Bacon

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jay

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
last Sunday, when we went to the asian store in Austin, I got five pounds of pork belly. Cured it in kosher salt, pepper, and real maple syrup for a week. Cooked some of it this morning, SOOO much better than store bought bacon....

didn't use curing salt (potassium nitrate) so its not so pink... read a bunch of stuff about curing home bacon; may use salt next time (botulism). Bing wasn't alarmed (your just cooking meat thats been under refrigeration a week).

WOW!

So how to you get a smoky flavor to it?

Would a cold smoker work?

It's pork so perhaps that is dangerous.

Maybe just a few hours in a warm smoker then refrigerate?

Perhaps I need to do some googling hehe.

Gratz bro!

Looks really tasty. I am craving a BLT now! Thanks!

-Q

WOW!

So how to you get a smoky flavor to it?

Would a cold smoker work?

It's pork so perhaps that is dangerous.

Maybe just a few hours in a warm smoker then refrigerate?

Perhaps I need to do some googling hehe.

Gratz bro!

Looks really tasty. I am craving a BLT now! Thanks!

-Q

spent literally hours reading about how to smoke/cure your own bacon. Many, many, many articles about curing/smoking etc and no mention of botulism or potassium nitrites. Then all of a sudden I hit a bunch of articles about how dangerous it is to smoke the bacon without a preservative etc etc. My wife (Bing) just laughed that off and said she/asia has been using salt to cure meat/fish for thousands of years and its just refrigerated meat anyway. So what if I called it a pork roast instead of a pork belly? Then I wouldn't mind it being refrigerated for a week. The end result was I opted to used the oven method (200 degrees for two hours) rather than smoke it in a smoker. After that you take the skin off and refrigerate overnight for easy slicing. (skin pulls right off). I slathered it with maple syrup (real stuff, not colored HFCS that the grocery store calls syrup) two days prior. I am more than satisfied with the results, with the exception that next time I will soak in cold water for a half day prior to slicing/cooking to take out more salt. To me, it was slightly salty, but no one else seemed to mind.

Back
Top Bottom