Schiff, Lyster and Yahoo! talk inflation

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
I didn't know that Lauren Lyster (of Capital Account on RT) does a show for Yahoo!. Anyway, she had Peter Schiff on to talk about inflation:
New York Times columnist and economist Paul Krugman is among those who recently took aim at Schiff for his inflation predictions, saying people in Schiff’s camp need to rethink their approaches to modeling the economy. Schiff in turn has responded in an article and video post, attacking the CPI as “meaningless.”

“It is sheer propaganda,” Schiff tells The Daily Ticker. “Prices are rising at a much more rapid rate than the CPI would suggest.”

Schiff points to changes in methodologies for calculating CPI as one problem. The index reports on price movements and consumer choices and substitutions. Schiff looked at Bureau of Labor Statistics price changes for 20 goods and services between 1970 to 1980 and again between 2002 and 2012, decades that Schiff says were both periods of large deficits and loose monetary policy.

Schiff found that his basket of goods increased 61% faster than CPI for the period between 2002 and 2012. In contrast, his basket rose just 5% faster than CPI from 1970 to 1980.

“How can you believe these statistics when the numbers are so flawed?” Schiff asks in response to his research on CPI. “I don’t care what the government is telling me. If the government weatherman tells me it’s a sunny day and I can see it’s pouring rain, I’m not gonna believe the government, I’m gonna go outside with an umbrella.”

Video and transcript: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...bles-down-inflation-prediction-144054976.html

Aha. I generally don't pay attention to that sort of thing. Capital Account was a good show. Shame it's gone.

yeah, I am missing Capital Account too, I was watching them daily in recent times. These daily ticker episodes are not even close in the format to the CA. Too bad..

As for inflation, I totally agree with Bug's explanation, that the amount of new M1 money created, barely replaces the amount that went "puff" in 2007, creating huge wealth transfer in the process, and being parked at the banks/Fed overnight, collecting the spread. But just you wait - I cannot possibly think, how Fed is going to arrest the inflation, when/if it finally arrives - what, they will sell back all the toxic assets, that they are currently accumulating? For how much (i.e., how much base money will they be able to recapture)? More importantly still: to whom? Alien economy from space? :rotflmbo:

Or, to put it more bluntly: can I get some billion from the CB, pretty please, using my sweaty t-shirt as a collateral? They can always sell it back into the market and extinguish the money created this way, when the inflation starts to show up. No? oh, I forgot, I am not JP Morgan & perps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom