By how much will US unemployment rise now?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Potemkin

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
With the government shutdown and sending away those 800,000 employees, by how much will the unemployment rate increase? How much is this in terms of percentage?

I have personally laid off 36 people in total, since all of our work was on federal installations. If this is not resolved by Friday or so, I'll lay off the rest of my people.

I have personally laid off 36 people in total, since all of our work was on federal installations. If this is not resolved by Friday or so, I'll lay off the rest of my people.

You actually have employees? Or you are an employee yourself?

It's not the same - working for the government or having your own business?

Gosh this whole thing sounds so ugly in the news.

On Saturday the Pentagon said it would recall most of its 350,000 furloughed civilian workers back to their jobs. So, there's that.

They should cut the military spending and the World would become more peaceful, but I guess it's partly the military spending and production that's running the economy...

The government is his client - his employees are working on projects awarded by government contract. When contracts are put on hold, contractors generally have to let folks go. There are a lot of government contractors working for NASA and other agencies that are similarly affected.

I am Vice President of a firm in which I hold a minority interest. As such, I have between 20 and 120 employees depending upon total work load. At this point, we are gearing up a shit-ton of work, requiring that I have no less than 100 employees to augment my current work force.:flail:

I was told that existing government contract work could continue, but new contracts were not going forward.

I guess a potential "silver" lining is that the longer the government stays shut (and closer to default) the more likely it becomes that your silver will get more valuable? :shrug:

I was told that existing government contract work could continue, but new contracts were not going forward.

That could be. I'm not in that business. I know a lot of the contractors in my local area (Aerospace contractors like LockheedMartin, etc.) depend upon a steady stream of new contracts to keep their folks employed. It would not surprised me at all to learn that unofficial work slowdowns are in effect - progress slowing down to keep existing projects ongoing.

Back
Top Bottom