Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

:(

This can only accelerate the demand for aquaponics and growing your own food.

Oh hey! Look at what an awesome job the Associated Press did covering this story (as seen linked from the front page of Yahoo! right now):
..BARATARIA BAY, La. (AP) — Two years after the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill, scientists say they're finding trouble with sick fish that dwell along offshore reefs and in the deep waters — especially in places where the oil spill hit the hardest.

The scientists are unsure what's causing a small percentage of the fish they're catching to have large open sores and strange black streaks. The biggest question is whether contaminants from the BP spill are causing the problems. For now scientists can't say for sure if the spill is the cause or if it's normal to find this number of sick fish.

The fish illnesses don't pose an increased health threat to humans, scientists say, but they could be devastating to prized species and the people who make their living catching them.

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-fish-sick-where-bps-oil-spill-hit-074951853.html

Now click the link in the OP and compare and contrast.

The USA's MSM pisses me off. I took the red pill some time ago and their Jedi Mind tricks don't work on me, but there are far too many apathetic souls out there who eat it up.

Crude's pretty nasty stuff. But one has to wonder if that "soap" they put in to try and break it up cosmetically wasn't even worse. I don't happen to know that composition of it, but nothing alive likes chemicals that can make hydrocarbons miscible with water, or at least nothing I know of since our cell walls are made of lipids (fatty hydrocarbons).

The LSU researchers quoted in the link in the OP seem to think it's the dispersants / soaps.

DC,
I live in Florida, and can tell you with first hand authority that the entire food chain in the Gulf of Mexico has been severely disrupted. The Corexit poison was used exclusively to hide the true quantity of oil being spewed by the "oilcano" that BP so carelessly fucked up. Had they simply spent the money to do it right, Macondo would be producing massive amounts of oil for many years, and would have done so under it's own head pressure.

Instead, the cocksuckers cheaped out, didn't sue enough stabilization rings, used a broke-ass blowout preventer and weak cement. Because the drilling mud is expensive, they tried to pull it out too soon because they wanted to recover it for use on another rig, thinking seawater alone could hold back the head of oil. When the thing blew, it apparently caused fractures along the salt dome, causing pretty big seeps where none existed before. This disaster is far from over my friend, far from over. BP and GovCo would like us to believe BP has it all on lock-down, but that is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Shrimpers in the Keys will tell you they haven't seen a year this crappy.......EVER.

I followed the Macondo blowout closely on the oildrum and there were a lot of very informed people posting, some anonomously from the workface.
Put the site on the world map, as eventually all the media went there for information.
http://www.theoildrum.com/

Everyone was concerned about the corexit and the fact that they were dumping a lot of old, no longer environmentally acceptable mixes that would have cost a shitload to safely dispose of.

The problem is not fixed as there is damage to the saltpan but there has always been natural seeps of oil into the GoM and generally the algae can deal with it, given access that corexit seems to prevent.
So there is a large bubble or pond of oil sat on or near the bottom, that i have not heard much about in recent times.

I never understood why they didnt drill the deposit with a lateral drill, so as not to further weaken the damage, so they could relieve the pressure and harvest the oil ...

Bit like Fukushima then. We only know we are not being told the full story and there has to be a reason for that.

I too discovered the oil drum around that time, and the knowledge I gained there from real riggers gave me confidence to put on a huge short of BP over the labor day weekend, when they were trying that "top kill". That was one nice trade...

I used the money to buy another pallet of solar panels, strangely enough, made by BP...who with their "great timing" shut down their plants for that just before the spill, not profitable enough for them. So all the dealers who had stock sold them at fire-sale prices. Neat.

Back
Top Bottom