Are You Kinda Healthy and Over 30? Apply to Join NASA's Simulated Mars Mission

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Are You Kinda Healthy and Over 30? Apply to Join NASA's Simulated Mars Mission​

NASA is looking for volunteers willing to be trapped inside a simulated Martian environment that’s roughly the size of a two-bedroom apartment for a full year.

The space agency is now accepting applications for its second edition of CHAPEA (Crew Health and Performance Exploration Analog), which is scheduled to take place in spring 2025. The deadline for applications is April 2.

A four-person crew will live and work inside a 3D-printed, 1,700-square-foot habitat that loosely resembles the conditions on Mars as part of NASA’s efforts to prepare for human exploration of the Red Planet. The habitat, called the Mars Dune Alpha, is located at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. It has a kitchen, two bathrooms, private bedrooms, a work area, and a recreational area for socializing.

If you’re a healthy, motivated, non-smoking U.S. citizen or permanent resident between the ages of 30 and 55, then you might have what it takes. Participants also need to have a master’s degree in a STEM field and two years’ of professional STEM experience, or 1,000 hours piloting experience.

More:

Each CHAPEA mission involves a four-person volunteer crew living and working inside a 1,700-square-foot, 3D-printed habitat based at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. The habitat, called the Mars Dune Alpha, simulates the challenges of a mission on Mars, including resource limitations, equipment failures, communication delays, and other environmental stressors. Crew tasks include simulated spacewalks, robotic operations, habitat maintenance, exercise, and crop growth.

Sounds more interesting to me than those reality game shows where they vote people "off the island". If I were a few years younger and my wife could get along without me, I would apply (even though I don't have the Master's degree they are looking for).

Sounds more interesting to me than those reality game shows where they vote people "off the island"

We both experienced that. lol

All kidding aside, the program itself sounds like it would be one hell of an intensive experience. But could you imagine being one of the first humans from our time period to go to Mars?

I'd watch it if death and misery was part of the plot....

That's a large part of the human experience, but I would prefer to think that human ingenuity can stretch the bounds of our reach a bit farther with sufficient effort.

Back
Top Bottom