Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Here in FL, there is really not much available in quantity. 9mm can be had with limitations, .22 is tough to find and expensive when you do, although I bought a thousand rounds for the 'ol pile for 35 per 500 rd./box.

5.56 and .223 are tough to get, and most retailers are at or near a buck a round, which I fucking refuse to be extorted out of. My retail re-loader, who I will not name here because I don't want to see a run on his stock, will give me 5.56 and .223 for 32 cents a round if I keep recycling my various and sundry brass through him. He tells me that powder and primers are a bitch to get in any quantity and that brass is even harder.

I still go to the range and do the brass crab thing, crawling around looking for discarded brass, but the pickings are thinner than usual with everyone hoarding their ammo these days. I am down to three five gallon buckets of un-sorted brass, so I too will be slowing down a bit. Things are very, very slowly stabilizing, but they are far from back to normal here in FL.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #42
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
.22 was 40 dollars a brick in Cloudcroft. My friend posted on Gunbroker that HIS friend said there was plenty of ammo in NM, and so he asked his mom to stop in gun shops on the way as she was driving there. (I'm in Central Texas). She said no ammo in any shop she stopped at all the way to Ruidosa, that I was full of crap. (?) Maybe we just got lucky....
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2456 times
$40/brick? Damn. I remember buying it not too long ago at $20/brick.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #44

Liked: 280 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
$40/brick? Damn. I remember buying it not too long ago at $20/brick.
I wish I could even seeing .22 on the shelves.

12ga is still around though, so I've been busting clays mostly.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #45
Jay
Yellow Jacket

every time I went by Wally world in the pre-freakout days I bought a couple of boxes of .22 at the old 16 dollar price, so I'm good till the rapture (I think Ancona said that). But WHY is 22 so expensive. Even though they called it a tactical caliber on the news tonight, and every cop in the US has an AK-47, also according to the news, its not and they don't. My friend had a box of what I call CB caps (.22 shorts?) for 10 dollars at the gun show, and I didn't buy them (100 rounds). Now I wish I had.

IT WAS THE F$%#ING POLICE CHIEF WHO CALLED .22 A TACTICAL CALIBER AND A PASSERBY WHO SAID EVERY COP ON THE SCENE (THE FLA "TERRORIST" COLLEGE ATTACK) HAD AN AK-47. WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS LEO SPOUTING? /rant off.

Last edited by Jay; 03-18-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: to rant
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #46
Golden Cockroach

Originally Posted by Jay View Post:
IT WAS THE F$%#ING POLICE CHIEF WHO CALLED .22 A TACTICAL CALIBER AND A PASSERBY WHO SAID EVERY COP ON THE SCENE (THE FLA "TERRORIST" COLLEGE ATTACK) HAD AN AK-47. WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS LEO SPOUTING? /rant off.
ancona, BigJim and Jay like this.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #47
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
.22 is expensive because:
A. Everyone wants it
B: No one can reload it.

Hence, no competition to hold prices down. Costs me less to shoot real centerfire than that, since I recycle both brass and lead. .22 is still a nice round for what I actually need a gun for around the farmstead, but you don't actually use much for that "business" - just the odd varmint.
ancona likes this.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Although I have the devils share of .22, you can never have enough in my opinion. Once you get started at the range, going through a box of 500 with me and three friends and Little Ancona does not take very long.

I agree with the Fusor here in that .22 is not re-loadable so it must be manufactured new every time, but center fire can be reloaded a bunch of times before it becomes scrap metal.

Things are stabilizing here but not really loosening up much. I think there may actually be something to the accusations leveled against those with majority positions in these industries, and that there may be some pressure from Dear Leader and his idiot minions to hold back production and create a false sense of shortage.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #49
Yellow Jacket

What my pro ammo maker friend tells me is it's just demand. I asked if they'd been told anything - but both private and *public* (militarizing the cops) demand are just really high. EG, their volumes are NOT down, but way up, and they are hiring and doing capex to get more ammo assembly going on - and they are in CA of all places.

I myself have been slacking on that - I have thousands of rounds worth o parts I have to make back into ammo, but the new GF (you heard it here first) is going to love running the Dillon, I think. That cha-ching sound for each round gets 'em every time.
PMBug and ancona like this.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
Jay
Yellow Jacket

local hardware store has .308, 30.06 and all handgun cals at prefreakout prices. No 22. Forgot to look if they had any .223 (I'm not buying ammo, so I really don't care) This on SHTF in Houston:

PMBug and dontdeBasemebro like this.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #51
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 883 times
Ammunition Is Getting Scarce ..........

This morning I lucked out and was able to buy several cases of ammo.

On the way home I stopped at the gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde was filling up her car at the next pump.

She looked at the ammo in the back of my Suburban and said in a very sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, big boy".

"Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?"

I thought a few seconds and asked, "what kinda ammo ya got?"
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #52
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

Here's a fun guns & ammo website run by robots:

gunbot.net

Happy hunting!

EDIT:

They should do one for these for gold coins and other things where there is scarcity yet a lot of suppliers.

goldbot.net
bearingbot.net
Etc...
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #53
Golden Cockroach

That looks a lot like http://ammoseek.com/

Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #54
Jay
Yellow Jacket

went to the local gun show this morning to drool over the 30-30's I have been coveting the last two years (they had plenty. 350-550 range). Didn't buy anything but a brick of winchester .22lr was 85$, a 50 round box 8$. Almost no ammo there this time and not so many guns. Forgot to look at prices since I was focused on one thing. My kids said there was a whole lot of silver there, but I didn't notice it.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #55
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 83 times
That's better than my gun show.

Boxes of 50 were going for $10!

Crazy crazy crap.

-Q
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #56
Golden Cockroach

I was browsing through the latest CTD catalogue (they mail me one every month) and noticed that they didn't list any prices for ammo or gun parts. This is the first time I've seen that. They normally list their prices. I guess the prices for ammo and parts are too volatile to commit a price for a month.
Jay likes this.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #57
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
I was browsing through the latest CTD catalogue (they mail me one every month) and noticed that they didn't list any prices for ammo or gun parts. This is the first time I've seen that. They normally list their prices. I guess the prices for ammo and parts are too volatile to commit a price for a month.
yeah, I noticed that. For some reason, CTD has decided to send me a catalog every month, even though I don't buy anything from them. I did buy a tactical light from them about three years ago. The pharmacist at the grocery store I work for came up to me yesterday and said "my friend was looking for "bullets" for his gun and had to drive all the way to Austin to find them, and then only one store had them for .50 cents each and he could only buy one box". I suppose he was talking about .22 but he was REALLY shocked. I don't think that most folks are paying any attention.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #58
Yellow Jacket

Interestingly, the price of reloading tools hasn't really gone up much at all...
A minimal set is really cheap - you don't have to go all out as I did.

I think I might do a thread (with video) here or on my board (and link back here of course) on how-to. People like us, who like to be prepared, should be into this and taking note of conditions. Besides, it's fun to do - and to shoot ammo you know is tuned for *your* gun(s). While primers and such are a little scarce right now, they're not impossible to get, nor is propellant. Save your brass...if you don't want it, someone else will pay you for it if it's in decent condition.

Heck, I even cast my own handgun bullets, it's not hard, and it's something to do with all the lead my target backstops fill up with. I do some rifle bullet casting as well, but you don't get the performance there, even with specialized alloys for that - jacketed is the way to go for effectiveness, though plain hard alloy lead works out fine for plinking - you just get (much) lower velocities if you want anything like decent accuracy (which means you use less powder too).

Primers are the thing that's hardest to make yourself...they're worth having a stash of in the various types (small and large pistol and rifle, magnum and non, mostly non). So if you see boxes of 1000 - it's not a bad thing to get and have on hand, even if you only know someone else who loads (ask them what they usually use most of, they'll be grateful if you find them some, usually).

It would be far easier and more effective a ploy for the gov to shut down ammo availability than guns. Ammo gets used up - guns don't and there are a heck of a lot of them in existence already, just waiting for a boat accident should that seem wise.
PMBug and benjamen like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
My LGS (Gun) sold me 100 rounds of Fiocchi 7.62 x 39 (Hungarian-made, lead bullet w/ copper, brass case) for $101.00 (included sales tax) last Friday. I saw that they had more, but 100 rounds was all they would sell me.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #60
Yellow Jacket

A buck each for 7.62x39? Wow, who'da thunk that? That's about the most common and cheapest round out there! Or, used to be. Someone's stacking profits.

When I load benchrest grade .223, it works out like this:
less than .50 for a brass - which I use many times over.
3c for a primer (used to be 2)
25 or so grains of powder (there are 7k grains per $25 pound, now that's about $30, so call that 10c)
and, about 20c for the bullet if it's a true benchrest grade sierra matchking (I use 53 grain flatbase for short ranges, and nosler 77 gr for long range in .223, both moly coated - barrel stays clean longer that way and wears less).

Note, I don't use my 1/4 moa AR in competition except to prove it can be done. I have a cooper in bolt action single shot that is just like a laser, it's easier to win with that. Most of the accuracy difference in tests is the autoloading - it bends the rounds a little getting picked out of the mag and slammed into the chamber - single loading it, the accuracy improves a lot.

So, let's assume that I use brass about 10 times (which is about right for me, I get maybe 25 or more in .38 and other low pressure handgun rounds - primer pocket wears out which is the limit there). So the real cost of the brass is 5c. So, adding it all up, 5+3+10+20 = 38 cents a round, and that's for the very best - shoots all into the same small hole at 300 yds. If you're willing to accept say 1 moa (1" at 100 yds) then maybe about 20c a round. And that's retail prices for the parts. If I buy bulk, like Dianne Bishop (pro ammo maker in CA), it's half that. And of course, you can cast your own bullets if you have a mind to, but in rifles, they don't work all that well above about 1800-2200fps, which is on the wimpy side for a rifle. The larger calibers work better with lead alloy (linotype). In .223, you can almost not load them hot enough to make the action of an AR work right before they just go crazy inaccurate due to melting from friction as they go down the barrel.

Now, if you go to midway, you can get real decent but not my version of perfect .223 projectiles for way less than half that price - the good stuff you pay for, even in bulk, mostly for the quality control involved. Prairie dog bullets are under 10c each. And there's cheaper powder than I use for competition also out there - helps to buy in bulk. But I use what I use in competition because it burns very clean and I don't have to fool with cleaning during a match.

What has also helped me, being kind of the neighbourhood gun guy, is that when estates go (someone dies) whoever inherits reloading supplies just gives them to me.
So I have dies for calibers I don't have guns for, literally 100's of lbs of powder I paid zero for, brass and bullets and primers the same. But for real serious work, I use pretty new and state of the art stuff I do pay for, since all in all - it costs less than the trip to the competition, a lot less, and why try to win with second best stuff?

Of course, there's also labor involved. My brass especially goes through quite a prep process - I ream the primer pocket flat, debur the flash hole, and turn the necks to perfect uniformity of wall thickness. Then I sort by weight and only use matching weights for a batch for competition. Anything that doesn't come out of the dies with less than 1 mil total indicated runout gets used up in a fun gun like my carbon-15 .223 pistol, that isn't accurate anyway. Turns out for ARs, straightness matters more than anything else for accuracy, as I found out with a heck of a lot of testing. If the bullet doesn't start straight, it won't fly straight - the pressure will bend it to fit the bore...crooked or not. But I only do all that for "serious work", not for just having some fun on the range. Knowing you have 15 minutes of work in each round makes you aim more carefully, since you know any error is now your fault as a shooter.
PMBug likes this.