Calhoun v Google - Chrome browser tracking history

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
... EPIC filed an amicus brief urging the Ninth Circuit to reverse a lower court ruling that Google was not liable for tracking Chrome users’ browsing data. EPIC argued that Google’s general terms of service disclaimers cannot override specific privacy promises made to Chrome users. Google contends that even when it explicitly promised its Chrome users heightened privacy protections, it doesn’t have to abide by those promises so long as it points to contrary terms in its general user agreement. At its core, this case is about what happens when a company claims to offer its users new privacy-protective settings, but then breaks those promises by continuing to invade user privacy. This case, which highlights Google’s misleading and extractive data practices, underscores why the law does—and should—require actual, meaningful consent. The Ninth Circuit should not enable Google, or any other company with similar practices, to continue disclaiming specific promises to limit data collection through conflicting disclosures in a general Privacy Policy.

ah I see... some context!

Clicking on the second link:

Yesterday, EPIC filed an amicus brief urging the Ninth Circuit to reverse a lower court ruling that Google was not liable for tracking Chrome users’ browsing data. EPIC argued that Google’s general terms of service disclaimers cannot override specific privacy promises made to Chrome users. Google contends that even when it explicitly promised its Chrome users heightened privacy protections, it doesn’t have to abide by those promises so long as it points to contrary terms in its general user agreement. At its core, this case is about what happens when a company claims to offer its users new privacy-protective settings, but then breaks those promises by continuing to invade user privacy. This case, which highlights Google’s misleading and extractive data practices, underscores why the law does—and should—require actual, meaningful consent. The Ninth Circuit should not enable Google, or any other company with similar practices, to continue disclaiming specific promises to limit data collection through conflicting disclosures in a general Privacy Policy.

Basically, Google can lie to you and still harvest your data. Doesn't matter what the law says.

Kind of like credit card co's that gather your data and then force you to 'opt out' of them gathering your data, otherwise they're going to gather your data!

It should be we have complete privacy and THEY should ask permission to harvest!

With Chromium, the open-source derivative of Chrome, right out there...you're really lazy and/or foolish to mess with Chrome.

I have multiple browsers...the only thing I use Chromium for, is my Gurgle-mail. Which I should never have gotten, but I have had it 18 years, and it's too much work and cost to buy another email account and move things.

I like Firefox for anon surfing - and noting else - because it's easy to wipe History. So if I just need information, or want to watch something on Eww Toob....I can just clear the history when I'm done.

I rely on Brave but I don't trust them, either. Instead of open advertising, they're using Product Placement in their opening screen splash. I learned all about Ford's stupid electric trucks, all last week...

Back
Top Bottom