carvana blow up and used car prices

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cheka

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
i keep an eye on autotrader.com. carvana is in danger of going bk. yesterday i did my normal survey on AT - it was swamped with carvana listings. the used car market may finally be breaking as carvana dumps their massive inventory in an attempt to raise cash and stave off bk

i keep an eye on autotrader.com. carvana is in danger of going bk. yesterday i did my normal survey on AT - it was swamped with carvana listings. the used car market may finally be breaking as carvana dumps their massive inventory in an attempt to raise cash and stave off bk
I'm looking for a used camper. I'm watching marketplace. No one seems to be buying. I'm waiting.

My 2014, 92K miles CRV is paid for. I figure I should get 200K out of it. At 10k a year that's 11 years.

Never thought buying a car from a building with an elevator would last....

We were considering an RV but decided if we wanted one to travel we'd rent it. Storage costs - can't park it in our neighborhood. Winterizing. Maintenance etc. helped make the decision.

Folks down the street who owned one told us the same thing. Kind of like owning a B.O.A.T. = break out another thousand.

My 2014, 92K miles CRV is paid for. I figure I should get 200K out of it. At 10k a year that's 11 years.

Never thought buying a car from a building with an elevator would last....

We were considering an RV but decided if we wanted one to travel we'd rent it. Storage costs - can't park it in our neighborhood. Winterizing. Maintenance etc. helped make the decision.

Folks down the street who owned one told us the same thing. Kind of like owning a B.O.A.T. = break out another thousand.
I always say, “If it Flies, Floats or F**ks, it is cheaper to rent.” I guess I’ll have to add RV to that. Is there a word that begins with the letter F to describe a RV? :)

I'm not planning of traveling with it. I'm planning on pulling it down to the back of my property facing the pond and moving my work shop into it. I want to spend the majority of my day looking a trees and not seeing any humans.

Last cruise sat at dinner with some folks in the RV industry, that told me that they were fielding calls daily from clients wanting to sell. There model did not include resale but they were pondering it as they approached a the new year with much higher rates...

What's your budget?

I am not that handy! I have seen some cute remodels on those old campers. I wish I could do remodeling stuff . I'm not sure what my budget is. 10-12k maybe. I have been reading and buying one is complex. After the first of the year I was going to start an RV/camper thread.

Last cruise sat at dinner with some folks in the RV industry, that told me that they were fielding calls daily from clients wanting to sell. There model did not include resale but they were pondering it as they approached a the new year with much higher rates...
From what I am seeing on yotube the industry is going to be flooded with repossessions. I have cash so ill watch and wait.

I've had WGO, Winnebago on my possible short list. Chart is looking weak. Might have to look at more options. It's a pretty decent company but obviously I don't see this going well either.

I'm not planning of traveling with it. I'm planning on pulling it down to the back of my property facing the pond and moving my work shop into it. I want to spend the majority of my day looking a trees and not seeing any humans.
I'd build a 2 car garage. More functional. Probably cost you the same as an RV - one that would be worth getting that is? It will increase property value as well. $15k thereabouts depending on how custom you want it to be.

Average Cost to Build a Two-Car Detached Garage​

If you’re looking to add a detached two-car garage to your home, there are a number of factors that will determine the price. Here's what you need to know to help keep the cost in check.

The Cheapest Way to Build a Garage​

I just used this link to get a quote by TuffShed - they're more 'commercial' than most. Probably find some local small builders in your area?

You'll need a concrete floor with minimal foundation depending on your area building codes. Local mud company quote here.

Pulling a permit they're quoting $525 and 'engineering' cost for $500 - that's total BS. They already have the plans (you can buy a plan online for cheap $). Anyone can pull a permit and it's not $525!

One coat of paint, they'll supply you with a 2nd coat & materials - If I read that correctly?

This garage also has a 'man door' (side entrance) as well. Electric - if you want lights will need to be run from the house to site. Probably underground in plastic conduit below frost line? Wiring isn't that difficult to do yourself, but an electrician would do it faster, unless you know how to do it already? Never too old to learn!!

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 10.08.34 AM.png

Not only that... if the economy tanks as we here all seem to think that is a very real possibility... you'll have plenty of folks looking for work.

One caveat DO NOT pay someone all the $ upfront to build it. Maybe half? Have the materials delivered. Pay for them and then as the job is completed pay as you go. You don't want to fork over all your dough and have them disappear!

Last edited:
I've had WGO, Winnebago on my possible short list. Chart is looking weak. Might have to look at more options. It's a pretty decent company but obviously I don't see this going well either.
i like tho, but it never gets cheap enough for me to own it. cwh is another one i watch

I always say, “If it Flies, Floats or F**ks, it is cheaper to rent.” I guess I’ll have to add RV to that. Is there a word that begins with the letter F to describe a RV? :)
I looked into renting an RV. It was over $150 a day for a van-based motorhome. You can get a pretty-decent motel room, even now, for $150.

I opted to buy a trailer, which wasn't cheap, either. But it can do double-duty as emergency housing, if, as and when.

I'd build a 2 car garage. More functional. Probably cost you the same as an RV - one that would be worth getting that is? It will increase property value as well. $15k thereabouts depending on how custom you want it to be.

Average Cost to Build a Two-Car Detached Garage​

If you’re looking to add a detached two-car garage to your home, there are a number of factors that will determine the price. Here's what you need to know to help keep the cost in check.

The Cheapest Way to Build a Garage​

I just used this link to get a quote by TuffShed - they're more 'commercial' than most. Probably find some local small builders in your area?

You'll need a concrete floor with minimal foundation depending on your area building codes. Local mud company quote here.

Pulling a permit they're quoting $525 and 'engineering' cost for $500 - that's total BS. They already have the plans (you can buy a plan online for cheap $). Anyone can pull a permit and it's not $525!

One coat of paint, they'll supply you with a 2nd coat & materials - If I read that correctly?

This garage also has a 'man door' (side entrance) as well. Electric - if you want lights will need to be run from the house to site. Probably underground in plastic conduit below frost line? Wiring isn't that difficult to do yourself, but an electrician would do it faster, unless you know how to do it already? Never too old to learn!!

View attachment 3420

Not only that... if the economy tanks as we here all seem to think that is a very real possibility... you'll have plenty of folks looking for work.

One caveat DO NOT pay someone all the $ upfront to build it. Maybe half? Have the materials delivered. Pay for them and then as the job is completed pay as you go. You don't want to fork over all your dough and have them disappear!
Why do men always think a garage is the solution. 🤣

we don't think of it as "the solution".......rather "one possible solution"

other possibilities include:

Tits

Sex

Sexy titties

A canon

Tall ships

really fast snowmobiles

none of which will fit into a kitchen

Tits

Sex

Sexy titties

A canon

Tall ships

really fast snowmobiles

Two "n"s in "Cannon."

Unless your solution involves taking dirty pictures.

There is one solution that fits in a kitchen. When she's not serving sammaches or beers.

Why do women always first thing go into the kitchen when buying a house?

A garage will increase the value of your property. You can do many things with such a building. Park vehicles in it. Insulate it and make a MIL apartment. Hold music parties in that space. Rent it out to someone who needs a garage.

An RV is a mobile home and a depreciating asset. You can move it. You can hide in it.

Men are logic driven.

A garage will increase the value of your property. You can do many things with such a building. Park vehicles in it. Insulate it and make a MIL apartment. Hold music parties in that space. Rent it out to someone who needs a garage.
What you CAN'T do, is park a Tesla in it.

Not unless you want to burn the house down...and maybe die in that fire, more intense than a magnesium fire.

I wonder if there's a way to put together a private fire company that specializes in electric-car fires. Franchise it for every city...the fire department finds a Muskmobile setting off Roman-candle balls, just call TSLAFIRE, and they roll up with a great big tub and fire-resistant gantry to lift the POS into it.

Give it time. Musk will develop a special firefighting solution for electric car fires that he will sell to fire departments.

An RV is a mobile home and a depreciating asset. You can move it. You can hide in it.

Men are logic driven.

I can't think of anything that depreciates quite as quickly as a mobile home / camper. And I've heard that if you don't store them under roof, you can expect big problems down the road. At that point, just put up a Morton building if it doesn't have to be mobile.

I can't think of anything that depreciates quite as quickly as a mobile home / camper. And I've heard that if you don't store them under roof, you can expect big problems down the road. At that point, just put up a Morton building if it doesn't have to be mobile.

Bought a used trailer a while back. Never had any problems being uncovered. Previous owner did the same as I, left it parked outside by a lake.

Bought a used trailer a while back. Never had any problems being uncovered. Previous owner did the same as I, left it parked outside by a lake.

Did some lurking on a trailer forum a while back when the Mrs. and I were thinking of getting one. Saw a lot of threads regarding roof leaks and the best ways to repair them. Saw a lot of posts recommending storing the campers under a roof so that the sun and weather weren't constantly beating on them. Constant exposure to the weather can lead to rubber seals getting brittle and caulk seams rotting out. Seemed to be fairly common on older units. I was going to build out a side of one of my hay barns to form a car port-type of affair and have a slab poured under it for the trailer to rest on. Never pulled the trigger on the trailer, though, as we finally decided that it wouldn't get enough use.

If that was the case, RV roofs would last forever. I've seen them plastered with aluminum tar paste repairs. Of course geographic location would have an effect.

I'd still build a garage and rent an RV.

If that was the case, RV roofs would last forever. I've seen them plastered with aluminum tar paste repairs. Of course geographic location would have an effect.

I'd still build a garage and rent an RV.

Had a lot of trees around it, so not the kind of sun damage one would get in say Arizona.

My house has a membrane flat roof. I just added a layer of silicone coating (two coats) to make it last longer. Estimates vary, but product has 50 year warranty. If I clean it at least once a year, I’d expect at least 20 years before adding another coat of two.

Quote for a new roof (it’s ~2800 square feet) was north of $65,000, silicone (my labor) was ~$10,000.

Men are logic driven.
Pfttt... I think I am more logic driven then a lot of men. I am planning on putting this in the woods. That is not a logical place for a garage. Its purpose will not require it be moved but it would nice if the need arises to be able to move it.:p

Tits

Sex

Sexy titties

A canon

Tall ships

really fast snowmobiles

I have always wanted a cannon. I seem to recall a thread on that subject years ago on GIM.

I have always wanted a cannon. I seem to recall a thread on that subject years ago on GIM.
Well, if I were your man, it would be no question - we'll buy one, or have one made.

That's something the whole family can enjoy.

...the neighbors, not so much....

you want a happy meal or two shares of carvana?

shares are down from 240 to 3

Carvana Shares Crash As Creditors Form Pact Amid Soaring Bankruptcy Risks​

Those awesome Wall St IPO's. It went public via an IPO in 2017. They always want to harp on SPAC's simply because they skipped the Wall St IPO scams.

you want a happy meal or two shares of carvana?

shares are down from 240 to 3

Carvana Shares Crash As Creditors Form Pact Amid Soaring Bankruptcy Risks​

Well, that's the nature of a Bubble Economy, with asset prices based on nothing at all.

Also, it's what happens once the Free Money Machine is shut off or slowed down. No moar ZIRP overnight loans to Banksters, to stuff their house accounts, to sell in a few weeks to bigger fools.

Well, that didn't go as planned.... or maybe it did?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom