accident nearly killed nephew

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
He is lucky to be alive. He was horse play- and a heavy marble fireplace mantel fell on him- an inch from his eye.

He required over 40 stitches.

Needless to say all the mental things now. The bozo who did not secure the mantel? The home where it was- that did not warn of the unsecured mantel? The parents who were both there. The kid himself who been told many times not to horse play?

One split second and everything changes.

The way if fell- he should not be alive.

Last edited:
A lot of us, on the male side, had 'miraculous' escapes as we grew up.

My best was a head on collision on a motorcycle.
When I first saw the approaching car we were both doing around 60mph and both on the ragged edge of what the road would allow.

I went in straight and upright into the exact centre of the cars front number plate and flew over the car to land in a giant bramble hedge having found a gap between the trees that grew out of the hedge with 4-6ft gaps.

I was just wearing jeans, trainers and T shirt, NO protection at all.

A little voice in my head said dont try and go round, go in straight and upright, so I did.

This wasnt the only strangely positive outcome for my stupidity, just the most astonishing to have survived with just a battered left hand and a broken toe ........

It allows me to reflect on the question of why we seem to be protected and watched over.

Penn

I have a nephew (about 18 then) that got all busted up about a year or so ago.

He broke his arm in two places and cracked vertabrae in his back. He fell from a third floor window of a house when the cops showed up.

Yeah, we all feel he is lucky too, it could have been much worse, he could have broken his back.

My sister- has too many people calling her to see if "everything is ok". In other words there are so many calls - the energy is taking from her family at this time of need.

For this reason- she did not mention the boy went in for surgery today. I am told it turned out well.

I did not ask what the surgery was- I probably would not understand it- at this point.

They were planning a trip in August. As bad as this was- I wonder if they are still going.

My sister- has too many people calling her to see if "everything is ok". In other words there are so many calls - the energy is taking from her family at this time of need.

This is where the lost art of card sending has landed us. People realize that perhaps an email or text is too impersonal so they go to the "old fashioned" phone call.

Last edited:
The intentions are good- but she is worn to a frazzle. If those close want to help - family could have taken 2 of the boys for a few days.

$hit happens.
50 of us rode for 20 years.
46 lost limbs, or another traumatic injury.
Almost always a BTK left leg amputation (that's where the car hits you when they run the stop sign).
I put a tourniquet on Lynn when a drunk driver crossed the stripe and amputated her leg; she eventually introduced me to my wife.
Save a life, get a wife. hehe

I think anyone with kids has a near death accident experience to relate. We've certainly had a few. One kid just broke his arm three weeks ago (and I've already gotten 25,000 worth of idiotic bills from the hospital.)

I wish your nephew the best.

Back
Top Bottom