Bulk Food Sale

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Benjamen, Thanks for the link. If folks are interested in buying up some bulk food for their preps, your local LDS cannery will often sell bulk food at a very modest mark-up, and it is normally very high quality stuff.

LDS delivers free also, I've had great experiences with them, been ordering for awhile. Also got my grain mill 50 dollars cheaper than the other guys. (same mill).

(I think provident provisions is LDS) I've also been to their local kings pantry.

http://www.providentprovisions.net/All-Food-Storage-Products-s/163.htm

also had good to say about emergency essentials

http://beprepared.com/default.asp?s...dium=cpc&utm_campaign=mEmergency+Preparedness

and

Pleasant Hill Grain:
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bu...d_white_wheat_berries_making_bread_flour.aspx

Benjamen, Thanks for the link. If folks are interested in buying up some bulk food for their preps, your local LDS cannery will often sell bulk food at a very modest mark-up, and it is normally very high quality stuff.

they also will loan you a #10 canning machine free, and they sell O2 absorbers so you can can long term.

like that, can can?

LDS is Latter Day Saints (think Mittens)

I've had ayoob bookmarked for five plus years in my bookmark folder for survival supplies. Thats a HUGE site; never ordered anything (yet).

Am I overlooking something important or is Pleasant Hill Grain over priced compared to the Aaoob site and Emergency Essentials, for single, 6 gallon pails of grain. I know shipping is already being factored into the cost for Pleasant Hill, but for example,
Emergency Essentials is supposedly very close to $1.00 a pound, Shipped, currently back ordered.

The food packs:

Emergency Essentials has a 1 year Grain/Legume pack 400 lbs @ $450 (currently on sale, back order) normally $650. Shipping is super cheap, and the most they charge is $12.00. Really, I called them, spoke with someone, and even if you ordered 2000lbs of food, the shipping is going to be $12.00 for it.

Aaoob is close to $1.00 a pound, before shipping. 2100 lbs food, @ $2012, before shipping. I called, they didn't want give me shipping prices over the phone with out what I consider personal information like MY NAME and ADDRESS and EMAIL... So after countering their questions with more questions, and some more digging on their site, I estimate that unless you choose freight delivery with them, you'll end up spending several hundred dollars on shipping with them.

And Pleasant Hill is closer to $2.00/lbs shipped. Food pack 1 is 800lbs, +shipping @ roughly $270 for 800 lbs = $1572 for 800 lbs shipped to zone 1.

To me, if you want to get weight, Emergency Essentials looks to be who I'd use. I don't know if the "EE" grains are packaged to last as long or are less prepared(cleaned). They clearly state that they use metalized plastic (mylar?) bag with an O2 absorber. Some help here would be great. I don't have any experience with Mylar and O2 absorber potential longevity. Also, how clean is it going in? The Pleasant Hill site made a big effort to point out that they 'triple clean' their grain where as Emergency Essentials hasn't made much ado about it at all.

If you have nosy neighbors, you might want to address the advertising that "EE" does on the side of every bucket or everyone will know what you're getting. Read some customer reviews that this was annoying. Personally I would also need to adhere to some OPSEC in this as well. Neighbors can easily see what we have delivered.

I couldn't figure out who was the better deal so I wanted to post what I figured out. Feel free to point out anything I missed & over looked.

I've ordered stuff from all three. EE is slow and almost always on backorder, but half the price of Pleasant Grain and LDS. The one shipment I got from EE was 6 gallon buckets stamped EE on the side, packed in unmarked cardboard boxes. Pleasant Grain waited a month after they cashed my check to ship, just got an email yesterday my order is on its way. I like LDS (or Provident Provisions, I think they are the same), they wait a month or more to cash my check AFTER I receive my order, which is at my house usually about three days after I order. I think perhaps their bookkeeper only works parttime, like the king pantry stores. A friend and myself pulled a trailer to the nearest LDS store and bought several tons worth of product and also borrowed their canning machine and bought fifty cases of cans. They were very pleasant, except for the proselytizing part. We haven't ever tried the year supply thing, we just buy here and there, whatever looks good at the time. Have learned a lot about rotation, not buying what you don't eat (25 pound sacks of powdered milk) etc. Because my wife is filipina (and a pack rat) and I work for a grocery chain, from time to time she acquires cases of soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. Likewise, because we eat 25 pounds of rice a month, we have a pretty substantial rice stash. (Jasmin rice, we're prudes). Over the years I have tried to acquire hand tools, (always pickup stuff like this whenever I go to garage sales) lamps, lamp oil, cast iron cookware, extra clothes, hand gloves, chainsaw blades, bars, antibiotics, med. supplies, means by which to protect all this, etc. It's become more of a lifestyle now, when my wife or I buy something we try to figure out if we'll need it in the future, etc.

To me, if you want to get weight, Emergency Essentials looks to be who I'd use. I don't know if the "EE" grains are packaged to last as long or are less prepared(cleaned). They clearly state that they use metalized plastic (mylar?) bag with an O2 absorber. Some help here would be great. I don't have any experience with Mylar and O2 absorber potential longevity. Also, how clean is it going in? The Pleasant Hill site made a big effort to point out that they 'triple clean' their grain where as Emergency Essentials hasn't made much ado about it at all.

I have only ever ordered empty buckets and supplies from EE, not grains/legumes, but I would expect they are packing in sealed mylar bags. I personally don't care much about "triple clean" - I wash my food before cooking anyway. What is important for long term storage is the amount of moisture in the package.

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f6/long-term-food-storage-8/

with regards to the grain being "clean", a friend brought us 100 pounds of wheat berries, which I ground. There was a little chaf in them, no big deal. We ate it, no one got sick.

I have only ever ordered empty buckets and supplies from EE, not grains/legumes, but I would expect they are packing in sealed mylar bags. I personally don't care much about "triple clean" - I wash my food before cooking anyway. What is important for long term storage is the amount of moisture in the package.

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f6/long-term-food-storage-8/

PMBug, if you live near a grocery store, go to their deli department and ask them if you can have their food grade 6 gallon buckets. The grocery where I work throws away five or six a day, perhaps once a week I take one home. I have literally hundreds. We uses them to store food, dog food, fertilizer, charcoal, catch water, etc.

Pleasant Hill Grain:

001_zpsf4b413e8.jpg

I wonder which conveyor system those boxes rode on, the shipping company's or Pleasant Hill's? Anyway, I'd check your lid's seal with all that bumping and bouncing that is evidenced on the boxes. I work with conveyor systems every day, plenty of stuff gets shaken loose or busted open on them.

Here is one of the buckets, collapsed during packing, presumably. I THINK I remember reading something on one of the websites that the buckets micht collapse from the suction, don't remember which one. The other bucket was intact. (This one is also, just deformed).

001_zpsbe8a6b63.jpg

I've ordered a lot of stuff from Provident Provisions. They deliver UPS, I believe. UPS smashes the crap out of stuff. One time they slammed a box of six number ten cans of orange drink on the concrete by my front door and the cans exploded (in the cardboard box), there was powder everywhere when I came home. I couldn't figure out what it was until I opened the box (it actually sprayed out the split sides of the box).... it was summertime so the kids mixed it up and drank it that summer, they really liked it actually...

Last edited:
Here is one of the buckets, collapsed during packing, presumably. I THINK I remember reading something on one of the websites that the buckets micht collapse from the suction, don't remember which one. The other bucket was intact. (This one is also, just deformed).

ayoob has it on their site where they explain the differences in their two different packaging methods.

"Packed without oxygen (as in our Super Pails (SP) which have the foods packed in thick Mylar Bags, 4mil thick, with oxygen absorbers added. The lined, absorbed foods are placed in a food grade plastic, FDA approved 6 gallon bucket with a Gasket Lid, hammered in place forming a secondary airtight seal). All Buckets RB and SP have a handle for lifting the buckets. Regular Buckets (RB) are foods packed in a food grade 6 gallon bucket with oxygen absorbers added and a gasket lid forming an airtight seal is hammered into place, #10 cans, #2.5 cans, Mylar Bags, with an airtight seal, Cooler 70 degrees F. or , dry and dark – out of direct sunlight. (RB is not recommended for long-term storage, because of possible loss of bucket integrity due to pliability of buckets, denting and cracking; thus exposing the foods to oxygen prematurely. If the bucket integrity holds, then the foods would be preserved for a longer period of time.) We recommend RB storage, if you are looking for a 3-5 year shelf life, but do not guarantee the integrity of the buckets longer than a few years....." - http://www.aaoobfoods.com/inanutshell.htm#top

This was the portion i was referring to. After re-reading what you wrote, and what they wrote, it kind of fits what you were saying, but not to a "t"

"Packed without oxygen (as in our Super Pails (SP) which have the foods packed in thick Mylar Bags, 4mil thick, with oxygen absorbers added. The lined, absorbed foods are placed in a food grade plastic, FDA approved 6 gallon bucket with a Gasket Lid, hammered in place forming a secondary airtight seal). All Buckets RB and SP have a handle for lifting the buckets. Regular Buckets (RB) are foods packed in a food grade 6 gallon bucket with oxygen absorbers added and a gasket lid forming an airtight seal is hammered into place, #10 cans, #2.5 cans, Mylar Bags, with an airtight seal, Cooler 70 degrees F. or , dry and dark – out of direct sunlight. (RB is not recommended for long-term storage, because of possible loss of bucket integrity due to pliability of buckets, denting and cracking; thus exposing the foods to oxygen prematurely. If the bucket integrity holds, then the foods would be preserved for a longer period of time.) We recommend RB storage, if you are looking for a 3-5 year shelf life, but do not guarantee the integrity of the buckets longer than a few years....." - http://www.aaoobfoods.com/inanutshell.htm#top

This was the portion i was referring to. After re-reading what you wrote, and what they wrote, it kind of fits what you were saying, but not to a "t"

The buckets I bought were "SP" , not "RP" but I want to make perfectly clear that I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest about it, just curious what I read. I'm not worried about one bucket, we have most certainly lost more by failure to rotate in the beginning (actually I'm not sure it's a loss, as Bing packs all the out of date stuff and sends it to the Philippines). When queried she says they don't care. :(

ps don't buy powdered milk if you don't drink milk in the first place, unless perhaps its packed to last....

A truly weird cult that uses any means possible to get you on their mailing list. That's why I never buy from them.

a good friend and his filipina wife are Mormons; they most certainly are ready for collapse. He sends me some of the weirdest emails you can imagine. However, except at the LDS store, I've not had a problem with their proselytizing.

With regard to the Jehovah's witnesses that come here frequently, I just tell them I don't want to talk to them. period. They're always polite. I usually send them down to the Republic of Texas house (they are jewish and made it perfectly clear to me that I am goyim and lower than a dog; put here on the earth only for their use financially). :rotflmbo:

another question i have is, If you are packaging your food in mylar bags inside of a plastic bucket, how important is it that the plastic bucket be "food grade" if the food never comes into contact with the bucket? I ask, because Lowes has 5 gallon buckets for like...2.50 each, and from what i see for "food grade" buckets, they range from 5 to 16 bucks each.

another question i have is, If you are packaging your food in mylar bags inside of a plastic bucket, how important is it that the plastic bucket be "food grade" if the food never comes into contact with the bucket? I ask, because Lowes has 5 gallon buckets for like...2.50 each, and from what i see for "food grade" buckets, they range from 5 to 16 bucks each.

I can't answer that for you, but you might try going to your local grocery store and ask at the bakery if you can have some of their icing/pickle buckets. The store I work for throws away about 8-10 (6 gallon buckets) a day. they give them away freely, although no one asks except me.

we dont have any mom and pop grocery's with a bakery. would walmart and other stores like that give away their used buckets from their bakery?

we dont have any mom and pop grocery's with a bakery. would walmart and other stores like that give away their used buckets from their bakery?

Yes, I work for HEB (Here Everyone's Bigger), a major chain. They just throw them away.

if you want to process your foods yourself, bulkfoods.com is a good one. i just bought from them. Its only $5 shipping for orders over $75.

Jay, my local WM had buckets they sold us for $1 each with lids. they are square buckets....thought it was a bit weird, but whatever, a bucket is a bucket. Everything is going to be sealed in mylar bags anyways.

Back
Top Bottom