eBay ASEs

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FPrice

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Being new in the PM game I've bought a few ASEs and Canadian Maple Leafs off eBay, mainly to get in the game and learn something. I got one or two good (?) deals but what it mainly taught me was how to look for better deals, identify and jump on them.

One seller I had bought from has twice listed an offering of 5 ASEs, from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 for $118.99 plus $3,59 shipping. Both times they closed with no bids. At about $24.52 each I can understand why.

I have seen the advice to buy what you can, when you realistically can afford to. In this uncertain market (is the market EVER certain?) that is what I am trying to do.

Have you tried comparing those prices to the prices at some respected dealers like the ones listed here in the Marketplace forum?

When I have time, yes.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have a busy, crowded life. It keeps me off the street corners at night (damn!) but I have to ration my time carefully.

FPrice,
I go to a site that I really have no frame of reference for other than I like it because of the layout, so take it for what it's worth.

http://coininfo.com/index.php?op=searchDealers

There's a lot of info there, so for some quick ideas on what dealers are paying for coins and what they're willing to sell them for, I find it to be pretty close to what I see at my LCS when I go down there. Usually within a few percentage points anyway.

I hope this helps.

-Ancona-

There is one benefit to eBay, or more appropriately, the use of PayPal. I can spread large purchases out over 6 months, interest free. And PayPal seems to provide excellent support in the case of any problems.

I've only done E-Bay a couple of times and I was not comfortable with it at all. I prefer walking in to a brick and mortar building, looking a guy in the eye and handing him cash on the barrel head for my shiny any more. What with Tulving going under and stiffing a hell of a lot of people, and then the Texas guy going down taking millions of dollars of other peoples gold, solver and cash, I no longer trust the on-line world as I once did.

The online world does have many pitfalls and you do have to be careful. But I've probably experienced more problems with face-to-face dealings than with online purchases. Of course I've learned from each.

Because of it's size and reputation, eBay does seem to have a fairly good program to support the purchaser in a deal that is not as advertised. I've had to use this once to return a pistol magazine that did not work properly. That, and another deal that where I should have been less eager to make something wrong into a workable solution have taught me how to better evaluate purchases and ask for my money back when necessary.

Given a choice, I will deal with a someone local before going online unless the latter deal is a lot better.

The online world does have many pitfalls and you do have to be careful. But I've probably experienced more problems with face-to-face dealings than with online purchases. Of course I've learned from each.

Because of it's size and reputation, eBay does seem to have a fairly good program to support the purchaser in a deal that is not as advertised. I've had to use this once to return a pistol magazine that did not work properly. That, and another deal that where I should have been less eager to make something wrong into a workable solution have taught me how to better evaluate purchases and ask for my money back when necessary.

Given a choice, I will deal with a someone local before going online unless the latter deal is a lot better.

Going local in MA, http://www.bostonbullion.com/.
I have not been.
I found this dealer for my D.O. Dr. Osteopathy.
He has been and spent just under the tax question margin several times in past 4 yrs. No questions no slips no problem. Not all of MA is close to Burlington, MA maybe for you.

Ebay is the largest marketplace on the planet. People can adapt to and utilize as needed with precautionary foresight. Or choose not to utilize.

$24 for boring ASE's is insane. Orders over $100 @ JMBullion free shipping, they take paypal and beat majority of competition. Buy some 2016 Ag roos instead or Somalia elephants. More weight per $ and more collectable than 50 million high premium 2015 ASE neighbors.

Have fun damn it. Storing wealth is.

Back
Top Bottom