And when you thought it could not get worse, you can now be arrested for have an EMPTY compartment!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mmerlinn

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
When you thought it could not get worse, you can now be arrested for having an EMPTY compartment!

Civil libertarians are criticizing Ohio police for arresting a driver because his car contained a compartment that could theoretically store illegal drugs, though no drugs were found at that time.

“No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance,” the law states.

This is got to be the height of silliness. How in the world will the courts EVER prove anything WITHOUT physical evidence showing that the driver did BOTH knowingly operate, etc. such a vehicle AND did so with the knowledge that it was being operated illegally??? The ONLY purpose I see for this law is to expand confiscation of property WITHOUT due process of law.

30Dec2013: No drugs necessary: Driver arrested for having empty compartment.

So, how about we take this to the extreme and change the law to read:

“No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use any object with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or could be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance,”

Then arrest EVERY wife of every male JUDGE, LAWMAKER, POLICE OFFICER, etc for possessing a "hidden compartment" that could be used illegally! And don't forget to arrest EVERY female JUDGE, LAWMAKER, POLICE OFFICER, etc. while we are at it.

Edited to add this link:

29Dec2013: Woman intrusively probed for six hours by Border Patrol agents, receives $5,000 bill

And I will bet anything that the dogs jumped on her because she was at her time of the month, since dogs tend to do that. Of course the agents are too stupid to know that.

Last edited:
this fits right in with the new thought police law (you can be arrested for potential future crimes). You know, people ignore this shit because its so farfetched that they dismiss it as tin-foil, even as it is passed into law.

edited to add I'm not sure potential is the right word.

This sounds a bit ridiculous.

First, this leaves a lot up to the LEO. It does not say anything about an aftermarket (home made or otherwise) compartment, it just says hidden compartment. There are a ton of vehicles with "hidden" places all over them.

Second, it also says "that could be used...". Heck, that could be anything. I got an ashtray, sunglasses compartment, I can store things under the trunk mat in the car. All of those are relatively hidden compared to something sitting on the seat, and all could be used to facilitate illegal activity.

If they want to swab a compartment for drugs and find something, fine, be my guest and write a ticket. I tend to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt - most are good men and women, but this leaves a lot open to judgement, or a cop on a power-trip.

One more tool for abuse.

This sounds a bit ridiculous.

kinda like considering people with pressure cookers possible Boston bombers? Or people with tannerite possible terrorists? (I can only imagine the scenario where the terrorist has to be on the scene with a high powered rifle in order to detonate his bomb...)

Back
Top Bottom