50 year anniversary (Nixon/gold)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

From a rather selfish point of view, the money printing that abandoning the gold standard has allowed, has given us boomers an easy ride.

And my career in construction, starting off with building out the UK motorway network, then schools, hospitals and other gov sponsored infrastructure, had me gainfully employed and while the money might have been just a belief system, what we built remains in use today.

Would these projects have happened if we had been honest with the money ?

And while 12% mortgages were rather scary, they were just about do-able and with double digit inflation running, you had to be an idiot to loose money on property ownership.

So while I am 'all in' on gold rather than property, I am grateful for the opportunities money printing has created.

The Nixon shock was a necessary consequence of monetary policy stemming from the creation of the Federal Reserve circa 1913 (and the printing required to finance wars and such). What generally isn't mentioned in stories like the one linked in the OP is the deal Nixon made with the Saudis that made abandoning gold viable. The petrodollar has its own geopolitical costs aside from the real degredation of value in the fiat.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…