Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Liked: 280 times
swung by the bullet store - ammo availability

So I went to the LGS for the first time since the school shooting, black rifles did not exist as expected, a couple of hand guns here or there (oddballs like a .44 mag, judge, .22 M&P).

Some guy comes up to the counter and asks "ya'll got any 5.56?" The clerk answers "nope, all out" and the guy shuffles away. I joked with him with "the whole world is out" and he asked rhetorically if the guy has been stuck in a cave for the last month.

I actually just wanted to post some observations on ammo availability.

Handguns:
No NATO rounds anywhere.
No .40, .45, or .38sp either. There was a box of .357 mag.
.44 mag was available.
Hornady Crit Defense in 9x18 was plentiful, but being fancy hp rounds they were still pricey (not bubble priced though).

Rifles:
No NATO rounds anwhere; com-block equivalents gone as well.
Not that I was looking, but didn't notice any of that fancy AR stuff like 6.8 whateveritscalled.
22-250 was probably the best stocked item
.243, .270, and some 30-06 were on the shelves
30-30 was gone

So if you were in the market for a precision/large game gun, going with somethign like a .270 would be better than, say, a .308.

Shotguns:
Fancier 12ga rounds were available (steel, less common shot sizes), but only a handful of boxes here or there.
There was supprisingly a little bit of 00 there too, and some slugs.
There was some standard clay shooting loads (2 3/4 1oz 7, 8) but not much (and those didn't last long ). It probably just came down to when the truck comes.

20ga was basically the same story, just less all around since they never stock as much of it anyways.

If you have a .410 you would be in business, plenty to chose from (relatively). I didn't check out too any of the details since I don't have one, but the sheer number of boxes on the shelves was apparent compared to the rest.

For those who don't have a full realoading system running (large stock of primers and powder, lead source), it seems a shotgun would be the easiest to keep feeding and particularly the .410.

As if we needed more excuses to go shopping.

Last edited by dontdeBasemebro; 01-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Forgot to mention than 10mm was in decent supply, similar to 9x18 hp.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Same here in Florida......only worse.

Picture if you will, a food store in old SovietRussia, after bread has been distributed and you get the idea. The places are fucking empty fellas'.....empty. There is simply nothing left.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
Excellent thread D.D.B.M.B!

Tomorrow I am off to do a little recreational shooting with my AK (my first time shooting Russian ammo, might be fun!). I also hope to be able to at least replace what I shoot with more that I can purchase (there are two gun & ammo stores near where I will drop the ladies off at the mall while I do my own shopping...). But, I have a feeling you guys are right (esp. Florida), there likely will be nothing for me. I plan to shoot 120 rounds total (80 Russian). At least I still have some 2200 rounds left.

If I am still motivated tomorrow PM, I may issue a "Range Report" if enough of interest happens (how Russian "Tula" ammo worked for me (from Wal-Mart six weeks ago), how my new magazines are working (got them JUST before they got really scarce, I wonder why they are scarce...), etc.
PMBug and ancona like this.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
Mote in the Fed's eye

Liked: 22 times
I'm seeing the same thing. Plenty of boutique bolt action calibers and nothin' else. But I'm kinda proud to see that 30/30 gone, I'd like to think that Americans are still carrying leverguns.
MiningNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2437 times
Just checked CDT website for ammo. Lots of pretty yellow "out of stock" buttons to be found (sort price low -> high and show 150 per page to see 150 of them at once).

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
haven't bought any ammo in years? (went crazy a few years ago and bought an arsenal). But a friend called me and said he has two .308s', a 22-06, and several shotguns for sale. He said he had ten boxes of 22-06 also, and that you could neck down 30-06 if you were doing your own reloading. Didn't bite; he also said he would be glad to take silver in exchange (I bought a 20 gauge off him a while back for 17 dimes and some other change). Now you peaked my curiosity, think I'll go see whats available today. get back to you....
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Liked: 683 times
If you visit the evil gun shows, one thing that stikes me are the great deals on revolvers these days. Everyone is rushing to pick up the rifles and semiauto pistols and ignoring the revolvers. A buddy of mine picked up a really nice security six ruger recently, that has had a trigger job that alone cost $100 or more, for $400.
ancona likes this.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Interesting example of panic buying? Or, does anyone know the delivery schedule for all those billions? of rounds for the .gov purchases that could be impacting the supply? You'd think the real "gun-guys" would have been ready long since.

So this is being sold to ??? People with fantasies of holding off an army with their couple K of rounds while not being shot themselves? They are really 2,000 times better in a firefight than all comers?
Are the wrong people getting armed?

I smell lunacy combined with fear - not good. I am glad I was ready ahead of time, with ammo, and tools/supplies to reload every caliber I have plus most of what my neighbours have (they provided the dies and brass for theirs long ago, as I make better ammo than they can buy for their guns at any price).

Sounds like I should go crank out some 1000's of rounds and offer them for sale. No way I need what I have already, realistically, other than perhaps barter. Can anyone imagine a situation where you'd need more rounds than most can even carry - that you'd live through? Would you really gun down a few hundred unarmed "zombies" since in fact they'd actually just be humans? Do you honestly think you could if even 10% of them were armed?

Just going for the basic reality check here. Right now, filling a few propane tanks and getting a bit extra food are higher on my list - it's 13f here this AM. Nice time for plenty of extra heat and cocoa etc. And a nice time to discover that I built this house so I didn't wake up cold even though the woodstove pooped out sometime in the middle of the night and was cold when I fed the cats.
dontdeBasemebro and rblong2us like this.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Yellow Jacket

What you say makes sense DC. My clan has wwhat we have for home security, and no, I do not see myself in a situation where I am battling with a huge group of zombies. I do however want to be prepared against the bum rush. If a few guys are trying to get in to my home, or trying to rob me, I will not hesitate to shoot them, even though they are just humans. Is it panic buying? Certainly. I cannot see ever paying 2,500 dollars or more on a simple AR-15 rig. those who are most likely have no frame of price reference and are simply reacting to what they perceive will ultimately be the confiscation of weapons. GovCo should take this as a wake up call and think really hard about what they ultimately propose, because any attempt to take away our guns would be political suicide for those members of congress that sign on.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Jay
Yellow Jacket

525rnds 22 LR .22LR 10/22 Ammo Ammunition Bullets
Current Bid $146.41

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326746109
dontdeBasemebro likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2437 times
Whoa. That's crazy. 500rds .22LR should only be around $20.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 131 times
Report from local gunshow from the neighbor.
Cheapest .223/5.56 $800 per 1K.Selling well.
.22 LR $50-$65 per brick.
AR 15's $2-2500 & sales slower.
Magazines still very high.
Reloading component vendors virtually sold out.

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!
ancona likes this.

Last edited by BigJim; 01-22-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: More Info.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 131 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
Whoa. That's crazy. 500rds .22LR should only be around $20.
There is no "should be" anymore Bug,sorry to say.....

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
dontdeBasemebro likes this.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

I hope in the future Austrian economists will be writting about the "Bullet Bubble" the way they have about the tulips.

DC, I agree that massive piles of ammo aren't needed for defense, since most defense situations are infrequent and short lived. What I do worry about is being able to find/afford plinking ammo to continue enjoying shooting as a hobby. IDPA is coming up soon and I'm honestly a bit hesitant since 9mm is nowhere.
ancona and BigJim like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

Range Report -- 22 January 2013

After dropping off my wife, her parents and her friend at the mall (!), I dropped into Bass Pro Shop to see if they had AK ammo (7.62 x 39), NO! No word as to when it would be in stock either.

I then went to the outdoor range with the intention of shooting my Russian "Tula" brand ammo with my new magazines in my AK to see how well the ammo worked and if the magazines were OK. But, the outdoor range was closed, it is actually a county park (!), and closed every Mon. and Tues. Sigh..., it is the only local place where I can shoot out to 100 yds.

So I went to an indoor range not real far from there. They DID have AK ammo there, but limited me to "whatever I shot at their range" plus 40 rounds more. I shot 60 rounds. They would NOT let me shoot my Russian ammo (steel bullet (!), apparently they "stick" to their back wall or something). Sigh again. So I shot what I had loaded up and bought a little more (mentioned above). The brand they had was "Fiocchi", made in Hungary, but it was brass rather than steel as well as genuine lead bullets...

I then took the others back, returned to my office, field-stripped the gun, cleaned it (first time in many months) and reassembled it.

So, net it out I shot 60 rounds and bought 100. But, I really want to try out my new magazines and Russian ammo... Soon?

EDIT

When I finished at the range and was paying, they guy there asked to look at my AK. I own a "Saiga" a Russian-American hybrid (most of it was made in Izhevsk -- home town of the AK-47). I bought it some two or so years ago for $900 and something. The guy said that (new) it was now running for $2900 retail! Wow, better than any of my other investments! He told me I could get about $2400 for it if I sell it (used, about 1000 rounds total through it, cleaned twice).

He asked me to call him if I want to sell it before I put it on eBay... But, NO WAY I am selling my AK.

Last edited by DoChenRollingBearing; 01-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 98 times
So yesterday I went with a friend to the gun store because he wanted to get a new Semi-auto pistol, what I saw and heard hardly shocked me but did kind of come as a surprise... first, we showed up almost immeadiatly when the store opened, as my buddy was checking out the picked over selection of handguns, I started looking for accessories for myself. They had 2 Mag Pul 30-round mags for the AR... $40 a piece...but they were behind the counter, when I asked the clerk about them, someone else a few feet down from me was also asking about them, sufice it to say we each bought one. However, $40 I thought was a little pricey considering $15-$20 was what I was used to seeing, the clerk said "thats nothing, we saw some private sellers selling them for $75-$100 a piece." So while I had the clerk there I asked him if he had any .223 or 5.56 rounds, he said no and had no idea if they had any coming in anytime soon. While this whole situation was going on I did notice 4 AR varients on the wall and this peeked my curiousity (I thought they were all sold out, everywhere), so I say to the guy, "seems like you have a few ARs on the shelf, I'm pretty surprised." He said ALL of them were on cosignment with $2500-$3500 price tags (he also said two were just basic Bushmasters nothing special, and he said confidently that they would sell), non were the stores actual supply, as they have been sold out for a while. My buddy ended up getting a Taurus 9mm its actually pretty nice, but they did have a limit on boxes of ammo (even for the 9mm), two boxes per customer.

So after we field stripped and oiled his new piece we grabbed my gear and went to the closest range that is opened on Mondays. We got there, and there was an hour wait to get a lane. It was a holiday, MLK day, so a lot of people were off but this is a twenty lane range, I had never seen it this packed, infact I have never had to wait to get a lane there. Also I asked about ammo for sale and they said only if your putting it down our range, I thought this made good sense since with this range you aren't allowed to bring your own .223 or 5.56 ammo. We left empty handed and without firing our weapons... it was disappointing.

However we went back today, we got a lane without a problem, but they could only sell us two boxes of 5.56 ammo for the range. That was no big deal as we were there to break in the new 9mm mostly. When we were leaving I asked if there was a chance I could get some boxes for home, the manager told me they litterally got a delivery about 10 mins ago, but they would only sell two boxes per customer because of the limited supply.

I think there is a lot of panic buying going on, and its a sellers market, very tempting to put mine on cosignment to 4-5 times what I paid for it, just for shits and gigs. But you never know if you would ever be able to own one again or get one for a reasonable price that it probably isn't worth it.

Last edited by white&yellow999; 01-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.
white&yellow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 98 times
DCRB Sounds like you and I had VERY similar expiriences... very wierd.
white&yellow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Jay
Yellow Jacket

went to Wallyworld in the neighboring town. their ammo case contained:
4 boxes of .243
6 boxes of 30-06

a few assorted boxes of shotgun shells.

will check our local hardware store tomorrow. Doubt they have anything left. Haven't checked the bait shop. The "new" gun store here in town had two boxes of Federal .308 for 43.50. He said he sells out whatever caliber that is delivered each day.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

I have enough .22 cal. to last until the rapture, so I gave a box to a buddy who needed some. The guy nearly cried. He said he drove all over creation looking fro some ammo and everywhere he went they were out. The one place that had .22 was restricting sales to one box of 50 per customer. What a drag! So, I gave him a box of 550 Federal I don't particularly care to shoot.
white&yellow999, BigJim and Jay like this.