A couple is accusing JPMorgan of drilling open their safe deposit boxes and selling $10 million of their jewelry after they failed to pay rent for the

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JayDubya

Ground Beetle
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score

A couple is accusing JPMorgan of drilling open their safe deposit boxes and selling $10 million of their jewelry after they failed to pay rent for the boxes​

• A couple is accusing JPMorgan of selling valuables that were placed in the lender's safe deposit boxes.
  • JPMorgan drilled open 4 safe deposit boxes after it did not receive rent for the boxes, per the complaint.
  • The couple said the bank sent the bills to the wrong address and they have paid up.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/couple-accusing-jpmorgan-drilling-open-015408221.html

• The couple said the bank sent the bills to the wrong address and they have paid up.
dang!

My dad used to say that the bank president would read the obits and if a client of there's died they'd empty out the safe deposit boxes before releatives arrived.

Interesting. I got a message from the CEO of a major bank in the UK this morning. Someone with the last name as me died suddenly with over 8 mil in their account and they want to do something with me to claim he was a relative or some shit. offered me 1/2 the money. Told them I dont have a bank account and haven't had one in 14 years. sorry. Sounded like a scam to me

Autopay thru my main account, you set it up when you open the box, also joint account with sibling but I keep the keys.

The couple said the bank sent the bills to the wrong address and they have paid up.
Article says the bank sent notice to an address they did not give to the bank. Oops! That's kinda f'ed up

It also says they've had the boxes since 2006. So they should have been well aware that the bank has to be paid their annual fee in order to keep the boxes in good standing.
When they did not receive a bill that they should have been expecting, and had been receiving for the past ten years, the proper thing to do would have been to contact the bank about it. Especially when there is ~9million dollars on the line.

Things sometimes get lost in the mail, and ya gotta follow up on that shit.

To me, it'd be like not receiving an electric bill and thinking nothing of it until the guy is outside disconnected your meter for nonpayment.

As for their lawsuit, good luck with that. Unless they can prove to the court what was in the box, it's their word against the banks, as to what was in the box and what its fair market value was. A simple list of items isn't going to cut it.

Edited to add: the smart thing to have done, woulda been for 'em to have paid the fee in advance for the number of years +1 that they were planning on being away from their primary home. That way they'd know it was paid and they'd have a receipt in case anything went wrong on the banks end. As it obviously did if they sent notice to the wrong address.
Also, is it possible to have the contents in a SDB certified by a third party? So that if anything did go wrong, there would be a verifiable list of the contents and their value.
Does anyone know if such a service exists?

Last edited:
Probably Nigerians immigrated to the UK?
I got a very funny notice from a cousin of mine who'd gotten a letter explaining that I had died in a highway accident in Nigeria. He gave me his heartfelt regrets that I was dead, and asked if he wanted me to have him claim the $20MM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom