Amusing Ourselves to Death

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
Was reading through another forum earlier and came across something that led me to this. I read it and started thinking about all the news and programing we get today. You have pro-democracy, pro strongman, doom and gloom, and all sorts of subjects to keep you amused. Just hit your remote and you can head to whatever fantasy land you desire.

TELEVISION AND THE PUBLIC DECLINE OF PUBLIC DISCOURSE
An Interview With Neil Postman

As the mediums for public discourse become more inclusive, it's only natural that the level of discourse drops to accommodate the lowest common denominators. It's the same dynamic that plays out in schools with class room sizes. Bigger classes = dumbed down / slower learning.

"Postman said that the contemporary world was better reflected by Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, whose public was oppressed by their addiction to amusement, rather than by Orwell's work, where they were oppressed by state violence."

While I agree with him that developed countries seem to fit his thesis more prevalently, I would argue that state violence and oppression are still practiced worldwide, particularly in several third-world countries. Furthermore, it is gaining traction in some of the more developed countries as well.

Back
Top Bottom