Artemis I Launch

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This launch pales in comparison to a Space X launch.

Like watching some kid in the backyard fire off his rocket with a parachute.

but they did paint it a 'sexy' orange...

NASA’s Orion Makes Closest Lunar Approach​

This handout from NASA TV shows NASA's Orion spacecraft approaching the moon on Monday, Nov. 21, 2022. (NASA via AP)

This handout from NASA TV shows NASA’s Orion spacecraft approaching the moon on Monday, Nov. 21, 2022. (NASA via AP)
OAN Newsroom

UPDATED 3:37 PM PT – Tuesday, November 22, 2022

NASA’s Orion made its closest lunar approach for the first time in 50-years as part of the Artemis 1 mission. The mission aims to return astronauts to the moon. No one has visited the lunar surface since 1972.

According to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration live broadcast, the spacecraft passed about 81-miles above the lunar surface on Monday. Orion will now be entering what is called distant retrograde orbit (DRO), which means it will provide the spacecraft with a stable route around the moon in the opposite direction from which the moon travels around earth. This orbit will not require the Orion to use as much fuel. NASA also confirmed that Orion is set to travel around 40,000 miles beyond the moon at its farther point while in that orbit.

The Artemis 1 mission manager, Michael Sarafin, said that this was a stress test for the capsule. However, its launch last week met and exceeded their expectations. According to NASA officials, the burn, which was created to assist Orion in entering an orbit around the moon, used the moon’s gravitational pull to help the spacecraft shift into an orbit. It will spend around six days in orbit.

The program manager of Orion, Howard Hu, spoke about the mission.

more:

81 miles above surface to get best Distant Retrograde Orbit...

I am staggered at the genius-level math involved. I have taken Vector Calculus, so I know what I don't know.

I know the math for this endeavor is beyond my comprehension. I see only a dim, but hugely esoteric inflection/expansion of my most technical reach.

Here's why I am in such awe:

Calculating mass attraction is High School math.

Vector Calculus is meh College math. But these guys are not calculating their velocities, directions, distances, etc. from some static Quiz question. The fargin mass changes asymmetrically in the middle of the calculations. That is beyond my pay grade.

Last edited:
81 miles above surface to get best Distant Retrograde Orbit...

I am staggered at the genius-level math involved. I have taken Vector Calculus, so I know what I don't know.

I know the math for this endeavor is beyond my comprehension. I see only a dim, but hugely esoteric inflection/expansion of my most technical reach.

Here's why I am in such awe:

Calculating mass attraction is High School math.

Vector Calculus is meh College math. But these guys are not calculating their velocities, directions, distances, etc. from some static Quiz question. The fargin mass changes asymmetrically in the middle of the calculations. That is beyond my pay grade.
I gave up on New Math. It has not hurt me. I grew up in grocery stores where short change artists would try to hit you especially on busy Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and day before holidays.
That was practical math skills back then.

That definitely complicates things.

I was impressed that this guy not only filmed the launch, but also stuck around for the next orbit so he could observe it and calculate the orbit around Earth.

That definitely complicates things.
I was impressed that this guy not only filmed the launch, but also stuck around for the next orbit so he could observe it and calculate the orbit around Earth.
MEDIA=youtube]0MDBAv-JvmE[/MEDIA]
Anotha foo' that thinks there is a real space program. All fake pics, and done in sekrit in Las Vegas. 🙃 🧙‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom