Busy busy busy

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I've been missing from the board for a while... but I'm back here and there to read and catch up.

We've been working on getting our house ready to sell and finally put it on the market this week. In the meantime, we've been looking at options for places to move to (which we have only one good option at this point), so it's been a little hectic lately.

Plus, I've got two 8-month old kids!

I can't wait until deals are done, etc., and things can calm down a bit!

I'll still be buying some metal in the meantime!

Take care,

ADK

You might have more options on a place to live than you think. There's plenty of good real estate around here going cheap - and a great bugout location, as well as a good place to raise kids...

Twins eh? At 8 months old, they just started sleeping through the night recently I'm guessing? You've got a lot on your plate!

Good luck on the house deal ADK. We have toyed with the idea, but I find it hard to conceive moving from this place since we're only about 20 months from paying the damn thing off.

Twins?!?! Wow! I only have one and she was in fifth gear right out of the gate! I couldn't imagine having twins.

I've been missing from the board for a while... but I'm back here and there to read and catch up.

We've been working on getting our house ready to sell and finally put it on the market this week. In the meantime, we've been looking at options for places to move to (which we have only one good option at this point), so it's been a little hectic lately.

Plus, I've got two 8-month old kids!

I can't wait until deals are done, etc., and things can calm down a bit!

I'll still be buying some metal in the meantime!

Take care,

ADK

Good luck with that! I have been trying to fend off the wife who wants to start having children. Having children would also require a housing change, so I will probably be in your shoes a couple of years.

Good luck with that! I have been trying to fend off the wife who wants to start having children. Having children would also require a housing change, so I will probably be in your shoes a couple of years.

That's exactly what is precipitating this move --- we just need more space. The kids are starting to run around in their walker things, etc.

Well, more space would be *nice* - I always claim that I could live in a canvas wall tent in the woods, but when you factor in the kids and my wife, it's not happening. Did I mention my wife? ;)

Ancona: I have one of each... a boy and a girl. The girl is in fifth gear from the start. My son is easy going, in general, but man - try and take away a toy and you had better plug your ears!

I'd like to move into the country, but there aren't a lot of decent country properties for sale around here. My wife wants to be in the city (if you could call it that) --- we live in a really small Upstate NY town.

The kicker with selling your house, Ancona, is that you incur say 6% fees to the realtor, closing costs, taxes, etc., etc., etc. It adds up to some bucks.

I think that the place we have in mind is going to give me a good opportunity to build a new shop, though. I like that.

I *have* convinced my wife that we need a camp, though. Some land, a stream, a cabin = hunting camp / bug out area / man cave number 5.

:)

I know a great place in the Shenandoah Valley in VA if you guys want out of NY!

Twins eh? At 8 months old, they just started sleeping through the night recently I'm guessing? You've got a lot on your plate!

We went through about four months of no sleep... feeding two kids twice throughout each night. Then, it settled down and they both slept through the night. It was like a vacation.

Now, they are teething and "sleep regressing" --- so they wake up once or twice a night unless we feed them really well before bed and all of the planets align. ;)

ADK

Welcome back ADK. Hope things start to calm down a bit for you with the selling of the house and the kiddos and everything else.

There are a few of us here on this forum in a similar boat as you, wanting to move more rural but still working on convincing the family unit. For us in particular, I think in the end it will be some sort of compromise where we each get the best of both worlds: far out enough to be away from the hub-bub, but close enough to go into town without too much hassle.

I am on the other side of the kid spectrum. Our oldest is going off to college later on this month. Wish I would have saved up more for this many years ago!

Welcome back, buddy! I've missed you being around.

I just got back from a trip to your neck of the woods.....actually no too close. My oldest just graduated from law school and wanted to go to NYC, so we have been visiting the big city for the past week. Don't think I'll ever go back!

All of young guys make me feel old.....my youngest is 21!

Unobtanium: Ooof, college! I'm still paying those bills, myself! It's like having an invisible house / mortgage. Paying one of the loans off within the next month. I've still got one or two big ones to go.

I at least have my parents who have a good chunk of rural land that they let me use however I want. We have projects together, etc. We do maple syrup, I grow hops, garden, etc., on the land. We even have an apple orchard which is very old --- easily over 100 years old and still producing apples --- I bought an antique wine / apple press this year, so hopefully I'll have a little cider to show for it.

I guess that will work until I buy a little piece of land near the ADK park as a camp.

Side note: As a thought, it would be best to have your cash hidden in PMs before sending kids to college if you are looking for aid... I'll have to work on that when my kids get to that age! Well, I guess I am working on that!

HCA! It's been a while!

I haven't made it up into the ADKs yet this summer with all of the "goings on" --- but I think that I am making a trip up next weekend for a BBQ. I think that I might make a trip out to Oswego for the salmon run this fall... hopefully!

I figure that you like Pink Floyd from your avatar. I'm currently sitting in my living room watching an Allman Brothers concert on MSG (you know, kinda similar era as Floyd --- I'm a Floyd fan, myself), finishing up a Saranac Session IPA. Tasty tasty. It's a very good evening so far. Man-oh-man. Well deserved.

----------

I have one or two issues with my house that need to be fixed and it looks like I chose the hottest day of the year tomorrow to replace a back porch roof that's leaking and all molded up. It's never been too important for me to fix, but I guess since people are looking at the house, I need to take care of it.

It's been rough getting friends to help out this year... everyone has their own thing going on. But, I'm a "head-down-plow-through" personality. I don't care if I have to work into the dark and haul plywood onto the roof all by myself - it will get done. :)

I'm sure I'll stop by PMBug and see what's up at some point tomorrow.

Take care all!

ADK

Last edited:
PS - I haven't been to NYC in about 20 years... I *might* go back at some point, but it's very possible that I never will. Limited interest in it! I find that most unique things that I want can be ordered and delivered to my door... But, I do like to get immersed in some things, too.

In general, big cities --- bah!

I do, however, have a photo of myself on the roof of one of the WTC, which I am glad to have.

ADK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom