California becomes first state to offer health insurance to all undocumented immigrants

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I guess Abbott is going to start sending all illegals crossing the border into Texas to California then. The Mayor of New York City will be relieved.

Which makes insurance unaffordable for small business owners themselves.

I guess Abbott is going to start sending all illegals crossing the border into Texas to California then. The Mayor of New York City will be relieved.
It's cheaper to bus them elsewhere for sure!

Which makes insurance unaffordable for small business owners themselves.

I'm guessing the Cali insurance is a state managed plan and paid for by the Cali taxpayers.

Edit: Found it:

70% funded by Federal Government. Why the fuck are my taxes paying for health insurance for low income Californians?

Eleven states and Washington, D.C., together provide full health insurance coverage to more than 1 million low-income immigrants regardless of their legal status, according to state data compiled by KFF Health News. Most aren't authorized to live in the U.S., state officials say.

Enrollment in these programs could nearly double by 2025 as at least seven states initiate or expand coverage. In January, Republican-controlled Utah will start covering children regardless of immigration status, while New York and California will widen eligibility to cover more adults.
... The state with the most unauthorized residents with state-provided health insurance is California, which currently covers about 655,000 immigrants without regard for their legal status. In January, it will expand coverage to people ages 26-49 regardless of their immigration status, benefiting an estimated 700,000 additional Californians.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C., and Washington state also provide full coverage to some people living in the U.S. without authorization. New York and Washington state are expanding eligibility next year.

Oregon, Colorado, and New Jersey in recent years began covering more than 100,000 people in total regardless of legal status. Minnesota will follow in 2025, covering an estimated 40,000 people.

That's insane.

I've been considering it for a long time.
But now that I'm retired, I think it's definitely time to REALLY dig into exactly where to go and become an expat.

I've been considering it for a long time.
But now that I'm retired, I think it's definitely time to REALLY dig into exactly where to go and become an expat.
Vietnam, Philippines, Belize, Uruguay, Panama or Dominican Republic are good places to start.

I read somewhere that 70% of the is from federal tax dollars or programs. That means everyone is paying for it regardless of where they live.

Vietnam, Philippines, Belize, Uruguay, Panama or Dominican Republic are good places to start.
I'd still like to stay here.

We've also talked about buying some acreage in east Texas and settling there. I'd like to have a place where I can simply walk out the backdoor and shoot.

Texas requires you to own 50 acres to shoot long guns on your property. There are exceptions, and like most things, they're all over the place depending on exactly where you're at. Incorporated or unincorporated land, the phrase no restrictions doesn't necessarily mean no restrictions, etc.

In fact, I started a thread asking if anyone has set up an indoor shooting range because of those very factors. Just in case I can't find a suitable 50+-acre site.

But with more and more bullsh*t happening here in the States, heading abroad seems more likely each time we discuss things.

My wife has friends in Panama who have invited us to come down. They absolutely love it. They'll show us around and teach us all the tricks they've learned since they've been there. We will probably take that trip sometime this year and check it out.

Belize is on our list, as is Ecuador.

I had a buddy who lived in Cuenca for a while and really liked it. He said there were, obviously, some adjustments that he had to make and wasn't bothered by most of them. But one thing was for sure: the internet service was spotty, and he just couldn't rely on it, so he ended up moving to a small place outside of Guayaquil (Playas, possibly?) and then once more to Montanita. Then, all of a sudden, he just dropped off the face of the earth. I still don't know what happened to him.

One of our old buddies over at GIM and I had an email discussion about Poland going on for quite some time.

I'm embarrassed to admit it; I forget who it was. My memory isn't the greatest.

But if I remember correctly, his wife's parents lived in Wroclaw. The father had passed, and the mother wasn't doing well. He and his wife were going to go over and take over the old home and go from there. Possibly stay there, or eventually sell the house and get an apartment.

I've only been retired for a few months, and my wife retires on Thursday. Once she exhales and shakes off the stench of corporate America, we'll start having serious discussions about where we'll end up.

So, as you can see, we're nowhere near a resolution in this decision-making process. I barely started.

Who knows where we'll end up?

But if these cancerous ideas from out of California start spreading to other states like they almost always seemingly do, heading abroad is more and more likely.

@JayDubya - you can explore expatriation ideas in this old thread:

Back
Top Bottom