ADHD nation

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
The number of millennial and Gen Z adults taking medication for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder soared during the pandemic, according to new research.

A study published Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assessed stimulant prescription trends over five years among adults and children who get health insurance through an employer.

It found that the percentage of American adults and children who filled at least one prescription for stimulants rose to 4.1% in 2021, up from 3.6% in 2016. Among certain demographics, the increase is even more pronounced: The percentage of women ages 15 to 44 and men ages 25 to 44 who filled a stimulant prescription jumped 10% over those five years.

“The current study adds to evidence that the increasing trend in the percentage of adults receiving prescriptions for stimulants has continued during the COVID-19 pandemic, with a notable upturn during 2020-2021,” the authors wrote. “The pandemic has had negative impacts on mental health, which might have led to or exacerbated ADHD symptoms.”

I wonder how much of this might be driven by social media addiction amongst folks who had too much idle time on their hands while quarantining or working from home.

Link to study:

Back in my day, society had a treatment for that and it didn't include the use of drugs. A sharp slap upside the head and a "settle your ass down" and the problem soon corrected itself. In extreme cases, a belt nearly always solved the problem.

I worked with a man that told me the teachers actually used a rope and tied him down to his desk to make him sit still

another person i know had a child like that and started giving him cannabis when he was 10 years yound

calmed his ass right down and he still smokes today , an adult of course

Back in my day, society had a treatment for that and it didn't include the use of drugs. A sharp slap upside the head and a "settle your ass down" and the problem soon corrected itself. In extreme cases, a belt nearly always solved the problem.
Well back in my day…oh shit SQUIRREL!!

…what were we talking about again?

This is mostly about adults, not children (although teenagers were included in the study).

This is mostly about adults, not children (although teenagers were included in the study).

The young adults they are writing about are a product of not getting slapped upside the head enough when they were still young and could learn things. We always wondered what would happen to the "every child gets a trophy" children. Now we are finding it out.

two adults that i worked with were taking dexedrine to treat their adult adhd

that blew my mind , speed to calm down natural speed freaks

Well back in my day…oh shit SQUIRREL!!

…what were we talking about again?
I was that kid!

It's caused by a high Alpha brain wave. Very creative people have high alpha brain waves.

It's like a motor is running in your brain. Folks regularly tune out background noise without thinking about it. If you're watching TV and the clothes dryer is going, or the dishwasher? You tune it out. For ADHD types it's that 'noise' in your head that never stops. You can't 'tune it out'.

I did biofeedback sessions with a gal as an adult and it calmed me down some.

In fact the next day after the first session she asked me

"Do you notice any difference?"

I said "Yeah, it's like... uh, it's like... um..."

She said "Like the motor is gone?"

"Yes! Exactly!"

You can tell who has high Alpha. They're the ones who are tapping on the table, shaking their foot constantly moving. "Wiggling" all the time. Creative types.

Most folks think "They're not paying attention!" when they see it, but the truth is it's just the opposite, they're using up all that excess energy so they CAN pay attention!

So, smacking them upside the head (poor parenting) doesn't do anything, but piss them off! They'll probably end up hating whomever did it and that lasts a lifetime.

Like whacking a dog? The dog knows who is trustworthy. I trust my dog!

Back
Top Bottom