10 Year Historical Chart of Gold, Silver, Platinum & Palladium

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GoldcoDirect

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
So I know this information can be readily found numerous places on the internet, but none of them are this pretty. haha.

Just a quick and colorful chart showing the prices of Gold, Silver, Platinum & palladium over the last 10 years on the same page.

10-year-history-of-precious-metals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lehman Bros implosion occurred just before the big 2008 valley, right?

late 2011 was a bad time to go 'all in' then ...... )-:
...depending how "late" in 2011 it was... I've made some purchases somewhere in December 2011 and early January 2012, and it was doing OK for most of the year (going barely noticeably negative on some occasions) - now I am about 7% up in gold, and about 14% up in silver bought back then. It works out at about 10% gold, 20% silver on a 12 months basis, if the trend continues - not too shabby, for a relatively "weak", sideways, consolidation period :).

Even the fixed interest mortgages are working out much cheaper ATM. If there ever is a reason to go into debt, that is one, IMHO :).

I know it is a difficult decision, and everyone has to make it according to his own acceptable levels of risk and personal values, but I would consider taking on some mortgage, only to put this money into PMs, and collect the (safe & inevitable, in my humble opinion) arbitrage, if I was in a position to do this (well effectively, I will be doing something very similar - getting a maximum mortgage that I feel confident paying up, and keeping most of my savings in PMs, instead of paying maximum amount upfront for the property & getting smaller mortgage). Mind you, I am mostly talking about land here, maybe with some humble and/or dilapidated farm standing on it (so there would be some sweat equity to be poured into, and the price of the land itself wouldn't be brought up by the buildings), and DEFINITELY NOT the Mac Mansions nonsense(!!!). Both land, and PMs are historically doing quite well in the very troubled times, and troubled times are ahead of us. And the actual VALUE of having means to grow your own food, to put it on your table, might be at some stage relatively soon, worth more, than our PMs.

...one can still win the rigged game - if one can see through it..

Last edited:
...depending how "late" in 2011 it was...

September 2011, had just sold the house with no plans to buy another and it was looking like the proverbial moon shot.
I was totally convinced by all the bloggers and posters on the various pm sites that 'this was it'. Easy with hindsight :flushed:

Still down £15k on the silver and £19k on the geld.

Amazingly, still up overall though and ahead of what i would be sitting on if it was all in CD's :wave:

Need silver to hit $40 and Gold above $1820, to get to where i bulk purchased.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. A lot of people "in the know" are predicting Silver to reach $50 within the next year, while some even say by the end of the year.

While I don't agree with it going as high as $50 by the end of this year, I can see it reaching $50 over the next 12 months.

Gold is also expected to top $2000 over the next year, and I have even read a couple people predicting it going over $3000 in the near future.

Again I'm not sure about the $3000 prediction, but I can see the $2000 prediction coming into fruition in the not to distant future.

I have a bunch of these prediction quotes on my website, I'll see if I can find them and post some of them.

Need silver to hit $40 and Gold above $1820, to get to where i bulk purchased.

Gold Predictions

Jim Cramer for TheStreet.com - via Yahoo Finance (Nov 2011)
"I want to own gold here. I think gold is going to $2,500 eighteen months from now (May, 2013)... Gold has been up for ten straight years and this going to be the 11th. Everything that is coming out of Europe is saying they're going to inflate to get growth... Everything coming out of China is chaos... Gold doesn't correlate with anything”

MacNeil Curry for Bank of America Merrill Lynch - BOAML Analyst Report (Dec 2011)
"From a technical perspective we believe that the bull trend for gold remains intact… with gold having not yet met any of the conditions necessary for a top, we look for significant strength in the years ahead, ultimately targeting a top between $3,000 and $5,000 an ounce [in 2013-2014]. For 2012 gold will target $2,150-$2,200..."

Citigroup Research Team – Zero Hedge (December, 2011)
"While we remain cautious on Gold in the near term...we continue to believe that the bull market remains intact...we believe that 2012 may be reminiscent of 1978 when Gold rallied nearly 50% off the 1977 close. Such a move would likely put Gold in the $2,300-2,400 area in the 2nd half of 2012. On a longer term basis we expect even higher levels and target a move towards $3,400 over the next 2 years or so."

Silver Predictions

Mike Obel – International Business Times (December 27, 2011)
“Dealers in gold and silver coins expect higher prices next year, according to a poll released Tuesday by the Professional Numismatists Guild.

“Predictions about silver in the first quarter varied from $24.35 per ounce to $57.50 with a mean average of $34.04, and from$23 to $130 with the average of $48.73 by the end of 2012, said the guild, which is based in Temecula, Calif.”

Stephen Leeb – Leeb Capital Management – KingWorldNews (December 30, 2011)
“Segueing into silver, silver is even better here. The Chinese have started to stockpile silver, sort of hidden in an announcement they made the other day. They are not going to export any silver. China is not going to export, according to their latest announcement, not even one ounce of silver.

“So, if I were to target silver for the end of 2012, I’m going to be very, very conservative and say silver will finish 2012 at $60. It’s going to make new all-time highs.”

These are just some of the predictions, if you want to read some more of them, there are a ton more on this page: http://goldcodirect.com/predictions.html

Thanks Trev.
I have learnt to be totally detached from the gold and not worry about things like tungsten or the other 50 claims on 'my' gold.
Its sat in Zurich shared equally between Bullionvault and Goldmoney and if everything goes 'mad max' its meaningless anyway.

We know which way gold must go in relation to increasingly diluted paper and there is the possibility it could have more sudden rushes of interest but with the inevitable downside that follows .........

I remain detached and vigilant.

Back
Top Bottom