A store of value

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Wife was watching an old episode of The Andy Griffith Show and I caught a scene where Opie was negotiating a weekly allowance for doing chores. Andy was going to offer him 25 cents a week before deciding he deserved 27 cents a week for reasons. Opie joyously exclaimed, "That's a whole dollar more a year!" Hoo boy did that really date this show. Good job Federal Reserve. Good job indeed.

Folks like me who are living on SS & savings & whatever I can churn with the buy sell trade thing are always pounded the hardest as they watch the value of their lifetime's efforts lessened each year.
That said, both my kids (age 35 & 40) don't really seem upset by rising prices as their incomes are increasing more than price inflation.
For them, each year is a little better (as it used to be for me) so they feel they are getting ahead.
(My youngest never ceases to bring up how at age 10 I only paid him $1.00 an hour to stack firewood)
The gold I bought as a hedge against inflation is currently looking pretty good, the silver not so much,

My wife's mom, 85 lived in an independent living facility. She had Alzheimer's (she passed @ 10 years ago) and her 93yo neighbor, Helen a retired teacher, was hard of hearing. Mom would always repeat herself which worked great for Helen. They were quite the pair.

Helen would make these snowmen out of marshmallows and toothpicks. One day she needed some whole cloves for the eyes and my wife stopped and picked up a box for her.

Helen asked 'How much do I owe you?' Wife said $3.

"Three dollars!!" Helen replied...! Wife said, don't worry about it....

I told my wife that when Helen was last 'shopping' for whole cloves (40 years ago) they were probably $0.40 for the box!

I just checked and they're now $5! I wonder if the box is lighter?

Wife was watching an old episode of The Andy Griffith Show and I caught a scene where Opie was negotiating a weekly allowance for doing chores. Andy was going to offer him 25 cents a week before deciding he deserved 27 cents a week for reasons. Opie joyously exclaimed, "That's a whole dollar more a year!" Hoo boy did that really date this show. Good job Federal Reserve. Good job indeed.
That's about $20 a year, now.

No biggie...but, would it not please you to find a $20 bill on the sidewalk?

Yeah, you're right. Good job, Fuddrel Preserve.

But then...that is what Central Banks DO. They are given control of fiat money, to debase, to distribute the seigniorage.

It's the stages of empire. The young nation grows; prospers; the Elites take hold and then start looting it. This is one of many ways.

The Framers tried to prevent that, by demanding that only Gold and Silver be used as money. Didn't work out...the Constitution is a great thing, but it only works when everyone is compelled to follow it.

I found info on the episode I mentioned in the OP:

It first aired on TV on Feb 18, 1963. ~60 years ago. According to:

$1 in 1963 = $10.03 in 2023.

Start @ ~4:40 to see the scene I was talking about:

That same Inflation Calculator is telling us that today's inflation rate is about 5 percent.

It's at LEAST FOUR TIMES that.

Know how to tell when a government official is lying?

You watch his lips.

Real carefully.

If they move, he lies.

I found info on the episode I mentioned in the OP:

It first aired on TV on Feb 18, 1963. ~60 years ago. According to:

$1 in 1963 = $10.03 in 2023.

Start @ ~4:40 to see the scene I was talking about:

Whole world of difference in the tv shows back then and the shows of today. In a way it's kinda sad.

I want another shot @ $1820 gold. Silver is not gold. When platinum finally moves the physical stuff will be unobtanium.

I want another shot @ $1820 gold. Silver is not gold. When platinum finally moves the physical stuff will be unobtanium.
Men in Hell want ice water, too.

We had $1820 gold when we had $5000 used cars. When we had $500/month rents.

Hell, when we had $600 used cars, and $40/hour was a BIG wage...say, 2002...we had $500/oz gold.

I want THAT, too. I got some at that price, but I want moar.

Ain't gonna happen. Not until the monetary reset, which the Globalists are working hard to ensure, is much, much worse.

Go back and watch Leave it to Beaver. Nearly every episode someone mentions the cost of an item or service.

Go back and watch Leave it to Beaver. Nearly every episode someone mentions the cost of an item or service.
The show was celebrating American values, one of which was thrift. Nobody could imagine that in eight years we'd go with fiat funny-money, and the show would turn out to be historical record of the rate of currency debasement.

Back
Top Bottom