to spend the money before it causes inflation?

Long before this, we were hearing about the best tax cheats on the planet, the large fraction of people driking Ouzo on the beach all day and general slackness. I'm sure there was a least some substance to that.

But now, of course, when austerity has to happen in some form - it's the bottom of the chain that gets hit first and hardest. Even if it was "fair", it hurts more to lose some of a smaller income than a larger one - you don't see the fat old guys out there in the streets...

So, I'd guess that there's a little something to both sides of that. What I don't get is all that calling of the Germans Nazis for simply asking for (some of) the money they lent back.

That's pretty scary in terms of longer term, it's not a funny joke - and for that to have currency means a whole lot of people really don't get it. Don't their own leaders mention that the EU's been lending and bailing them out the entire time?
I mean, what if Germany and others hadn't bought their bonds in the first place?

Not that they are all that "special" - when was the last time the US did anything but roll over debt, you know, actually pay some of the principal down? Was I alive then?
I know I'm getting old and haven't heard of a single instance of debt paydown, ever.
Even Clinton's supposed surplus was a projection, never a reality.

There, but for the grace of god, go....

@ ancona,

You really got a ton (> 100) of green arrows there at ZH last night re yoru remarks about Athens coming here...

@ all

I just saw a graphic on Obama's new budget. 60% is "Mandatory" spending. It is crystal clear that Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security must be CUT NOW. Will that happen? No way.

I stand by my response to you, ancona, that by measuring how fast the contagion spreads from Greece (post-default) to Portugal, Spain and Italy will give us an idea of how quickly the financial tsunami arrives to our shores.

At least almost all of us have STARTED preparing for the hard times ahead. I myself need to do much more to cover all of the bases, or even most of them.

Holy shit DoChen, 156 up on 8 down!! I just went back and read through about two hundred comments. I really hit a nerve with a lot of people. Sure, I got some down arrows too, but the majority of folks agreed with my sentiments. Rarely do I get in the comment thread high enough up the line to actually b4 a part of the "feed", but last night it was too fucking cold to be outside so I just scrolled around the internet for a while and ended up on ZH.

I truly believe that when the tsunami hits America's shores, the entitled masses will tear this nation apart. Every single city will burn to the ground.

We rigged it so the bulk of the entitled are old, infirm, or stupid. Should be interesting.
How would even occupy wall street have happened without working iPhones? Real scary, those guys (not!). They'll probably just not be able to pay the bills, and not be able to get together anymore...I doubt most of them know how to work a dial phone.

Yah, I'm kidding.

On the other hand, just bought 5kw more solar panels, some controllers and another inverter so I can charge my car up even on cloudy days....heh. And some nice full spectrum led lights - sweet - they've come a long way and save even over the CCFL's I'd been using.

And some nice full spectrum led lights - sweet - they've come a long way and save even over the CCFL's I'd been using.

full spectrum LED's ? didnt know about em
My experience with LED lights is that they have a rather narrow field of brightness ( that'll probably indicate how much i know about lighting )

and CCFL's are better / more efficient but radiate the frequency of mercury according to Dr Mercola, who advises we stock up on the old incandessants ..

So whats your verdict on the new LED's then ?

Well, i just bought 300 tea lights at £3 / 100. One of these little candles will burn for eight hours.

0.125p per hour compared to 0.3p per hour for a 25 watt CCFL

Allowing myself an average of 4 hours of lighting per night ( more in winter ...)
thats 600 nights i could do with no leccy lights

better get some more of them tea lights and a bundle of bic lighters then (-;

Actually the new LED lights are phenomenal. I saw the new installations on the third floor of the Operations and Check-out Building at the Space Center and they are indistinguishable from incandescent lights except for the light being "cleaner". In addition, they do not get anywhere near as hot, so the energy offset increases because you have reduced the amount of excess heat you have to fight with the HVAC. When I think about how many light fixtures there are in that building, that alone has to require many tons of A/C just to maintain equilibrium. With the LED's, you save a shit-load right out of the gate by running a lot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom