Yellow Jacket

Liked: 925 times
The empty ATM - PBS documentary on the economic collapse in Argentina

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/ep...l-episode/670/
swissaustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Although the link no longer takes you to the video, I have seen it and it is truly unnerving. Can it happen in the US? Absolutely. We have had a bank holiday before and will have one again. We are already limited to a relatively small amount of cash that we can withdraw from the bank. If you go to BAC they will tell you that to get more than six of seven grand, you have to order it in advance, and you will be subject to all kinds of questions and scrutiny. We are already a corporate fascist country and are on the way to becoming a world class police state. The very best single thing for this country would be an outright and complete collapse of the fiat banking system. Billions of people will be wiped completely out. Those people with tens of billions in paper wealth will become paupers overnight. Those who have real assets such as gold and silver coins and bars will become the new wealthy. Gold, silver and food. Those who have started large gardens will become rich by virtue of having one of the three things absolutely essential for human survival.......food. Aside from water and air, food is something we all need, yet take for granted. When the just-in-time delivery mechanism fails as a result of a fiat collapse, the world will learn about hunger the hard way and many millions will starve to death.

There are many naysayers out there who pooh pooh the idea of collapse, saying that we are too advanced as a civilization for that to happen, and to those people I would say look no farther than the wars in the Balkans. Money became worthless and canned goods, fuel and bullets became the defacto currency. Those who had some lived, and those who did not simply died.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 925 times
Sorry, this is the correct link:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/ep...roduction/894/
swissaustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Yellow Jacket

SA,
There is a guy who lived through the great reset in Argentina, whose name I cannot immediately remember, but whop wrote a blog about it. What he wrote closely resembles my own take-off about what will happen here, albeit with significantly less violence.

I predict major racial strife, as African Americans and "disaffected" Latinos and Latino youths rampage through our neighborhoods in search of food and fuel. That said, I pray I am prepared enough to withstand the Golden Horde. In fact, i think we should have a thread here solely about The Big One.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Liked: 280 times
ancona, I think you are talking about FerFAL, right? Chris Martenson did a pretty good interview with him.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/a...ollapses/59179
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
I haven't had a chance to watch the video sa posted yet, but thought this thread should also mention this excellent documentary about the collapse as well:

Ferfal's blog: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

Some of the older posts on his blog are really interesting.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Yellow Jacket

I found the other one I referenced earlier. It has been widely vetted and teh concensus seems to be that it is genuine.

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/...nd-account.htm
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 344 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
SA,
There is a guy who lived through the great reset in Argentina, whose name I cannot immediately remember, but whop wrote a blog about it. What he wrote closely resembles my own take-off about what will happen here, albeit with significantly less violence.

I predict major racial strife, as African Americans and "disaffected" Latinos and Latino youths rampage through our neighborhoods in search of food and fuel. That said, I pray I am prepared enough to withstand the Golden Horde. In fact, i think we should have a thread here solely about The Big One.
You might be talking about ferfal? His blog is at:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/ ,
which is also chocked full of other good info.

And here is one of his earlier descriptions of his experiences during the collapse in Argentina:

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html
ancona likes this.
Unobtanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Yellow Jacket

I spent a half hour today, looking through some of the accounts of what it was like in the balkan "cleansing" a while back, and it woke me the hell up. Those who think shit will carry on as usual, or anything remotely resembling "normalcy" are in for a seriously rude awakening.

Got Guns, bullets, beans and band aids? While I am at it, got tanks of propane and drume of gas/deisel?

No!?!?!?! Get some!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
yup that Balkan bloggers experiences are chilling.

'We all did terrible things ... you had to, to survive'

Civilisation is a very thin veneer, eh ?
ancona likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 78 times
I think the best skill for me to learn is to master distilling alcohol since I have no survival skills at all.... good idea?
Unobtanium and rblong2us like this.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Big-eyed bug

Originally Posted by Shelby-villian View Post:
I think the best skill for me to learn is to master distilling alcohol since I have no survival skills at all.... good idea?
Thanks Shelby for a much needed jolly chuckle on that one!

Well as they say, having some skills is better than having none! And at least you will learn one other skill while you are at it: plumbing.
rblong2us likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #13

Liked: 280 times
That might be worth a chuckle, but seriously, that would be a very good skill. Even putting the bartering functions aside booze may be an important source of clean drink when water is scarce, something to cook food in, and it can be used for disinfectant. I'd put brewing/distilling in the same catagory of fundamental skills as sewing, welding/blacksmithing, gardening, first aid and the like.
Unobtanium likes this.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Big-eyed bug

Originally Posted by dontdeBasemebro View Post:
That might be worth a chuckle, but seriously, that would be a very good skill. Even putting the bartering functions aside booze may be an important source of clean drink when water is scarce, something to cook food in, and it can be used for disinfectant. I'd put brewing/distilling in the same catagory of fundamental skills as sewing, welding/blacksmithing, gardening, first aid and the like.
I completely agree with you Bro, I got a chuckle first but also realize that it indeed is a useful skill to have.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
n00b

Liked: 7 times
Very useful skill to have. Who doesn't like alcohol in a crisis ? I'm planting an organic orchard at the moment and am learning how to graft new trees myself. Both of which I think should be pretty handy things to have in a year or two.
suibhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 78 times
Thanks for the input. I've read both the Argentinian and Balkan experiences detailed above and tried to put myself in their shoes and how I would survive having very little ground level skills... Being able to created safe alcohol allows me to:

1. create a product with a wide variety of sources (potato, fruits, rice, etc.)
2. can be used as barter
3. recreational drug
4. medicinal drug

Maybe its something all of us should learn since it seems like it would be very useful if SHTF. Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and start doing it.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Big-eyed bug

Thanks for the input. I've read both the Argentinian and Balkan experiences detailed above and tried to put myself in their shoes and how I would survive having very little ground level skills... Being able to created safe alcohol allows me to:

1. create a product with a wide variety of sources (potato, fruits, rice, etc.)
2. can be used as barter
3. recreational drug
4. medicinal drug

Maybe its something all of us should learn since it seems like it would be very useful if SHTF. Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and start doing it.
Plus you could make a lot of friends merry during a SHTF scenario.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
The only "bug" a boo with it is that you essentially need to become a yeast farmer in a SHTF scenario.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Yellow Jacket

I believe fruit wines can be made by simply leaving the top off of the container for a day or so before covering and allowing the fermentation process to occur.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
The Irish have it right

this is only an intro though )-:

heres a bit more

and now I have to revisit Ireland (-: