Review: Apmex

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

5.00 star(s)
2 Rating - Raters
apmex-blue-logo.png

Shipping: $10 on orders under $200, free for larger orders. All orders shipped with insurance.

Payment Options: Credit/debit card (excluding prepaid cards), PayPal, Bank Wire, eCheck, Paper check, Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC), Dogecoin (DOGE), Litecoin (LTC), Shiba Inu (SHIB), ApeCoin (APE), Polygon (MATIC), 5 USD-pegged stablecoins (GUSD, USDC, USDP, DAI, and BUSD) and Circle Euro Coin (EUROC)

~~~

In my experience, their packing and shipping is excellent. I've never had any problems with any orders.

As one of the largest online dealers, they also have a huge inventory, which means they have items like American Silver Eagles when most other dealers have run out of inventory.

However, they are often not offering the best prices around. It pays to shop around if price is your biggest concern. Apmex does run specials from time to time that beat the going rates elsewhere. I'd suggest signing up for their mailing list to get email notifications when they put things on sale.

Pro tip: you can view the available inventory for many products by trying to add 99999 into the amount field for an item. They don't necessarily list their entire inventory online (they hold some stuff in reserve), but you can be sure that if you place an order, they actually have the inventory to fulfil the order.

Last edited:
Stopped buying from APMEX,they are (from what I have seen) of the large dealers, the most expensive of all.
Prems are higher than a Kite.
Plus JPM is their Bank.

You know, I've purchased a substantial amount of physical from apmex. Never had a problem at all as well, and any time I've had questions, the staff did a great job of answering. The only place I've found that was a little cheaper (though I'm sure there are plenty out there, they are just unknown to me) is Gainesville coins, but honestly, I don't mind paying a little extra for the peace of mind that apmex's custormer service provides. Their buyback price is always listed with every item before you ever add it to your cart.

From my experience i like how they have world gold coins especially the ones' from Monnaie de paris at small premiums' over spot.

One of things i don't like about the site is lack of newly added coins link. Also make sure your credit card billing address matches your shipping address that caused an issue with one of my orders.

Their buyback price is always listed with every item before you ever add it to your cart.

Almost always.

They are a good company, but I have had personal issues of Prems going up, much quicker than most sites I deal with.
And, I did buy quite a bit from them over a years time, prompt,courteous, and delivery same,before going elsewhere.

Apmex usually have good buy back prices. I use their buyback prices as a benchmark for person to person trades.

I know someone very well who has nothing but good things to say about Apmex. He has bought a lot of product from them, gold and silver. So if you count as second-hand account from me, Apmex seems to be one of the best for small and midsize orders.

I like Apmex because, unlike many of the other dealers, I have never had a bad experience with them. They are straight up and will tell me to within a single day of when I can expect my silver. I seldom use anyone else. Sure, their premiums can be high on small purchases, but when you are talking about monster box quantities, I call them directly and often get lower premiums. BTW, I usually use BWT to pay.

I like Apmex because, unlike many of the other dealers, I have never had a bad experience with them. They are straight up and will tell me to within a single day of when I can expect my silver. I seldom use anyone else. Sure, their premiums can be high on small purchases, but when you are talking about monster box quantities, I call them directly and often get lower premiums. BTW, I usually use BWT to pay.

I wish I could do more than just talk about monster boxes...:rimshot:

All right you opinionated mofos! Vote! Look just above the first post in the thread on the right hand side where it says "Rating" and quantify your opinion for the benefit of people browsing this forum room. Thanks!

I bought from them in the past- I will buy from them again.

I just took an online questionaire for APMEX, and in return they are offering free shipping on a purchase of 3k or more by the 4th of May. The discount code is SSGIFT if you guys are interested. That'll save you 5 minutes on the questions and 25 bucks.

Once you have ordered enough times from Apmex, shipping becomes a flat $10 for any size orders in the future.

Information passed along from a friend that uses them a lot.

:cheers:

Once you have ordered enough times from Apmex, shipping becomes a flat $10 for any size orders in the future.

Information passed along from a friend that uses them a lot.

:cheers:

I've heard the same thing, but did he say at what point "enough" is?

I've used Apmex for most of my PM buys in the past year with nothing but excellent service. Yes, sometimes their premiums are a little high, but I often take advantage of their e-mail specials.

However, for 90% junk coins, check out big coins.com.

Apmex is beyond awesome for service. Sure, their premia are high but you get what you pay for.

Just used them for the first time. The website was professional, fast, and they followed through exactly as advertised. A big thumbs up.

I can't compare as Apmex is the only vendor I've used outside the coin guys who show up at gun shows (who usually have a lower vig both directions, but who usually don't have a big selection of new stuff).

Apmex is perfect as far as I can tell. Just zero problems. They even walked me through setting up a wire xfer with a couple of my fiat institutions so it was so utterly painless it was hard to believe. Only one other vendor of anything has been as good, and it's the same idea - they are a bit high, but you get what you pay for (McMaster-Carr, who gave me an open account just for the asking, and who ships within minutes of my mouse click, wish they sold gold too).

There has been a terrible tornado strike near Oklahoma City today and I think that is where APMEX is located.

APMEX is tops on customer service and their shipping charges are nasty, all as noted above. One thing I don't believe was mentioned above though is that they carry a truly extraordinary inventory which is second to none. If you're looking for some pieces to fill holes in a bullion series you're working on, APMEX is frequently the place to go. If they don't have what you need, the only hope left is often eBay.

Apmex's facilities were not hit:
Kasey: Thank you for contacting APMEX. My name is Kasey, how may I help you?

pmbug: Hi Kasey, I just wanted to ask if Apmex was affected in any way by the recent tornado in OKC? I hope all Apmex personnel in OKC are OK.

Kasey: Thank you for checking on us. Our offices weren't actually hit, but we do have several employees that had serious damage to their homes.

pmbug: Glad to hear no one was hurt. Best regards to the employees who's homes were damaged. Peace.

Kasey: Thank you, i will pass on your well wishes.

APMEX is tops on customer service and their shipping charges are nasty, all as noted above.

the only hope left is often eBay.

APMEX has a storefront on E-bay. The prices seem to mirror the standalone site within a few cents, but the shipping is more competitive. $4.95 vs $12.99 on the APMEX site. They also combine shipping, so you save a little more. The trade-off is that the selection is limited to more popular items.

From the e-bay home page, go to collectibles and you'll see APMEX bullion center.

I found a cool feature on Apmex today. I've been out of the metals game for a few months now, so I logged in to stack a little today. When I logged in, I noticed that under my profile, they now track with a graph the amount of metals you have, the dollar amount invested and your current dollar value of all the metal you have purchased through them. It would definitely save a little time on the calculator.

I found a cool feature on Apmex today. I've been out of the metals game for a few months now, so I logged in to stack a little today. When I logged in, I noticed that under my profile, they now track with a graph the amount of metals you have, the dollar amount invested and your current dollar value of all the metal you have purchased through them. It would definitely save a little time on the calculator.

wow! I didn't know that existed! I've "made" 27.64 this month!!!! Wooo-Hooo. This month is the only time I've ever bought from them.... hear that NSA
:rotflmbo:

I just got an email from Apmex about a customer loyalty club:

Your loyalty means the world to us, and APMEX Club shows our appreciation with tangible benefits. These benefits can include free shipping, discounted storage, advanced notice of promotions and much more. Better still, membership is free. You become a member with your first purchase. ...

http://www.apmex.com/APMEXClub?&RIL...nsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=APMEX Club

I've heard that Apmex has offered perks to customers who buy a lot before, but no one has ever been able to quantify what was needed to get those perks (as far as I've seen in forums anyway). Looks like Apmex is now publicizing a formal program for it.

I just got an email from Apmex about a customer loyalty club:

http://www.apmex.com/APMEXClub?&RIL...nsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=APMEX Club

I've heard that Apmex has offered perks to customers who buy a lot before, but no one has ever been able to quantify what was needed to get those perks (as far as I've seen in forums anyway). Looks like Apmex is now publicizing a formal program for it.

I get an email notification every day from them about what ever sale they are having, even though I have only made three purchases, and for less than a total 2000 dollars.

APMEX is tops on customer service and their shipping charges are nasty, all as noted above. One thing I don't believe was mentioned above though is that they carry a truly extraordinary inventory which is second to none. If you're looking for some pieces to fill holes in a bullion series you're working on, APMEX is frequently the place to go. If they don't have what you need, the only hope left is often eBay.

I think APMEX is working hard on the shipping charges. Every times, I called them I complained about the shipping costs. LOL. They finally implemented a program whereby, if you ordered a lot of coins from them, they will give you a good shipping price. For example, if you are a gold member, you will pay only $9.95 on all your orders, and anything over 5K, get free shipping.

Last edited:
Finally placed an order with APMEX, got here very fast. Only ordered some junk silver and some of the tubes from various monster box tubes to store stuff, so I hope if I do end up buying ASE's, CSM's etc. that the service will be just as good.

Last edited:
Well, their vig is high, but you sure can't complain about anything else on these guys. They've treated me right.

Placed 2 more orders with them recently, all without a hitch. BTW those America the beautiful boxes make nice little storage boxes. Using one to store my odd 22LR rounds that are either laying on a floor board, bottom of a range bag or the last couple rounds of a box taking up space on the shelf. Plastic with a tight lid keeps it from spilling quite nicely.

Seems now APMEX is starting with some shenanigans. Placed an order on Wed.(Dec 3rd) morning. They show it shipping that evening via USPS. 11 minutes later it shows it as being picked up. I emailed them Friday morning to ask what the deal was as I don't live anywhere near Oklahoma and certainly didn't pick it up, or authorize anyone to pick it up. They still have not responded to me.

I get this as a pop-up;

http://giftcards4you.com-1b.info/n185-li-orange.php?subid=pgy20fnn_94_21404618&target=apmex*

the survey is five minutes for the 100 dollar gift card. They sent the pin number to my phone. The last step was for them to instal some software into my toolbar, at which time I decided to terminate the free 100 dollar offer.

edited to add, actually my sons phone. I don't have a phone.

neglected to update this, taking this survey added a recurring 9.95 a month charge to my sons phone bill (which I had removed). I thought this was kinda shady... (or maybe I was my fault for wanting a 100 dollar gift card)

About Apmex complaints

You know, I've purchased a substantial amount of physical from apmex. Never had a problem at all as well, and any time I've had questions, the staff did a great job of answering. The only place I've found that was a little cheaper (though I'm sure there are plenty out there, they are just unknown to me) is Gainesville coins, but honestly, I don't mind paying a little extra for the peace of mind that apmex's custormer service provides. Their buyback price is always listed with every item before you ever add it to your cart.

I have come across different reviews claiming that Apmex is not the best precious metals dealer out there.Here is one of them http://bestpreciousmetaltobuy.com/apmex-review/ With that said,the company still has a worrying number of complaints on the BBB site,but I will not forget that this company has a very large customer base which will seem natural not to appeal properly to all of their customers .

Back
Top Bottom