Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Library > Marketplace

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
Apmex

I love apmex's website. It's easy to navigate and clearly shows their premiums and cash vs. credit card prices. Shipping information is easily found by adding items to the shopping cart.

Apmex accepts payment by credit card, check or wire transfer. When paying by check, they will lock in the price at the time you place the order.

In my experience, their packing and shipping is excellent. I've never had any problems with any orders.

As one of the largest online dealers, they also have a huge inventory, which means they have items like American Silver Eagles when most other dealers have run out of inventory.

However, they are often not offering the best prices around. It pays to shop around if price is your biggest concern. Apmex does run specials from time to time that beat the going rates elsewhere. I'd suggest signing up for their mailing list to get email notifications when they put things on sale.

Pro tip: you can view the available inventory for many products by trying to add 99999 into the amount field for an item. They don't necessarily list their entire inventory online (they hold some stuff in reserve), but you can be sure that if you place an order, they actually have the inventory to fulfil the order.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Mote in the Fed's eye

Liked: 4 times
Stopped buying from APMEX,they are (from what I have seen) of the large dealers, the most expensive of all.
Prems are higher than a Kite.
Plus JPM is their Bank.
DosZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 95 times
You know, I've purchased a substantial amount of physical from apmex. Never had a problem at all as well, and any time I've had questions, the staff did a great job of answering. The only place I've found that was a little cheaper (though I'm sure there are plenty out there, they are just unknown to me) is Gainesville coins, but honestly, I don't mind paying a little extra for the peace of mind that apmex's custormer service provides. Their buyback price is always listed with every item before you ever add it to your cart.
dali lambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
n00b

Liked: 1 times
From my experience i like how they have world gold coins especially the ones' from Monnaie de paris at small premiums' over spot.

One of things i don't like about the site is lack of newly added coins link. Also make sure your credit card billing address matches your shipping address that caused an issue with one of my orders.
Jjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Mote in the Fed's eye

Liked: 4 times
Quote :
Their buyback price is always listed with every item before you ever add it to your cart.
Almost always.

They are a good company, but I have had personal issues of Prems going up, much quicker than most sites I deal with.
And, I did buy quite a bit from them over a years time, prompt,courteous, and delivery same,before going elsewhere.
DosZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Apmex usually have good buy back prices. I use their buyback prices as a benchmark for person to person trades.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
I know someone very well who has nothing but good things to say about Apmex. He has bought a lot of product from them, gold and silver. So if you count as second-hand account from me, Apmex seems to be one of the best for small and midsize orders.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I like Apmex because, unlike many of the other dealers, I have never had a bad experience with them. They are straight up and will tell me to within a single day of when I can expect my silver. I seldom use anyone else. Sure, their premiums can be high on small purchases, but when you are talking about monster box quantities, I call them directly and often get lower premiums. BTW, I usually use BWT to pay.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

Liked: 280 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
I like Apmex because, unlike many of the other dealers, I have never had a bad experience with them. They are straight up and will tell me to within a single day of when I can expect my silver. I seldom use anyone else. Sure, their premiums can be high on small purchases, but when you are talking about monster box quantities, I call them directly and often get lower premiums. BTW, I usually use BWT to pay.
I wish I could do more than just talk about monster boxes...
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
All right you opinionated mofos! Vote! Look just above the first post in the thread on the right hand side where it says "Rating" and quantify your opinion for the benefit of people browsing this forum room. Thanks!

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
I bought from them in the past- I will buy from them again.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Predaceous stink bug

I just took an online questionaire for APMEX, and in return they are offering free shipping on a purchase of 3k or more by the 4th of May. The discount code is SSGIFT if you guys are interested. That'll save you 5 minutes on the questions and 25 bucks.
PMBug likes this.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Once you have ordered enough times from Apmex, shipping becomes a flat $10 for any size orders in the future.

Information passed along from a friend that uses them a lot.

Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Predaceous stink bug

Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:
Once you have ordered enough times from Apmex, shipping becomes a flat $10 for any size orders in the future.

I've heard the same thing, but did he say at what point "enough" is?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 68 times
I've used Apmex for most of my PM buys in the past year with nothing but excellent service. Yes, sometimes their premiums are a little high, but I often take advantage of their e-mail specials.

However, for 90% junk coins, check out big coins.com.
ancona likes this.
HCA1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Apmex is beyond awesome for service. Sure, their premia are high but you get what you pay for.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 71 times
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:

Originally Posted by dali lambone View Post:
I've heard the same thing, but did he say at what point "enough" is?
When is this point? 10 orders? 20?
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Ground Beetle

Liked: 304 times
Thumbs up

Just used them for the first time. The website was professional, fast, and they followed through exactly as advertised. A big thumbs up.
ancona likes this.
Aubuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
I can't compare as Apmex is the only vendor I've used outside the coin guys who show up at gun shows (who usually have a lower vig both directions, but who usually don't have a big selection of new stuff).

Apmex is perfect as far as I can tell. Just zero problems. They even walked me through setting up a wire xfer with a couple of my fiat institutions so it was so utterly painless it was hard to believe. Only one other vendor of anything has been as good, and it's the same idea - they are a bit high, but you get what you pay for (McMaster-Carr, who gave me an open account just for the asking, and who ships within minutes of my mouse click, wish they sold gold too).
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Ground Beetle

Liked: 304 times
There has been a terrible tornado strike near Oklahoma City today and I think that is where APMEX is located.
Aubuy is offline   Reply With Quote