When The Economy Collapses In The USA, The People Go Shopping!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

North Americans have worshiped at the altar of the god of materialism for so long that they become absolutely fanatic about showing their devotion to their deity.

Rome isn't quite burning yet, but the people are definitely playing their fiddles.

Mark Dice (this guy) chastized Black Friday shoppers with a bullhorn:

I'll admit that I went with my wife to Walmart at 10:00 on Thursday to get $4 blu-rays and some portable dvd players and action figures (ironman and starwars) for the kids. Mostly, I was curious because I had never been to one of these "black friday" deals. There weren't huge lines or craziness but I'm guessing that's because the store was open all day. It seemed really well organized and there were lines for each special item.

IMO.. I don't see a problem with people doing the black friday deal as long as they aren't making purchases they wouldn't normally buy. IE. $25 for 8 star wars action figures.. Normally those things run $10 each so if you've got 2 sub 5 year old boys like I do, it ends up saving you a little on your Christmas shopping. Maybe my experience was a bit different than everyone else's, but I really do think that my 1st black friday experience failed to live up to the hype.

Interesting. JK, in CF Nation, says that the malls there were empty, no Black Friday like the tv says.

snip:
I dropped into the mall at mid-day on Sunday to take the pulse on the ballyhooed post-Thanksgiving ritual shopping frenzy and the place was like a ghost town. The sparse stream of supposed "consumers" had the dazed, beaten-down look of people pushed beyond the edge of some dark threshold, like displaced persons in a low-grade war zone.

http://kunstler.com/blog/2012/11/modernity-bites.html

Back
Top Bottom