Bunker lyfe!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Winter storm has paralyzed Texas. I don't know how other states are managing right now, but they are more or less used to dealing with these kinds of conditions. Texas... not so much.

The extreme cold has frozen pipes all over the state. Not just in residential properties (houses, apartments, condos), but even municipal pumping stations. Ton of people are dealing with burst pipes and water damage in their homes. Many folks who avoided burst pipes don't have any running water because the city pumps aren't working. Just about every municipality that is pumping water right now has issued a boil water notice. The water isn't safe. Great stuff for the c19 age.

In conjunction with water issues, tons of people are without power. Texas lost some power generation capability with wind turbines freezing up and pipes frrezing/bursting at inadequately prepared power plants. The grid got overwhelmed by demand. Some areas of the state lost power completely. Some areas are experiencing rolling blackouts. A lot of people are suffering with near freezing temps inside their homes.

This is all happening while roadways (and especially bridges) are iced over and too dangerous to traverse. Central/Southern Texas isn't used to dealing with iced roads. Neither the citizens nor the public works peeps. One local municipality says they ran out of sand/salt to clear the roads.

Last night we got a break from sub freezing temps, but starting tonight we get another round lasting a few more days. It will like be a week or so before the full scope of deaths from this storm become known.

I've been relatively lucky. We have running water, power and nat gas. We did lose internet access though. Our ISP must have lost the local substation. I can only access the net via my cell phone (4g cellular network).

Luckily I'm well stocked with sanitizers, paper plates and such to manage a week or so without potable water to wash/clean.

You have gone from that crazy prepper guy down the street to the smartest guy in the neighborhood.

My brother lives somewhere near Del Rio and doesnt seem to be struggling too much.
I suggestred burning dollar bills might be the way and in a roundabout way it looks like some of the electricity and gas bills coming will confirm this.

He sent me a dash cam video of the most horrendous pile up happening on the other side of the central barrier as lorries piled full tilt into the carnage, not realising that the road was covered in ice. Clearly not something Texas drivers would be mindful of.

And the frost damage to homes caused by burst pipes can be massively disruptive. The problem only becoming apparent as everything warms up and the house having been abandoned already due to the cold. The stopcock can freeze so you cant even turn the supply off.
Electrical circuits get water in them and ceilings get pulled down. It can be months before a property is available for use.

So coldest ever and all they can talk about is carbon doixide .............

I don't think it's really possible to ever be *too* prepared. Not having potable water to wash cookware seems to be the biggest issue that I had not considered with my prepping.

Hope your brother makes out ok rb2u. I read that some news station was reporting on an 11 year old that died from hypothermia. My local news had several reports of old people dying around town. I'm sure more reports will be coming as things thaw out and people start checking on things in person.

I have a brother that lives in a nearby town and he lost power and had pipes burst in his house. He's got power back now, but a hell of a mess to clean up, mold remediation to do and then repair work (in coordination with his insurance company). The thing is, so many people are experiencing the same thing right now that hardware stores are completely sold out of materials. Want plumbing supplies? lol. Maybe order from amazon.com

I have another brother that lives around Austin and he lost power and was completely iced in (couldn't drive out of the neighborhood). He was keeping warm and charging his phone with his car.

Weather reports say tonight will be the last night of sub freezing temps and tomorrow day time should get back into the 70s (Fahrenheit). Spring time weather shall return.

Boil water notice was lifted yesterday. Spring time temps have returned. Looks like we are clear to start planting our veggie gardens now.

Back
Top Bottom