Central banks repatriating gold?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
An increasing number of countries are repatriating gold reserves as protection against the sort of sanctions imposed by the West on Russia, according to an Invesco survey of central bank and sovereign wealth funds published on Monday.
One central bank, quoted anonymously, said: "We did have it (gold) held in London... but now we've transferred it back to own country to hold as a safe haven asset and to keep it safe."

Rod Ringrow, Invesco's head of official institutions, who oversaw the report, said that is a broadly-held view.

"'If it's my gold then I want it in my country' (has) been the mantra we have seen in the last year or so," he said.

Been a while since I heard any specific news on this topic...

Gold has hit a new ATH. Efforts to shine a light on central bank repatriations from the Fed vaults have been rebuffed. Romania in the news now wanting their gold back from Russia:

The gold reserve of the National Bank of Romania, weighing 91.5 tons of fine gold (in coins and ingots), Queen Marie’s jewels, and important historical and cultural valuables were shipped to Russia in two stages, in December 1916 and in August 1917. ...
Cognizant of the fact that the issue of its gold reserve seized by the Russians is not known internationally, the National Bank of Romania Board decided to support the initiative to bring it to the fore at the European Parliament. For this purpose, the works authored by Cristian Păunescu, The Romanian National Bank Treasure taken to Moscow and never returned, and Ilie Schipor, Romania’s Treasury and its destiny. Arguments from the Russian Archives, were translated into English and distributed to every MEP. Moreover, on March 5, 2024, the exhibition ‘The gold Treasure of the National Bank of Romania sent to Moscow and never returned — A claim older than a century’, presenting the odyssey of the central bank’s gold, was opened at the European Parliament. ...

Pictures of the exhibition can be found here:

20240305_Bruxelles_1.jpg

Would you keep your own gold in the hands of the US government or any bank for that matter? I don't think so. If you are on the wrong side of their politics they will confiscate it.

Would you keep your own gold in the hands of the US government or any bank for that matter? I don't think so. If you are on the wrong side of their politics they will confiscate it.
They say the reason for keeping the national gold reserves in NY and London is because they are the major trading hubs, so it'd be easy to sell it if needed.

Back
Top Bottom