Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Fiat Ponzi

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Island_Dweller
  • 1 Post By ancona

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Fly on the wall

Liked: 53 times
Who is Tyler Durden?

Just started a little bit of digging into ZH, I thought this might interest a few of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...XLE5BXvLDLA2oK

http://catastrophist.wordpress.com/t...l-ivandjiiski/

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

Please add anything else you find of interest.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of ZH and am not trying to harm their reputation. I'm merely curious about who runs it and what the press has to say about them.
swissaustrian likes this.
Island_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Fly on the wall

Just had a thought on this. I noticed the critics of ZH like to focus on the conspiracy that Goldman is in charge of the world and call ZH crazy for that, but no critic addresses the problem of central planning, money printing, global debt, etc.

Although, they do give them Kudos for HFT. I also found it interested that they stopped reporting NYSE trading data after ZH posted several articles based on that data.

Nothing to see there I guess.....
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 925 times
ZH is certainly a great site with very fast reporting (Sometimes pmbug is even faster, though ).
Sometimes they overhype a certain issue which is ok (e.g. the death of the JPY carry trade after the Japan tsunami).
They certainly influence markets which is quite extrodinary given that this site is run by a bunch of people who left Wall Street on bad terms. The original Tyler seems to have violated some minor SEC regulations [everybody does that...] and got kicked out of the industry. Maybe he had some moral issues and was deemed not suitable by his supremes?
They're also not totally understanding some of the problems here in Europe. For example, they were claiming that the ECB couldn't indefinitely expand their balance sheets (print money) like the FED. This was obviously wrong. Every central bank can print to infinity. Whether there is a law which prohibits that or not doesn't make a difference.
swissaustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Fly on the wall

Here's what a quick search on his violation:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/FINRA+...g.-a0184757077

In the second action, FINRA barred Daniel Ivandjiiski of New York, NY for buying shares of Hawaiian Holdings, Inc, which owns Hawaiian Airlines, one day before Hawaiian Holdings publicly announced that it had reached an agreement with its creditors to increase Hawaiian Airlines' credit lines by $91 million. Ivandjiiski previously had been employed at an investment banking firm working on the deal to increase the credit lines.

In May 2005, Ivandjiiski became employed by another firm, Miller Buckfire & Co. Nevertheless, before the financing deal for Hawaiian Holdings was announced, he obtained confidential documents that his former firm had prepared concerning the impending deal. On March 14, 2006, while in possession of that material, non-public information, Ivandjiiski bought 1000 shares of Hawaiian Holdings for $4.75 a share. On March 15th, when the new financing was publicly announced, the share price of Hawaiian Holdings increased 6%, to close at $5.30. On March 21, 2006, Ivandjiiski sold his 1,000 shares of Hawaiian Holdings stock for $5.53 per share, for a profit of $780.

In settling these matters, neither Kelly nor Ivandjiiski admitted nor denied the charges, but consented to the entry of FINRA's findings.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2443 times
Whoever he is, he never answers any emails that I send him.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Fly on the wall

$780! Man, that's Martha Stewart-like serious business!!!

Wikapedia describes her crime as "In 2004, she was convicted of lying to investigators about a stock sale and served five months in a West Virginia federal prison."

Wow, lying to the criminals is a crime itself. How come their lies to us aren't crimes?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Fly on the wall

Here's an interesting article on ZH and Dan Ivandjiiski:

http://nymag.com/guides/money/2009/59457/
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
KMS

Liked: 119 times
My understanding, and according to the Wiki page, that "Tyler Durden" is a collective of numerous individuals. I hold that must have some truth to it, because he would have to be non stop typing to put up some of the rather largish posts he's made, in the short amount of time that they sometimes go up.

Also, he's the man.
– Ernest Hemingway

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it - Mark Twain
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Tyler durden is not a man, rather "he" is an idea, just like in the movie.
white&yellow999 likes this.