Best response to liberalism!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://cfif.org/v/index.php/comment...e-states-prosper-while-liberal-states-decline

"No matter how you slice the numbers, the outcome is always the same: states that embrace conservative policies – low taxes, restrained regulation, free labor markets, a friendly business environment – consistently outperform states where big government carries the day."

I need to get a bunch of copies of this report and hand them out at democrat conventions! :rotflmbo:

but it doesn't matter, reason doesn't matter for people in general today, until the reason hits them hard right into their faces.

Unfortunately, Texas is seeing a large influx of immigrants from California and other "liberal utopias".

Unforunate for fiscally conservative, small government favoring Texans. Our voting strength is being diluted.

Complete agreement, PMB. I see Texas turning into the next California, and I don't think there is anything we can do to stop it. Dallas, Houston, and Austin are all in the top 5 fastest growing major cities in the country.

I can't find it now, but there is a website somewhere out that shows migration trends pictorially. Massive migration out of crazy Cali, statist midwest, and nutty New England to Texas and the southern states.

I'm thinking Big Sky country and the rockies might be the place to be in the future, minus CO since it is already being overtaken by Californians. Utah has a large CA influx, but the culture there might be able to hold some of the change off for a bit. Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas might be good, but it is bitterly cold in the winter; sounds like tough gardening and lots of fuel for heat.

What worries me most is that most folks, be they "conservative" or "liberal" (useless names, but that is another thread), are statists in the end. Most of them are perfectly happy to use the force of government in other people's lives if it suits their preferences.

We need to buy an island...

I spent quite some time in a town south of Houston in ,08 while working at Johnson Space Center, and I can tell you that the atmosphere is quite refreshing as long as you are not in a latino area. There is no sense of automatic entitlement and people are very open and helpful. I was amazed at the attitudes of folks in service type industries, as they are far friendlier than they are here in Florida. In my state, there seems to be an overarching anger within the population which while ill defined, is still evident. I feel it at the store when grocery shopping, at the mechanics when having repairs done.....everywhere.

Are you frustrated at the loss of freedom and responsibility in America, while the growth of government and taxes continues unabated? Do you want to live in strong communities where your rights are respected, and people exercise responsibility for themselves and in their dealings with each other?

If you answered "yes" to those questions, then the Free State Project has a solution for you.

Free State Project:

http://freestateproject.org/

im late, as always...but its all about the classical liberalism. not this new fangled liberalism stuff.

oh...and im down for an island and our own society.

This was a long time ago (late '70s) but back then, I went down to the less visited Bahamas, Eleuthra, Harbor Island. There were plenty for sale there, and I was frankly stunned how cheap - say a couple miles on a side (or 100 yards by 5 miles), 35-50k - while at the time, my cul de sac 4 bed house under Dulles airport was assessed at 150k. No law to speak of on the inhabited ones -- really nice and the people there were pretty super, actually. They were the ones smart enough to get off the boat and refuse to be slaves here - they were quite eye-opening compared to our local crowd of blacks, to say the least (way on the other side of the IQ, and self discipline curves, zero entitlement mentality)- and I got to be the token white guy in that crowd, which was pretty cool and more fun than I care to mention in public.

One of the main things that fascinated me was how the Baptists and Rastafarians found ways to get along - (I of course, was doing spliffs with the latter). There were words when the Rastas decided to sit on the stone fence in front of the church to get high - but very mild - obviously all in fun, purely. Something about these were really your neighbors you couldn't escape from no matter what - seemed to make them find ways to live and let live, again with practically zero government (one cop, part time, shared with other islands, no government buildings at all).

Then, it was crazy to think of that - you'd have to have a deepwater dock to have the fuel shipped in to get power - or trans ship from another island at ever greater expense. Now, not so stupid - solar, and done. No coca cola, which along with guitar strings, were very highly marked up over mainland prices. Say 5 bucks for a coke, and 50 for a set of strings (remember, salt air - strings died right away). And they were so starved for "real" music - VOA wasn't so hot back then, so my sis sold her entire collection of CD's of punk etc for a good premium to very grateful people, and they were also very happy to have me sit in with the bar bands and play *anything at all* just to hear something new (even if not terribly good). Now that there is satellite internet, no need for gasoline...hmmm, this might not be so stupid an idea. We could even have a pretty decent DOD, my collection alone....and taxes? What taxes?

The people living there were largely self sufficient, just using a little tourism to roll into some bucks to buy a few imports as mentioned, but did handle their own food easily - plant seed, stand back. They raked the beaches to get seaweed, let it sit in racks in the rains to de salinate it, then used it for compost, and had the best gardens I've ever seen - continuous nice temps when you're never more than half a mile from the ocean and in the gulf stream. We could just hold investing seminars or something to get some ready cash...I'd bet we could get Kyle to come and visit...

Wonder what it's like there now?

Last edited:
DC, that sounds pretty awesome.....except for the dulles airport thing...ugh. when i moved to PA from HI, we couldnt land at Reagan due to winds and had to land at Dulles....huge pain in the arse.

Back
Top Bottom