Anyone here ever build an indoor pistol range?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JayDubya

Ground Beetle
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Anyone here ever build an indoor pistol range?

I'm looking at some properties, and several have outbuildings; some do not.

I'd like to convert an existing outbuilding, or for those properties that don't have one, build one from scratch.

Before anyone says, "Just build an outdoor range," I might not be able to go that route. State law says that in order to shoot on your property, you must own a minimum of 50 acres. Having said that, there are exceptions. One is that you may be able to build an indoor range. There are many other factors; "unrestricted" properties don't always mean 100% unrestricted. Some unincorporated areas allow it, and some don't. So....

I just started thinking about this, so I don't have any hard opinions formed yet.

I've seen land with old barns, old garages or workshops, and several with old pole barns. One has an existing two-car RV garage that would be incredible, but I don't think I can afford that particular property anyway.

I need to consider how to properly enclose a proper ballistic backstop/bullet trap, ballistic sidewalls, baffles, ventilation system (if necessary), how many lanes I want, target retrieval system (probably not, I can walk down there and switch out targets), and all sorts of other things I probably haven't even thought of yet.

I'll get down to all the details later. What I'm trying to nail down right now is a good, really good estimate of what a shell will cost.

It does me no good to know how much baffles and retrieval systems cost if I can't get the project off the ground to begin with.

Of course, you'd think converting an existing structure should cost less simply because there's a base on which to start the build. Then, I'd need to think about how to fortify the existing structure to ensure no rounds escape and build upon the thought process from there.

Maybe attempting to convert a structure is more of a PITA than I expect, and I'll end up having to build from scratch. If I go that route, I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of a metal-framed 20 x 50 quonset hut-style structure for the frame and then installing what I need step by step.

As I said, this whole idea is in its infancy, so excuse me if it appears as though I'm clueless; it might just be because, at this point, I am.

I just figured I'd check in with this group and see if anyone's ever taken on this kind of project before.

If so, what size did you build? How long did it take? What problems did you run into that you weren't expecting?

Anything y'all can think of, please spit it out. I'm all ears at this point.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I appreciate it.

The backstop is called a berm. That might help when researching berm construction regulations.

I would suggest searching and calling indoor ranges in nearby towns (but not ones that might be direct competitors to areas you are considering) and see if you can find an owner willing to share their experience or advice. Also, you might check if the NRA or other gun orgs have any programs to help with designing or operating a gun range.

Something else to research is regulations regarding handling and disposal of lead (bullets).

i have been involved in design and construction of a underground shooting tube for a gunsmith shop and a public indoor multirange facility ...both over 25yrs ago both would not really relate to a private home range ......but on those ranges the main regulatory issues was ventilation concerning both "smoke" and "airborne lead" and probably not applicable to home ranges .......but as mentioned above i think the shooting forums would be a great source of info

Back
Top Bottom