Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Library > Marketplace

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ancona

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Fly on the wall

Liked: 16 times
eBay ASEs

Being new in the PM game I've bought a few ASEs and Canadian Maple Leafs off eBay, mainly to get in the game and learn something. I got one or two good (?) deals but what it mainly taught me was how to look for better deals, identify and jump on them.

One seller I had bought from has twice listed an offering of 5 ASEs, from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 for $118.99 plus $3,59 shipping. Both times they closed with no bids. At about $24.52 each I can understand why.

I have seen the advice to buy what you can, when you realistically can afford to. In this uncertain market (is the market EVER certain?) that is what I am trying to do.
FPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2433 times
Have you tried comparing those prices to the prices at some respected dealers like the ones listed here in the Marketplace forum?

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Fly on the wall

When I have time, yes.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have a busy, crowded life. It keeps me off the street corners at night (damn!) but I have to ration my time carefully.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
FPrice,
I go to a site that I really have no frame of reference for other than I like it because of the layout, so take it for what it's worth.

http://coininfo.com/index.php?op=searchDealers

There's a lot of info there, so for some quick ideas on what dealers are paying for coins and what they're willing to sell them for, I find it to be pretty close to what I see at my LCS when I go down there. Usually within a few percentage points anyway.

I hope this helps.

-Ancona-
FPrice likes this.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Fly on the wall

There is one benefit to eBay, or more appropriately, the use of PayPal. I can spread large purchases out over 6 months, interest free. And PayPal seems to provide excellent support in the case of any problems.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2433 times
FYI, there are a couple of well known dealers that also accept PayPal:

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f8/silvertowne-3003/

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f8/scottsdale-silver-67/

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f8/jm-bullion-2783/

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I've only done E-Bay a couple of times and I was not comfortable with it at all. I prefer walking in to a brick and mortar building, looking a guy in the eye and handing him cash on the barrel head for my shiny any more. What with Tulving going under and stiffing a hell of a lot of people, and then the Texas guy going down taking millions of dollars of other peoples gold, solver and cash, I no longer trust the on-line world as I once did.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Fly on the wall

The online world does have many pitfalls and you do have to be careful. But I've probably experienced more problems with face-to-face dealings than with online purchases. Of course I've learned from each.

Because of it's size and reputation, eBay does seem to have a fairly good program to support the purchaser in a deal that is not as advertised. I've had to use this once to return a pistol magazine that did not work properly. That, and another deal that where I should have been less eager to make something wrong into a workable solution have taught me how to better evaluate purchases and ask for my money back when necessary.

Given a choice, I will deal with a someone local before going online unless the latter deal is a lot better.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 54 times
Originally Posted by FPrice View Post:
The online world does have many pitfalls and you do have to be careful. But I've probably experienced more problems with face-to-face dealings than with online purchases. Of course I've learned from each.

Because of it's size and reputation, eBay does seem to have a fairly good program to support the purchaser in a deal that is not as advertised. I've had to use this once to return a pistol magazine that did not work properly. That, and another deal that where I should have been less eager to make something wrong into a workable solution have taught me how to better evaluate purchases and ask for my money back when necessary.

Given a choice, I will deal with a someone local before going online unless the latter deal is a lot better.

Going local in MA, http://www.bostonbullion.com/.
I have not been.
I found this dealer for my D.O. Dr. Osteopathy.
He has been and spent just under the tax question margin several times in past 4 yrs. No questions no slips no problem. Not all of MA is close to Burlington, MA maybe for you.

Ebay is the largest marketplace on the planet. People can adapt to and utilize as needed with precautionary foresight. Or choose not to utilize.

$24 for boring ASE's is insane. Orders over $100 @ JMBullion free shipping, they take paypal and beat majority of competition. Buy some 2016 Ag roos instead or Somalia elephants. More weight per $ and more collectable than 50 million high premium 2015 ASE neighbors.

Have fun damn it. Storing wealth is.
drAGonfly47 is offline   Reply With Quote