Best coins to buy?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Maxibillion

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Most of my coins are Chinese panda bears. They tend to increase in value by the year. I bought 1oz silver panda bears last year when silver was at $20 and got them for about $26. Now if you want to go purchase Chinese panda bears from 2015 it'll cost you about $37 and the price of silver is still around $20. The older the coin, the higher the value, even if its only 5 years old or so.
I also have 10 1996 panda bears that are worth over $100!

What's your guys input?

Silver is silver. I don't pay numismatic premiums.

When I was starting to take more of an interest in PM's I wasted a lot of money buying rounds/bars that I liked just cause they were stamped with something cool. I now try to buy equal amounts of generic rounds/bars, Govt. rounds/bars and junk silver. I know a lot of people who will only buy 1 of those cause they feel that paying any extra premium over the cheapest silver is a waste, they may be right. I know people that feel if TSHTF and they need to use silver a lot of people won't want to accept non govt. issue silver, and others feel the same way about junk silver. Problem I see is so many people are clueless not just about junk silver but ALL silver and PM's in general. They probably understand that gold is valuable, but would have no clue how much the current value of gold is, or what an ozt is or how big a full ozt gold coin is. I still do on occasion indulge my desire for a few of the "cool" rounds/bars, but that is now very much the exception and not the norm. I often buy those as gifts as well for people I know are showing an interest in PM's.

Most of my coins are Chinese panda bears. They tend to increase in value by the year. I bought 1oz silver panda bears last year when silver was at $20 and got them for about $26. Now if you want to go purchase Chinese panda bears from 2015 it'll cost you about $37 and the price of silver is still around $20. The older the coin, the higher the value, even if its only 5 years old or so.
I also have 10 1996 panda bears that are worth over $100!

What's your guys input?

I essentially follow 11C1P's agenda as I have walked similar path.
I do purchase coins like Pandas for enjoyment, with intent to finance future Pandas.
One of your '96 Pandas would after 10-15% sales cost, gain you 5+oz's of generic silver or 3.5-4 new 2017 Pandas.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, if one pursues gain.
Value gain in '96 pandas will not keep pace with '17 Pandas over the next 5 years.
Yes a gain, not as rapid, with more to lose if weight becomes only measure of value.
"Collecting" new coins is a commodity derivative, with similar risk and gain potential.
Kooks, Lunar, Elephant, Pandas, all have social popularity and limited purchasing.
Eagles, Maples, Kangaroos, Brits, all bullion or marked special thus over specialized with millions upon millions of cousins.
Libertads are funky in market and premium olympics.
NZ turtle is obscure and unchanging.

Always there are exceptions.
We are in a bullion and coin flooded market.
Designs and denominations, mints and mintage amounts abound.
Parallel to baseball card run of the 90's.
Sell for weight gain or be ready to now... all that are so special and only known amongst collectors. ex: CDN Maple Leafs with privy marks like ying/yang, saskwatch, Einstien etc. Any Eagle in plastic, or first strike anybody for that matter. There are millions of them. US, AUS, and CDN mints strike MS69-70's all day every day.

I enjoy spending a little extra on flora and fauna as gifts to friends and family, who still look at metals as HHhhhhmmmmm?
The younglings have sincerity in the looks and shall appreciate later, maybe.

Panda note; best buy considering China has massive global non-military leverage in the form of manufacturing and rhyme of history.

Back
Top Bottom