Accounting for TARP and Bailouts

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

http://news.yahoo.com/taxpayers-still-owed-132-9b-bailout-report-051822679.html

ProPublica reports there is still a ~$320B deficit to be repaid (link in OP).

I forget where I saw this - ZH or Bberg - but someone did an FOIA on who was using the Fed window in the early days, and the results were quite a surprise. And no further comment on most. They revealed all this about 6 mos ago more or less (getting old, memory failing).

Some of the prime emergency loans went to outfits you'd not expect to need it to, as they claimed - make this week's payroll. Prominent were
Verizon
McDonalds
Harley Davidson

So, does the most rapacious, overcharging, duopoly telecom out there not actually make money? McDonalds? I could see Harley, but.

Are half the companies we think of as large-cap really doing the same as our government - just rolling debt forever, never paying back principle? While of course the golden parachutes and nifty bonuses abound?

It's funny how some seem to be doing much better PR management. IIRC, for example, Chrysler took all the same subsidies from the Gov for alternate energy, but they don't have a hybrid to offer - yet get none of the GM-hate out there.
While Ford didn't borrow outright - they did get some guarantees...just as good.

Where's all the hate for GE?

Any bad press on Verizon for not even being able to make payroll w/o bailing out?

Inquiring minds want to know! Is the ponzi actually bigger than even the skeptics realize?

I forget where I saw this - ZH or Bberg - but someone did an FOIA on who was using the Fed window in the early days, and the results were quite a surprise. ...

IIRC, it was mostly domestic branches of foreign banks.

Yes, the foreign banks were also prominent but more or less unmentioned in the news. ZH was all over that one in their usual tinfoil hat manner - stealth bailout of Yurp by us here. But I found it weird that little attention was given to the "bread and butter, salt of the earth" outfits that didn't have the excuse (supposedly) of financial engineering gone bad, high leverage and so on, and which actually produced stuff of value (unlike the banks).

In other words, those pointed to (and still do) weaknesses that have little to do with some jerk just using too much leverage on a bad bet, or selling CDS too cheap - real on the ground economic issues that had little to do with the fake boom/bust.

After all, the banks are just supposed to be the "lube", not the real economy, though for awhile there they kinda took a spot they never should have. These other emergency borrowers were supposed to be the real underlying strength of things that bankers merely exploit - if you've got trouble there, you've got real trouble, not just bits that don't add up as desired.

More: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...-abysmal-failure-barofsky-says-161743679.html

A lot of the stuff Barofsky has been revealing makes me think he should be watching his 6 very carefully.

You raise an interesting point DCF.

If the likes of Mc Donalds needed support to make payroll, then there is, or was, a deeper underlying problem.

Could the problem have been that their bank was unable to meet the payment and its future was in question at that moment ?

The Fed pumped out several $T around this time and its still not clear where it all went.
Just who is the ultimate bag holder for this sort of helicopter drop ?

Its waay beyond anything that 'taxpayers' could carry.

Barofsky likely doesn't care anymore. He's said whatever he's got to say in his book which is being released shortly. The most dangerous men in the world are the ones with nothing to lose (or who don't care).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…